1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Springfield Compact this week. Short grip aluminum frame, 4 inch barrel with bushing, part of the feed ramp is the frame (not the new ramped barrel). It has Brazil stamped on the frame. I noticed some small nicks in the alloy feed ramp. I thought I might have trouble and sure enough I do.

I was shooting handloads with the Remington 230 Golden Saber JHP. The piece jammed twice in about 50 rounds. The jams had the cartridge sitting vertiaclly with the bullet up against the hood on the top/back of the chamber.

There are a couple things I dont care for about the gun. I am thinking about just selling it back to the shop. I really want a reliable piece for protection. On the other hand maybe it can be fixed??? Any ideas what to do to it? I don't know if I can ever trust it again. To me after any fix I would still have some reservations. Maybe that feeling is unjustified.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ha a problem like that with my micro compact shooting HP's out of my chipmcormic mags. So id suggest trying a different magazine...

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having issues, but I would call SA and have them take a look. before you bust out the Dremel. I know for a fact they will take care of it. Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If its brand new there is a breakin period. It took 600-800 (i lost count, thats alot of shooting :)) rounds in my compact before it ate everythig in its path.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The small nicks that you noticed on the frame ramp area is from using the mags with the split follower. The spilt follower is banging/beating/denting the ramp area when it loading the last round. Switch to a Wilson or Tripps Research follower and that should stop the damage from reoccuring.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Have you got pictures of the magazine feed lips and the ramp/barrel juncture? There are some real experts on this forum but everyone does better at diagnosis when there's pictures. My GUESS is that your magazine might be releasing the cartridge too early. Lots of 1911 magazines have to be 'tuned' to feed hollow points because of the difference in the bullet shape from 230 fmj. There are a couple of 185 gr jhp loads that might work just fine in your pistol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried to get photos. I really need a bright light to get a good one. You really cant see much in the picts I took.:(

Anyway there are nicks or cuts that are semicircular in shape. Kind of like smiles, they curve upwards on the left and right side. There are several small cuts like this on the feed ramp portion of the frame. They are scattered up and down the ramp, they are centered slightly to the right of center.

I believe they are from the jackets of the hollowpoints. I had a Colt lightweight officers model a number of years ago that did something real similar. It would get one curved cut on the ramp where the JHPs would hit it. Then the rounds would jam vertically, like these. I sanded it down with 400 grit and it would work well until the ramp got cut again (about 200 rounds).

This gun seems to have several cuts instead of one big one. I guess it is from the same thing. It is a used a gun. I am not sure how old, but I guess it is from about early 90s. It is stamped with Brazil on the frame, does not have an integrated feed ramp. I used Wilson mags that work fine in my Kimber, so I really dont think the mag is the prob. It came with the factory Springfield mag. Overall the gun shows little wear except on the feed ramp.

Cylinder and Slide used to install a steel insert. I dont know if they still do that or what it would cost. I have not sanded the cuts down yet, I am sure that would void any warranty. Will Springfield honor a warranty to someone who buys a used gun??

·
Premium Member
11,639 Posts
... Then the rounds would jam vertically, like these. I sanded it down with 400 grit and it would work well until the ramp got cut again (about 200 rounds).

... Overall the gun shows little wear except on the feed ramp.

Cylinder and Slide used to install a steel insert. ... I have not sanded the cuts down yet, I am sure that would void any warranty. Will Springfield honor a warranty to someone who buys a used gun??
When you sand aluminum, you are exposing softer metal underneath the anodized coating. It will get progressively worse. EGW and Chuck Rogers both install steel feedramp inserts as well as a few others. In my experience, Springfield will bend over backwards to help you even if you did buy it used. T

·
Registered
867 Posts
Imltho

You can try some other magazines. However, I think that you should call SA and see what they recommend.

As stated here, the nicks are most likely due to split magazine follower found on +1 magazines. You don't want to try and polish the aluminum alloy frame ramp.

You have a potentially great carry gun there, good luck in getting it squared away.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my main question is this: Is the 4 inch bushing arrangement a reliable system?? Is this gun worth fixing?? After I have the frame issue fixed will it work well or will it still have issues? Is the 4 inch with bushing a robust design?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think that it's hard to answer your question for several reasons. We don't know what it needs to be fixed or the cost of the repairs. SA may fix it for you, including shipping there and back under warranty.

They no longer make the model you have, and their current guns with 4" barrel top ends now use bushing-less barrels, as do Kimber & Wilson Combat. The only SA Compact (4" barrel on a shorter grip frame) available now from SA is a custom shop gun, the Custom Carry.

If you do some searches here you'll find people with your gun.

I'd try some other magazines and 230 ball ammunition to see if it works at all. If it works with ball try the defensive ammunition you'd like to carry. JHP's with aggressive hollow point cavities may also ding your frame.

Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's probably not much consolation, but I have a GI Champion steel frame and it jammed on me 7 times - couldn't strip and chamber the first round in either the stock magazine or a new Chip McCormick Power Mag. Hoping it will "break in," otherwise back to Springfield for warranty work or their Custom Shop "defense" package which is a reliability tune up. I've been told the extractor might be too tight and slowing down the round as it comes up out of the magazine. Whatever. It's a 1911, not a Glock.

·
Registered
867 Posts
.. I have a GI Champion steel frame and it jammed on me 7 times
One thing that you might try as part of a process of elimination is to remove the extractor and re-install the firing pin stop; see if you can easily chamber a round by depressing the slide stop. Obviously you will have to carefully push the loaded round out from the muzzle if it feeds. This may indicate that the the extractor tension is at least part of your problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts