1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to order a modified TRP Professional from SA Custom. Just like the HRT gun, but no MIM, solid trigger, 25 LPI checkering, no ambi-safety, an extra extractor, and a couple spring kits (might as well get it while the gun's already there). Anyone have a clue as to how long it would take 'em? I mean, I'm willing to wait a two or three months, but six to eight is just too much. I can't seem to get a straight answer from SA Custom, so I thought I'd ask you guys. Thanks!

Kyle

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think you'd be better getting a TRP, shooting it, then sending it in for mods. I would think you'd get better turn around time. I realize you'd have to live with the 20 LPI checkering then. I'm gonna shoot my loaded and send it in for only the things I want after using it some.

·
Registered
867 Posts
#1. If you want to get something in two or three months look for something on the shelf already. I was quoted seven months for a Custom Shop gun last summer.

#2. The Pro owners can tell you better, but I'm pretty sure you can not get one with 25 LPI checkering. I think that the Pro's are pretty much take them as they come; otherwise it wouldn't be a Pro.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hello,

You can order a Custom Shop gun any way you'd like. You can say, "I'd like a Professional with these changes," and they will make it - but it will not be a Professional. That is, it won't say it on the slide and it won't have the CRG prefix.

Any Custom Shop gun you order will be built to the same standards for reliability and accuracy. If you want it just the way you wrote, eight months is very reasonable for the quality of guns Dave Williams' team puts out.

Honestly, too many get caught up with the idea of the Professional as what's important - truthfully the Professional is a Custom Shop gun with certain markings on it, rather than Custom Shop guns being like the Professional. When it went through its trials it was just one of their custom guns being put through the paces.

Order it how you want it! :)

Andy

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just talked to Deb yesterday. She says a custom gun will take 6 months just like it always has with them. I about to order my 6th gun complete gun from the custom shop and have had 6 others worked on by them. I can't say enough good things about the Custom Shop.
Like was stated before you can have that gun but it won't be a CRG gun and it won't say Pro on the slide.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Like Mr. Player I am a big Custom Shop fan. They've worked on 5 guns for me so far. A ground-up Springfield Custom Shop custom gun will take 6-8 months, and that is an accurate estimate. You will not get it any sooner.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Been down the same path myself. Will take 6 mos or so depending on backlog. At this point they are about the only option for a guy to get a custom built 1911 in CA. They do very fine work, and are one of the great values out there if you check what top smiths get for work. And unlike most custom smiths, 6 months means 6 months, not 2 years.

What you want is a Custom Carry with the appropriate addons. I own a Pro and a custom Carry and they are of the same build quality. As stated above if you modify even one feature on a Pro it won't be a Pro anymore.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was thinking of sending in a Pro and having a few changes made to it. Now I am afraid they may grind the name off the slide.:biglaugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts