1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here so Hello! Have a GI 3 inch model it has been unreliable since having purchased. Had all the typical feeding issues Now over 600 rounds through it all with hardball Main issue now is failure to feed last round from magazine no matter how many are in it . Is this perticular model and barrel length prone to feeding issues Tried various magazines, one wilson .I have not sent it back to springfield yet. Has anyone had this model with these problems and has the factory been able to correct them I,m just considering going to a longer model I did not want to get involved experimenting with part changes more magazines etc. Thoughts appreciated Thanks Dave

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
S/A customer service is the best. Short 1911 do seem to have more feeding issues, from what I have read. I don't own a "shorty" but I do own 2-4" 1911, a SS Champion Loaded and a Kimber BP Pro Carry Ten II. The Champ is good to go. The BP was a jam-o-matic out of the box, weak mag springs. Went to different springs and it's good to go. What type of failures are you having?

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Main issue now is failure to feed last round from magazine no matter how many are in it .
I would check and adjust the extractor tension. Last round failures can be caused by an extractor that needs more tension. It happens on the last round because there isn't a round under it to keep it in the extractor hook....it falls and will cause a FTF.

·
Registered
930 Posts
now failure to feed last round ,no matter how many in mag or which mag have to slam the slide to close
If you continue to have problems SA will pay to send it back and they will make it right for you, the best CS in the business.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Same issue

I had the same issue as you with last round not feeding as well as some FTF's. I had sent my LW Micro-compact in for some mods and asked that issues be fixed. It took a second trip and them fixing the mags ( I want to say the followers?). Since then I took it out and shot another 100 rounds of WW 230FMJ through it and could not get it to jam. I love the gun but I agree with alot of people in that the 3" needs to be tuned due to its short slide movement.
Yes, it took two trips, but both were paid by SA and I have complete confidence in pistol now. SA never argued and they were very helpful through process. I just explained exactly what was happening and I sent in the two mags with pistol. Make sure you call first. For its purpose I think you will be very happy with the pistol, but IMHO you may need to send it in for tuning. I love the gun because I can throw it in my jacket when I am running up to store in early morning and it is easier to hide than 5". So give a gun a chance. PM me if you want more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replys. From reading the posts and considering the replys I took a pair of pliers and bent up on the follower thinking the increased angle may help feed the last round and working it by hand it did. I have yet to fire it but I'm more confident that it may feed it. Thanks Dave

·
Banned
44 Posts
S/A customer service is the best. Short 1911 do seem to have more feeding issues, from what I have read. I don't own a "shorty" but I do own 2-4" 1911, a SS Champion Loaded and a Kimber BP Pro Carry Ten II. The Champ is good to go. The BP was a jam-o-matic out of the box, weak mag springs. Went to different springs and it's good to go. What type of failures are you having?
Sorry to change the subject, but I'm very interested in the different springs you used in the mags for your Kimber. I have a BP Pro Ten II (4", not the Carry) and would like to know where you got those springs. My BP had a few initial break-in issues, but it has run fine ever since with one 10 and two 13 round magazines. I know I'll need springs one day, so I'd really appreciate your source. Were they just new springs from Kimber? Thanks!

·
Banned
44 Posts
I would check and adjust the extractor tension. Last round failures can be caused by an extractor that needs more tension. It happens on the last round because there isn't a round under it to keep it in the extractor hook....it falls and will cause a FTF.
Wrong. He said failure to FTFEED the last round, not extract the fired case.

MORE extractor tension would make it harder for the last round to slide up the breech face and behind the extractor, thereby making it worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts