1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had it for about a year now. When I first got it, it failed to feed and eject. Called customer service and they were excellent. Got the RMA within minutes and shipped it. Got it back within 2 weeks. They polished the feed ramp and installed a new extractor. Went to test fire it and guess what.... Failed to feed and failed to eject. Sent it back again. Got it back within 2 weeks. Perfect! No failures of any kind. Now while doing a thumb safety check. Hammer cocked, thumb safety engaged, pull the trigger and the hammer moves forward ever so slightly. Pull the hammer back and I hear a click meaning the hammer is now fully engaged with the sear. Thumb safety is not fully engaged with the sear. Big safety issue. Called customer service and sent it out. Got it back within 10 days. Repair sheet reads " thumb safety refit" Guess what? Nothing changed. Thumb safety is still not preventing sear movement when the trigger is pulled. Sent it back again! I'll see when I get it back. Customer service is the best I've ever dealt with. The repair shop is a different story. It must cost them a small fortune if people have to send it back twice for the same issues and they have to ship it back to the customer again. Anybody experience the same ? Sending it back twice for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You sure you didn't accidentally purchase a Para-USA??? Yikes!
Man! I hope they get it straight this time. By now, somebody a little higher up the food chain should be leaning on these guys to make sure they fix it right this time.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Yes hopefully they get you straighten out this time.. Usually hear nothing but praises from Springfield customer service and repairs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's very frustrating. Again, the customer service rep was very sympathetic and very helpful. I hope they get it right this time. I believe a new thumb safety has to be fitted. Any movement of the sear when the thumb safety is engaged is unsafe. I'm guessing I should get it back within 10 to 14 days. If it's the same when I get it back, I'll buy a thumb safety and have my smith install it properly. Thx guys.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Sounds like you've got a couple of parts that are at opposite ends of the tolerance allowances. It's too bad but it does happen. Ya know what though? You're dealing with SA and not Kimber-they'll fix it and your warranty won't expire!

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
That's a pretty unusual story regarding Springfield Armory. Makes me wonder what's going on up there. Sure, tolerances on parts are all over the map but whoever is working on the gun is supposed to select and fit parts so they work together. There's "smithing"and there's "assembling".

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Demand may be slowing down now but a year ago everyone was playing catch up and I think everyone's QC had slipped a cog or two...everyone's...demand had outstripped production capacity by a long shot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once the repair work is done, I wonder if somebody else double checks it before being sent out. If this was done, it should have never been sent back to me. A buddy of mine dropped off his car for an oil change. Guess what? They forgot to put oil in. Ouch! I should have it back within 2 weeks or so. I'd be happy if they got it right this time. Thx guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked it up today from my dealer. Springfield replace the sear and thumb safety. It is Perfect! The trigger pull before was good and a little gritty but I didn't mind. Now all the grittiness is gone. Trigger pull is excellent. Thumb safety is excellent. My thanks to Springfield Armory for an outstanding job.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you guys would quit sending in your warranty work and fix it yourselves my custom work would get done sooner.:)

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
:rock:

Picked it up today from my dealer. Springfield replace the sear and thumb safety. It is Perfect! The trigger pull before was good and a little gritty but I didn't mind. Now all the grittiness is gone. Trigger pull is excellent. Thumb safety is excellent. My thanks to Springfield Armory for an outstanding job.
Springfield and Dillon, hard to beat!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a Canadian Para "kit frame" that came with a SA GI slide and barrel combo attached. I've had tons of FTF/FTE issues since picking it up, and thought the problems were from the Para parts/magazines. Now you've got me thinking the problems might be in the SA upper. When you mentioned your hammer and thumb safety, was the hammer "half cocked"? Mine does that too. Any info you can offer will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
The GI's were all built in Brazil by Imbel. Imbel is probably the only company outside of Colt that has made a 1911 style pistol the longest. My stainless GI has been reliable since day one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a Canadian Para "kit frame" that came with a SA GI slide and barrel combo attached. I've had tons of FTF/FTE issues since picking it up, and thought the problems were from the Para parts/magazines. Now you've got me thinking the problems might be in the SA upper. When you mentioned your hammer and thumb safety, was the hammer "half cocked"? Mine does that too. Any info you can offer will be much appreciated.
The hammer was fully cocked with the thumb safety engaged. Then I pulled the trigger and the hammer moved ever so slightly indicating sear movement which is very dangerous. The thumb safety was not fully engaged with the sear which caused sear movement when the trigger was pulled. FTF and FTE can be a number of things. What comes to mind is the ramp may need polishing or maybe bad magazines. Hardball feeds better than hollow points. FTE can be the extractor may need to be tuned. Again. It can be a number of things. Try going to YouTube and maybe you can narrow it fown. Good Luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The hammer was fully cocked with the thumb safety engaged. Then I pulled the trigger and the hammer moved ever so slightly indicating sear movement which is very dangerous. The thumb safety was not fully engaged with the sear which caused sear movement when the trigger was pulled. FTF and FTE can be a number of things. What comes to mind is the ramp may need polishing or maybe bad magazines. Hardball feeds better than hollow points. FTE can be the extractor may need to be tuned. Again. It can be a number of things. Try going to YouTube and maybe you can narrow it fown. Good Luck.
Thanks for the info. I really don't think the problem is in the top of the gun. While the ramp probably could use a little polishing, I think most of the problem is the magazines. I've got some Wolff overpowered mag springs coming for the Para Ordnance double stack mags, so hopefully that solves the problem. As for ammo...the two times I've shot the pistol, the only ammo I used was some UMC target loads.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the info. I really don't think the problem is in the top of the gun. While the ramp probably could use a little polishing, I think most of the problem is the magazines. I've got some Wolff overpowered mag springs coming for the Para Ordnance double stack mags, so hopefully that solves the problem. As for ammo...the two times I've shot the pistol, the only ammo I used was some UMC target loads.
Is the extractor correctly tensioned? I would make sure before I touched the ramp. I properly tuned pistol should run without the need to polish the ramp...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is the extractor correctly tensioned? I would make sure before I touched the ramp. I properly tuned pistol should run without the need to polish the ramp...
I'm not 100% sure? I bought it used, but with everything I've read about the old Para Ordnance kits, I'm pretty sure it's the magazines. I wasn't going to polish the ramp right away. The new magazine springs should be here in the next day or two, and hopefully they solve the problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The extractor is the culprit in a lot of 1911 issues. Quality mags should feed. Sometimes changing them fixes the symptoms because they help the extractor do its job. I'd check tension...tons of videos on YouTube and it is a zero cost fix...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts