1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden I really want one of these. I love the base look and would like to use it to tinker with, slightly.
What do you guys think?
Thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You probably won't get anyone trying to talk you out of this idea (plenty of Springfield nuts hanging around here)! :)

I agree that a basic, classic 1911 is a beautiful thing. It's hard to go wrong with a GI as a base to build on. Go for it!

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
The GI model is a nostalgia pistol. Great for reenactors or experiencing the difficultied Grand Dad had using the M1911 in "the war" (take your pick!). ;)

If you use it as a base pistol to modify it can be a money pit as it needs too much modification to even approach the base Loaded model.

I had one for a couple of years, shot it quite a bit, sold it and bought a more modern generation like the Loaded.

I understand tinkering. But for a first M1911 I think the GI model is as poor a choice as any.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
130 Posts
It was my first pistol. It depends what you're going to use it for. Range use for defensive use? If its the latter I'd go with a loaded. If its for fun, the GI model might fit the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is not my first 1911 what-so-ever. I just like it for its organicness.
I would hope it would perform as a defense gun, if needed, but it would be mostly for the range.
I would like a loaded, but I just can't stand the FCS.
Can anyone reconmend something similar? I also have a craving for a Springfield as I don't have one in my collection.
Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The Mil-Spec is a pretty good alternative to the GI. Still has the classic look (such as no front serrations and standard grip safety), but incorporates some useful upgrades like a widened ejection port. I'm not sure what your opinion is of the big Springfield Armory logo on the slide though...

You could always just have Springfield (or any good smith) modify the port on the GI. If you're just plinking, the port is the only big difference between the GI and the Mil-Spec.

Since we're already talking about modifying the GI, it still sounds like it's the one to get. Your original post mentioned you were going to tinker anyways, right? :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought one. I am going to use it as a play gun. I will replace the ILS, trigger, hammer, grips. Will run the MIM parts until they break. I have all new parts waiting to go in if needed. One word on the parkerizing. Black as night. I don't like it but will run it as is. If I just can't live with it I will put a SDM gold dot front sight a Yost retro rear and refinish the gun in one of the wonder finishes (melonite, black T ect). Take care and have fun with it. John.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, the Mil-Spec. Now I forgot about this one. This might be a nice alternative. I will have to look and see what the price difference is between them.
Concerning the parkerizing, I love it. I want the pistol to show some wear here and there and there is something about parkerizing that I like, but the sights are a different story. I will probably agree with your sentiments there. I don't think I will like the plain black iron sights.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have other 1911's as well. Some of them are high end from smiths with reputations. I like these guns very much. As for the lower tier stuff I don't think you can go wrong with the Springfield GI basic. The sights are not the best but from what I have found they are OK for work up close. Most of us forget that the pistol is to be used at rather close range and from my experience I tend to look down the slide and "grab" the target rather quickly. Minute of mass rather than the quarter size group at 15ft. Don't get me wrong I appreciate a fine tuned 1911 as much as the next guy but don't count out the basic GI for getting the job done.

The GI basic 45 is a fun gun that is all business if needed. Most of us will never need it other than a fun day at the range. I think it is a great starting platform for what ever you want to do with it. Or just leave it alone and be content with a basic no frills piece.

The mill-spec will give you a lowered ejection port and better sights (still not all that great). IF you get a chance handle both of them-one of them will talk to you. Good luck and keep us posted. John.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Fringe said:
Oh, the Mil-Spec. Now I forgot about this one. This might be a nice alternative. I will have to look and see what the price difference is between them.
Concerning the parkerizing, I love it. I want the pistol to show some wear here and there and there is something about parkerizing that I like, but the sights are a different story. I will probably agree with your sentiments there. I don't think I will like the plain black iron sights.
Go to GunsAmerica.com

Saw a couple new Mil-specs in OD Armory-Kote for 500.00.

A bargain,

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John,
Thanks and I appreciate your insight. I will do this. And I believe I am in the same boat with "other" quality high end 1911's
army eod,
I am going to check out their sight right now, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Don`t know if you`ve made any decisions yet, but I too have a pricier 1911 but picked up the GI just 2 months ago. I don`t plan on doing any mods other than perhaps changing out the tiny combat sights. And I may not even do that. So far this gun is a shooter....hasn`t had one malfunction. And I`m carrying the darned thing. If I should ever, heaven forbid, get into a self defense situation....all the bonus features of the higher priced guns won`t make a tinkers damn. It will at that moment be combat. And that`s what the GI is, a combat gun. And it is a reasonable enough price to begin with for "tinkering with". Just my thoughts.:dope:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I say go for it. You can either keep it stock or fiddle with it. Mine needed some extractor tweaking from the factory to get it to run right, but I did that myself with a dremel and the internet.

I have tinkered, and am not done tinkering.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
msjdgman said:
Don`t know if you`ve made any decisions yet, but I too have a pricier 1911 but picked up the GI just 2 months ago. I don`t plan on doing any mods other than perhaps changing out the tiny combat sights. And I may not even do that. So far this gun is a shooter....hasn`t had one malfunction. And I`m carrying the darned thing. If I should ever, heaven forbid, get into a self defense situation....all the bonus features of the higher priced guns won`t make a tinkers damn. It will at that moment be combat. And that`s what the GI is, a combat gun. And it is a reasonable enough price to begin with for "tinkering with". Just my thoughts.:dope:
You are correct. If you are carrying and need it, it will be a close fight.

So if is a reliable shooter it is a great carry gun. I imagine the LW version would be a great carry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my 4" GI to leave it as is. I love the look and feel of the 1911 in its most basic form. I carry mine alot and have every confidence that it will do its duty if I ever need it. I have about 500 rounds through mine without out one single hiccup, it is accurate,rugged and reliable...what ever carry gun should be. If you are planning on tricking out a 1911, I say go with the mil-spec or loaded as it will save you money in the long run, but if you want a basic retro 1911, the GI is the gun. I bought a 5" loaded to trick out, but I carry my GI.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i love my GI45. i use it for on duty as well as off ( until i decide what little gun my going to get.. lol)

the only thing i have done was change the grips, i have plain checkered double diamond now, and i put some orange paint on the front sight.

i also took a stone to the rails when i got it to smooth the park down. its a slick gun and i have never had a problem at all with it.

im thinking of getting the compact ( officers size) one next, but i havent handled one yet. i loved the size of the defender i used to have... but im still in the air over buying another 1911 that small, if it will be reliable without me having to work it over...

the GI is a great 1911, and the price is hard to beat ( i paid and still see them for 499.00 ) its a solid gun. if it wasnt i wouldnt carry it on duty and off....

i like its " plain" look over the custom stuff i see today. but thats just me...

i think its a fine base pistol, or to leave as is... i cant understand the people who say it wouldnt be a good defense pistol, ive had several 1911's and this one is combat ready, the sights are small, but thats an easy fix. dont see it being a poor choice unless your WANTING to pimp it out, but even then a properly customized " basic" 1911 looks better than a lot of the higher end ones i see... but again, thats only my opinion.. and im not new to 1911's..

good luck with yours

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow. There is a lot of great input here. I am very thankful.
I don't want to pimp the gun. The only things I might want are a beaver tail safety, thumb safety and maybe switch out the sights. Do you think I should spring the extra $150.00 for the Mil-Spec or keep it GI?
Again, you guys are great.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts