1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm aware that Springfield 1911's have a strange frame tang radius, and that Wilson compound radius and .250" radius grip safeties may not fit quite right on them. I know that a .220" radius grip safety is available, but it really limits the options to that one safety. Without welding up the frame tangs, are there ways to properly fit a .250" or Wilson radius grip safety to a Springfield? What would be the preferred grip safety to fit to a Springfield, in terms of making life easier?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,713 Posts
I've fit .250" radius safeties (Brown) to SA guns several times with no problems. The gap referred to is at the top side & only extends down a few thousandths on the guns I've done. Most folk would never notice. I've had the tails welded for those folk that are real picky ( read that they have heard that it has to be welded, so let's weld it). They probably wouldn't have known the difference either if the truth were told. I'm not discounting the value in this for some. I just think it's on of those self perpetuating myths that it is mandatory. I've also recontoured an S&A .220" safety to a Brown contour with a mill & a bunch of file work/Foredom work. That said, the S&A .220" requires less finish work as you don't have to cut as much off the "cheeks" of the frame tail. Blending goes much faster.

[This message has been edited by BBBBill (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've installed McCormick grip safeties on Springfields even though they were designed for colt's not Springfield's.Just had to contour the frame inside radius to match safety.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

1 - 3 of 3 Posts