1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought a MilSpec and sent it directly to my gunsmith of choice for full customization, with the desired result being a cross between the Larry Vickers gun in Handgunner earlier this year, and SA's custom shop Professional/Bureau model.

The gun is now finished, and boy, is it well done. Heinie Slant-Pro/straight eight tritium sights with a green front dot and a yellow rear dot (best system I've had yet), front sight narrowed to .110", Wilson beavertail and ambi, with the right side of the ambi narrowed, Wilson A2 hammer, sear, Wilson extractor, BarSto barrel, 20 lpi checkering on the front, S&A one-piece magwell and mainspring housing, Videcki short trigger, 60 degree bevel, Texas Brigade Armory parkerizing, etc. etc. etc.

This is the best gun I've had customized yet. I really like the sights, safeties, magwell, hammer, barrel, etc.

What I don't like: I won't have another gun built on a springfield. The frontstrap was recut to Colt-specs, and the extra meat removed. However, there is still all that extra material on the dustcover. This makes it a tougher fit into my holsters. Also, IMO, it spoils the classic and graceful 1911 lines. Likewise, I won't go with the S&A magwell/mainspring housing again. The checkering was awful and had to be touched up. The 20 lpi checkering on the front (done by Pete Single) is absolutely perfect! Yet it tears the my fingers up with a lot of use. I have 20 and 30 lpi checkering on other guns, so I'm used to checkering.

I think my next custom 1911 will be based on either a Kimber/Wilson/McCormick, or Caspian frame to get the classic 1911 lines and holster fit. The slide will be Caspian. They build wonderful stuff. It won't have a rollmark, and it may not have front serrations. I want a very clean, uncluttered gun. Instead of checkering, I may go with Dane Burns' "wave", or some other non-checkering treatment.

FWIW,

SF

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, Mike O'Hara of Redmond, WA did the work. It is simply superb. He is also relatively quick (3 months for mine).

Great job, Mike!

SF

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm curious...Why didn't you have Mr.O'hara finish the gun by taking care of the things you weren't happy with? I can't see how you would complain about buying a gun instead of a frame and slide when both were available to you before you started...Hardly seems the fault of the "canvas" when you had the painting done to specs?

Just curious...I would assume that Mr O'Hara is perfectly capable of addressing the things that you ordered...just not understanding if you knew about these and didn't address them, or if there is some sort of problem you haven't mentioned...Your post just brought up questions is all...You didn't show a picture, you praise Mr's Ohara and Single and then say you think they are great but don't like their work?

...Just not sure what you are trying to say is all...Glad you got your pistol back though...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
I wonder why you didn't just go ahead and have that dust cover recontoured? Its not that big of deal.

As far as the S&A magwell...that isn't a Springfield Armory item.

I may agree that the roll markings could be toned down a bit...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Sounds like you have a very nice gun, but I agree with the others that the problems you mentioned (all cosmetic and ergonomic) could have been straightened out by your gunsmith. If it was a functioning problem out of the box I'm sure I would feel much different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was custom project, and knowing what I know now I would have started with only a slide and frame instead of the milspec gun. I agree with you, there is a better "canvas" out there. As to not building another gun on a springfield, it's simply easier to not have to remove the extra material on the frontstrap and dustcover. It this isn't a concern, the springfield is not a problem.

The purpose of my post was to relate my experience in building up this gun. Overall, I'm very happy with it. As with most projects, in hindsight there are things that could have been done differently. These are my issues and a result of my choices, not the fault of those who did the work.

I don't have pictures just yet, but will post them soon.

As to the S&A magwell, this is something that Springfield had no control over, it's not their problem. I simply wouldn't go with another S&A magwell. It's not Mike's or Pete's problem, either. The checkering didn't leave much to work with, although they did sharpen up the diamonds to the best extent possible. There was only so much metal to work with.

As to the dustcover, I didn't think much about the difference it might make in holster fit. I now know different. It wasn't addressed because I didn't ask that it be addressed. It's not the fault of Mike or Pete.

SF

I'm curious...Why didn't you have Mr.O'hara finish the gun by taking care of the things you weren't happy with? I can't see how you would complain about buying a gun instead of a frame and slide when both were available to you before you started...Hardly seems the fault of the "canvas" when you had the painting done to specs?

Just curious...I would assume that Mr O'Hara is perfectly capable of addressing the things that you ordered...just not understanding if you knew about these and didn't address them, or if there is some sort of problem you haven't mentioned...Your post just brought up questions is all...You didn't show a picture, you praise Mr's Ohara and Single and then say you think they are great but don't like their work?

...Just not sure what you are trying to say is all...Glad you got your pistol back though...

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts