1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Among all of the 1911s, 1911 clones, Paras, Glocks, SIGS, USPs and such, there is a High capacity 1911 built by Springfield that will certainly give the field a good run...AND, it sells for fewer shekels than most.

The HiCaps real claim to fame is ...TOTAL RELIABILTY. I don't know if it's the unramped barrel, looser tolerances, or what, but mine will function and fire anything I have found to feed it. Low pressure target, +Ps, short OALs, long OALs. This gun has never had a malfunction in over 700 rounds.

When the gun arrived ( internet purchase) I couldn't believe all of the swirls, gouges, file marks, and general poor workmanship. The barrel hood was at least 1/8 inch short! A leading master pistolsmith said it was the worst he had ever seen from Springfield, and suggested that I send the gun back to the factory.

After numerous emails and phone calls, I went to UPS and sent the $32.10 package to Geneseo. About 6 weeks later it returned with most of the gouges, file marks, swirls, and workmanship problems solved. A new barrel had been installed, and the gun had been refinished. I also asked for a 3.5 lb action job which ended up costing $240. It seems on Springfields, to go below 4 lbs, they have to replace the hammer and sear, and I asked for a long trigger. The gun owner also has to give a written statement that it's OK to do the light trigger job. The trigger is an STI unit, with the long insert...very state of the art!

I now have an extremely reliable HiCap 1911, with reasonable fit, finish and accuracy (it's still no Kimber) It uses Para Ordnance mags. It will put out 10 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, and I believe it to be a helluva platform for a great gun.

I have asked the folks at EGW to do their new slide cut to accomodate an Optima 2000 sight. This will bury the Optima down in the slide so that the lens will be just above the slide.

My point of this diatribe is to point out a really nice HiCap on the market that seems to go unoticed in the sea of hype that surrounds this breed.

[This message has been edited by Big George (edited 08-02-2000).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Big George,
What's the availability of the SA Hi-cap?
Been looking around, no locals have em. What Internet site did you find em on?
I'm thinking of a hi-cap for reasonable money that some alterations done as I save up.
Just need the basic pistol to start with. Your information was very encouraging!
Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rinoray, The availablity of these is probably why I wrote my post...They are hard to find, but an excellent buy when you find one. I got mine from Jersey City Armory... www.jcarmory.com

I bought it with exactly the same thought in mind that you have...It's an all-steel, Hi Capacity 1911. It is NOT an 80 series like the Para Ordnance, so firing pin safeties and such, are not a factor. I am making improvements as I go along...

My next mod may be to have a Kart barrel and bushing fitted to the gun.

I'm certain somebody out there in radioland will comment that I should go ahead and buy that Rock River I want...Hey, I'm one of these guys who really enjoys "messing" with 1911s! I work with two of the finest smiths on this planet, and they gladly take my money to keep me smiling!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Big George,
I'm in NJ and will be over by JC Armory tomorrow. Never been in there live, so I'll chat with them and see what they can do. I also like tinkering to a certain level, no lathe or mill work, but can handle fitting and finishing some parts. If not, like you indicated there are plenty of great gunsmiths in the NJ area that would like some of my money!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The 9x23 Hi-Cap that Springfield did for a gun rag is what turned me on to the thought of building the same... I have seen and shot a couple of the SA's though in 45.

I think that SA uses the Caspian Hi-Cap frame, but I could be wrong.

The best part is that they use the Para mags...

These can be found, and they can also be ordered from SA, but the popularity is low. Out of the box, the Para's do tend to be more reliable though from what I have seen. I am also pretty sure that the SA Hi-Caps are more expensive that a standard P14-45, which is why they lost market share to Para.

If you can find one, it could be worth exploring... You just never know...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless Caspian has moved their operation to Brazil, my SA HiCap was not made by Caspian!

It's got that FI Brazil stamp...I can tell you that Caspian probably never turned out a frame with workmanship (or the lack of) like my frame. Thanks to SA warranty folks for straightening most of it out.

I don't know what a loaded HiCap brings these days, but most Springfield loadeds are fairly heavily discounted...It's competitive with PO and you don't have to put up with the firing pin safety. (BTW, I understand, some folks like this feature)

Most any gunsmith can take the HiCap to 3-3.5 lb trigger for about $150-180. Including hammer, sear, and trigger.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Big George,
Checked out Jersey City Armory and they had some Springfields in house - no hi caps. The stainless finsih on most of thier pistols was decent and fit was good. I'm thinking about a stainless version hi-cap. What type of barrel did you end up with and what kind of grouping do you get @ 50'? Seriously interested, your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!
rinoray

[This message has been edited by rinoray (edited 08-04-2000).]

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The SA folks put a stock SA 2 piece barrel in my HiCap, the difference is that this one fit!

I always end up comparing any of my 1911s to my oldest Kimber Classic Custom. While the new SA HiCap is much improved, it still won't shoot with my Kimber. I intend to remedy this with some fitting and a better barrel bushing. The SA HiCap shoots 1.5" groups at 25 yds.(sandbagged)I would like to see this down to 1.0"

If I get real serious about bullseye, I might consider a fitted Kart barrel and bushing, and some slide /frame tightening.

At this point I could tell you about my Kimber, but this is a Springfield thread!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Big George,
Well as luck would have it, NO I repeat NO Springfield hi caps are in stock or being produced at this point. This id due to demmand for other types and it is not known when it will start-up again. (according to call to Springfield)
The 45 hi-cap search continues.
Now thinking about Kimber poly or building a kit hi cap.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Big George,
You must be by cosmic brother!
My Bul M5 has been ordered (confirmed availablitiy) Saturday and will be here Thursday 8/17/00. Can't wait!
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just yesterday, I found a used SA Ultra Compact v10 hi-cap, used for $550. I didn't realize that hi-caps were so rare right now. My question is about the reliability of the Ultra Compact...anyone have experience with this gun? The price seems OK given its condition.
Thanks!
LD

·
Registered
86 Posts
Big George,
I finally received my new purchase on Friday night. A new Bul M5 full size government model. Took it to the range and fired about 100 rounds through it and was very impressed with accuracy. Mags are tough to load and I'm looking for more - guess i need a mag loader. Is it the Para mag release and para mags that will work in this pistol? Great gun and reasonable too. Have some things I want to fine tune it with. Any parts recommendations?
Thanks to all!
Regards,
rinoray

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The mags will improve with use...The 10 round mag is hard to load, the 14 rounder is damn nigh impossible!...Perhaps some Para folks can help you with solutions.

IMHO, Your Bul is not compatable with Para mags, but your Bul can be converted, just like the conversion for it's clone, the Kimber polymer.

[This message has been edited by Big George (edited 08-23-2000).]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by Big George:
I also asked for a 3.5 lb action job which ended up costing $240. It seems on Springfields, to go below 4 lbs, they have to replace the hammer and sear, and I asked for a long trigger
I have tuned the trigger and sear spring on mine for a pull of 3.75 lbs. Have I done something that I shouldn't have?

·
Registered
86 Posts
high_caliber,
Did you buy parts to accomplish the 3.75lb pull? Or did you polish and fine tune stok ones your self?
Thanks!
rinoray

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by rinoray:
high_caliber,
Did you buy parts to accomplish the 3.75lb pull? Or did you polish and fine tune stok ones your self?
Thanks!
rinoray
I adjusted the physical shape of the trigger/sear spring per dimensions out of the 45 Auto Handbook. Pistol was new, no additional parts purchased. Trigger pull was gauged by a laboratory-type Accu-Weigh spring gauge; 4 lb. range with 1 oz. increments. I have since fired about 3000 rounds and the trigger pull is still around 3 lbs. 12 oz., +/- 3 oz.
I must apologize: When I posted to this discussion, I forgot that the original subject was about "Hi-Caps". My pistol is the single-stack type.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 4 pound trigger rule is Springfield's company policy. The owner has to give a written statement allowing Springfield to take the trigger below 4 pounds.

My Kimbers can be taken to 3.5 with a slight sear spring tweak, and will lower to 3 pounds with some normal wear. (over 500 rounds)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have a GI Hi-Cap, that I bought new several years ago and have never fired it. Since it was the odd ball of the bunch, I had grand plans of turning it into a full tactical build; but spent that money on other 1911's.

I bought it for the novelty of it being difficult to get. It feels great in my hands and I like it; just don't love it anymore.

I'm serious considering sending this to Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc... I have lost the ambition to sink money into it and have moved onto higher end SA 1911's to work on.

This picture I took several years ago for insurance purposes and the collection had grown since then. The GI Hi-Cap is the 7th pistol on the second row, to the left of the Glock 21. It still sits in the safe unfired in brand new condition.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts