1911Forum banner

Springfield ILS Replacement

1892 4
Just thought some of the other 2001 model Springfield owners would like to know that if you intend on replacing the ILS mainspring housing there are a couple of extra parts needed.The ILS doesn't have a mainspring cap pin like all other 1911 style pistols and the mainspring cap has a deeper pocket than the standard issue part.If you use the Springfield cap in a standard mainspring housing you can cock the hammer but it loses force about half way through its cycle.The missing pin was obvious when I went to install an Ed Brown Maxiwell but the mainspring cap wasn't.Hope this helps anyone who may be planning on replacing the ILS.

Shooter Ready?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello fmalott.To be honest, I don't know.It looks to me that the ILS component would have to be removed in order for the mainspring housing to work properly.IMHO it is easier to get a new mainspring housing and the extra parts.I think between the cap pin and the cap I spent $4.00.I like to retain all the factory parts when I change something out just in case I would trade it in.Especially when it is a safety component.Sorry that I couldn't give you a better answer.

Shooter Ready?

· Banned
61 Posts
Actually SA will be offering to owners the option of getting the ILS system, through "the grapevine" lol. But anyways to awnser your question. Just as stated you want it original call them 1-800-680-6866.
Im sure you can obtain non ILS parts kit for your model. Whatever model it is lets say its a new PX9151L ("L" = LOCK) get the parts for a PX9151 which does not have the ILS system. www.springfieldarmory.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.