1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that many readers on this board don't like Springfield's Integrated Locking System (ILS) - why is that? I've got a couple of Springfield 1911s with the ILS and haven't found any reason to want to remove them yet. Am I missing something?

Thanks
- Brad

·
Registered
919 Posts
Murphy's Law: What can go wrong will.....and always at the worst possible time.
I don't lock guns, I put them in the safe. If I wanted to lock a gun, I would. I don't want some do-gooder thinking up great safety ideas and implimenting them in my firearms because, some day, the gun won't work because the damned thing failed.

At the worst possible time!

I'm replacing mine with a regular MSH.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Chief,
I'm with you on this one, but I'm a 1911 rookie so my opinion may not hold much water. I thought the Taurus revolver locking system introduced a few years ago was also a great idea. I don't like what S+W did to their revolvers because I think it's just ugly. The Taurus lock and moreso the SA ILS are much less visible but still functional. I like the idea of a lock you CAN use if you want. (I usually don't but can think of situations where it may come in handy.) I do hate the idea of government mandated internal locking devices but as long as it's functionally sound, not visually distracting and voluntary, I don't see a problem. Nemesis; I'm all for your solution; if you don't like it, replace it. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You don't even have to replace the msh if you don't want to. You can just replace the "guts" to do away with the lock.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I replaced mine to go to a lighter mainspring. I went ahead and replaced the MSH as well, just to get rid of the extra hole.

I think the ILS is an ingenious system, IF you want it. It enables the Springfield to be sold where it is required, while still allowing the rest of us to get rid of it. (I'm saying this with the assumption that it is required somewhere...........)

·
Registered
140 Posts
generally any kind of safety device added(prompted by control movement) to new models are looked upon as bad by gun enthusiasts.

firing pin safety, chamber indicators, ILS, etc...so far i haven't seen anything so bad that they would adversely affect any of my guns. frankly i find it silly that people go out of their way to dog these things. i question the effectiveness of some of these implementations, but if it saves one life why not...

-kotonk

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
but if it saves one life why not...
Isn't that Hillary's favorite line :confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Springfield's Integrated Locking System (ILS)

To help reduce & improve the heavy trigger pull I am thinking of changing the the MSH innards on my Black SS loaded. Use a 19 or 20 # spring & install the standard caps & pins.

If I could find a supplier (wolf, SA, or other) that manufactured a reduced tension hammer spring for the stock ILS I would leave it.

Makes no difference to me if it is there if you don't use it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This topic gets a lot of mileage. Most Purists hate them (or any other item not originally found on JMB's original), and most Noobies could care less. I'm neither one and I could care less that it comes with something "new" on it. Especially something that doesn't scream SAFETY DEVICE!!! Actually, of all the so called safety devices on the newer 1911's, the ILS is the most astetically clean and stealth of them all. I've never "locked" mine and I think I have the key that came with it packed away somewhere along with all the holsters and other accessories I don't use anymore.
:biglaugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts