1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys, thanks for all your posts, i learned a lot, and i got the feeling that this is a quiality forum for honest answers,

SO i will give you friends an update. my brother took matters into his own hands, and polished the ramp and chamber. he was very careful to not remove any metal (i trust him after all the other things he has done)
we took the 2001 pistol out and ran hollowpoints and ballrounds through it. NO PROBLEMS!!!! this gun has really begun to prove itself. we'll keep an eye on it, but it shot great. no FTF's or anything, and it feeds so much smoother now.

thanks again to all of you and your input, i'll be around these boards for while, as you all have made me feel welcome

russel the cop

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats! I had to do the same thing with my champion. Now it feeds flawlessly.

Glad to hear it worked out!

Tim

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Glad to hear that you got your gun runnning. I own a few of the 2001 models and have had absolutely no problems at all with any of them. But, along the same vein, I would like to relate the following that happened last week.

My dealer got two parkerized 2001 loaded models in w/night sights. I already owned one, but I liked it enough that I thought I needed a spare (strange, I know). Anyway, I looked at the two guns, and in comparing the guns I noticed that the slide appeared somewhat looser on one the of the guns, which I thought was very strange for a new model Springfield. Also, I noticed brass markings on the "flared" part of the ejection port. Now I realize that Springfield test fires them, but this gun appeared as if it had spent the day at the range. Gun was new, as I was there when it had been shipped directly from SA (Dealer program). I took the other (tighter) gun and brought it home.

The next day a guy I work with came into my office and told me that he had bought the other loaded parkerized later on the same day that I had gotten mine. When he got it home he noticed that the front sight appeared to be leaning somewhat to the left. On closer inspection he found that the left side of the front sight was flat against the slide, while the right side was up enough to allow him to stick a peice of paper under it (enough to throw it off kilter). He then took the slide off and as he described it "looked like someone had taken a dremel tool to the inside of the slide". No finish and grinding marks from the front of the slide back 1 1/2 to 2 inches. He also said the gun was the dirtiest he had ever seen. Obviously this gun had had some sighting in problems or something, and it had slipped through without being properly finished.

He called Springfield and they advised him to send it back and they would take care of it, either by correcting the problem, or replacing the slide. Good thing Springfield stands behind their product or he would be sick right now.

Take it for what it's worth and I love my Springfields, but I will be checking those front sight dovetails very closely now.

[This message has been edited by col132 (edited 04-28-2001).]

·
Administrator
18,603 Posts
col,

You sure that maybe the dealer didn't "use" that gun some before he sold it as NIB???

Its been done before!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Nope, for one of the few times in my life I was there when Fed Ex brought them in. I noticed the front sight slanted, the brass on the ejection port, loose slide, and a lot of dirt in the chamber at that time. The guy that bought it was a matter of hours later that same day, and then he found his problems that evening inside the slide. No doubt about this one, left the factory in that shape. Like I said though, it doesn't change my opinion of Springfields at all. As a matter of fact I liked the response from them that the guy got (if they fix it correctly). I've seen Colts, Sigs, and Glocks, among others all come fromt he factory w/problems.

We used to carry Sig 220 45's and I tried to tell SigArms two years before they changed the hammer rebound spring that something was wrong with it, because we broke something like 5 out of our 35 guns in less than a year. They fixed them, but they never responded to my complaint like I was invisible. Shortly thereafter we went to Glocks.

Bought 35 new frame G-22 Glocks about 1-1 1/2 ago and they wouldn't feed Federals 165 grain police only load. First of anything I had seen a Glock unreliable with. District Manager came down and blamed it on Federal. Federal blamed it on Glock. Bottom line is we changed to Hydra Shoks, and so far they have been totally reliable, although it really bugs me that a Glock won't feed a factory round.

So I'm real anxious to see firsthand how SA handles this guys problem. From reading the posts here they sound like a first rate outfit. I certainly hope so since I own several of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts