1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just bought a loaded model full size springfield. it came with the matte blue finish and novak nights. its a nice gun and it shoots straight, but it jams quite often, he has polished the feed ramp and throated the chamber, now it seems to mainly jam with hollowpoints.

any suggestions? or any one else have the problems. i own two colt's and neither has ever jammed on me, i thought about buying a springfield, but i'm almost scared to now.

russel the cop

·
Registered
21 Posts
My S.A. "Loaded" had the same jamming problems early on. After about 200 rounds it cleared up and ran right. I didn't modify a thing. Another member of this forum has the right idea when it comes to 1911s. I think it goes "Shoot the snot out of them".

good luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your help, the gun should still be under warr, we have a range master that we will have look it. we have put 950 rounds through it in 2 weeks.

i really like the gun, its great, hopefully things will work out with it

by the way, i am new to the board, so thank you all for your help, finally i can talk 1911's without bugging my wife!!!!!

russel the cop

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Originally posted by RUSSEL213:
thanks for your help, the gun should still be under warr, we have a range master that we will have look it. we have put 950 rounds through it in 2 weeks.
russel the cop
You most likely already know this, but makes sure whomever looks at it doesn't so anything to void the warrantee. Good luck and keep us posted. The answer to your problem might help some other member.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Early feeding problems are uncommon but well-documented in 1911's. Most seem to get worked out somewhere within the first 500 rounds. Others truly need to be shipped back to the factory for modification. With yours, considering a case has been run through it, your best policy would be getting it back to SA as soon as possible.

Out of curiousity, what mags and ammo are you using? Have you tried different varieties of each?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Make notes of the types of jams you're getting. If there is a pattern it will help if you need to send it back to Springfield for work. Regardless, shoot a few hundred rounds through and see if the problems clear up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the jams that are occuring are when the new round is being fed into the chamber, it goes in about half way and then sticks. it doesn't do it so much anymore with ball ammo as much as hollowpoints. we are going to just keep dumping some more rounds through it to see if it helps.

by the way, the mags we use: 8 round chipmccormick shooting stars, chips new 8 round power mag, mecgar 7 rounds, and the two that were in the box when we got the pistol. i carry the shooting stars in my colt duty weapon, and have never had problems with them

thanks so much for the help

russel the cop

·
Registered
731 Posts
I too have a full size Loaded. I had LOTS of jams through the first ~400 rounds. After that, everything was smooth as silk. No problems. My SA eats everything--ball, hollow point, lead SWC.

Good luck,
Billy Ray

·
Registered
284 Posts
My 2001 full size Loaded was still jamming after 500 or so rounds. It's been at the factory for two weeks. They say I will get it back in two more weeks. I'll keep ya'll advised.

------------------
"Sic Semper Tyrannus"

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have a full size that occasinally would not feed the last round. I purchased 2 Wilson mags and it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my new springfield 2001 loaded is back at the factory for the second time. first trip was for a weak extractor and now it is FTF. it has about 750 rounds through it so it ain't a break-in problem. i hope they don't make me sorry i bought it. it is only about a month old. i have only taken it to the range 6 times. about the time i start getting the feel for the gun off it goes to the repair shop.

·
Registered
88 Posts
RUSSEL213 you never said what kind of hollow points you use. I use Remington Golden Saber 185grain jacketed hollow points. I find they have a profile that is very similer to the round nose.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry about that, we have used the law enforcment only winchester 230 grain plus p ranger ammo, we have used the starfire and winchesters silver tip hollow points.

i haven't talked to my brother in a couple of days, so i don't have any updates.

russel the cop

·
Registered
29 Posts
After 800 rnds. with all kinds of tweeking I could never get my S.A. 2001 loaded to stop jamming. I averaged at least one FTF every 75 rnds. I got rid of the pistol. There is no excuse for a pistol of this price range not to be 100 percent reliable outof the box.I also have bought a Kimber royal carry(one of 600 made in 97)which is quite a bit more expensive pistol. I have not had the chance to get it to the range and functional check it. If I have the same problems with it I WILL BE OUT OF THE 1911 business for good. I will stick to my Sigs and beretta's.
They never fail to fire.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Originally posted by J. Farley:
After 800 rnds. with all kinds of tweeking I could never get my S.A. 2001 loaded to stop jamming. I averaged at least one FTF every 75 rnds. I got rid of the pistol. There is no excuse for a pistol of this price range not to be 100 percent reliable outof the box.I also have bought a Kimber royal carry(one of 600 made in 97)which is quite a bit more expensive pistol. I have not had the chance to get it to the range and functional check it. If I have the same problems with it I WILL BE OUT OF THE 1911 business for good. I will stick to my Sigs and beretta's.
They never fail to fire.
I don't blame you. If a pistol doesn't function flawlessly (or nearly so) every time I pull the trigger, I lose confidence and eventually get rid of it.

That's one of the reasons I'm an HK fan. Not one of mine has ever jammed. Someone else may have had different results with their HK's; but mine have never failed me. Ever! And that's why I'm quick to recommend HK's to anyone looking for a defensive pistol.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I can't verify whether it's true, but I've heard that HK employs a heavy trigger on purpose, so that a dropped rifle or pistol has less chance of an accidental discharge. I believe they have to be able to survive a 25m drop on a hard suface, like pavement, for instance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had my H&K USP9 for about a year and have put maybe 1500 rounds through it, mostly MagTech 124g. I'm still waiting for my first failure of ANY kind.

This DA/SA gun has a very heavy DA pull, but the SA trigger is sweet. It's as crisp as anything else I've felt and one of the things that I like best about the gun. Others have said so as well and GUN TESTS speaks about the same thing that I've observed with both the USP9 and the USP40. If you're feeling a rough SA pull, I'd try another HK. That's not the norm for this fine pistol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts