1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My search-fu was not strong enough as I did not see my exact problem discussed anywhere.

Problem: My Springfield Lightweight Compact 1911 (.45acp) is experiencing Failure to Feed issues. Magazines used: Tripp Research 7rd Cobramag. Ammunition used: Federal 230gr +P HST.

Problem Description: The first few rounds fed out of the magazine jam up against the feedramp -- kind of look to be nosedown in the magwell. (Surprised me because I thought the Tripp Cobramag was supposed to maintain a high nose-up bullet position to aid in positive feeding / chambering.)

Problem Repeatability: Pretty repeatable. FTF did occurr while shooting. Problem reproduceable when vigorously hand cycling rounds (slingshot method - let slide snap forward). Problem seems (possibly) more pronounced when handcycling rounds: seemed to occur with first 2-4 rounds out of magazine; when firing, problem may have only occurred first 1-2 rounds out of magazine. A vigorous TAP (first step in TAP-RACK-BANG) would often cause slide to snap forward and chamber the "stuck" round -- but not all the time.

I had previously shot 250 rds through this LW Compact before I started EDCing it. 200 rds were Winchester Whitebox and/or Blazer Brass 230gr. Then I shot at least 50rds of Federal HST 230gr +P and Federal Tactical 230gr +P without issues (or so my memory says).

I'll try to post some pictures later tonite showing the FTF / jam.

Ideas?

I did find one other post here that mentioned replacing the slidestop. How do I determine if I have an out-of-spec slidestop that is somehow bumping the round as it chambers... thus causing it to nose down? If memory serves, I did note that the rounds, when FTF occurs, seemed to be in a nose down, slightly right of center on feedramp position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Need some more info

Have you experience this with other mags?
Did you modified the feed ramp in any way?
Also is it hitting the ramp before the rear of the case comes in contact with the extractor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Q: Have I experienced this with other mags?
A: I'm not sure. I want to say yes, but I can't swear to it. I would have used Wilson 47D's and Chip McCormick Powermags both with officer baseplates, but I'm not sure I used them when I shot those 250 rds earlier. (I have not shot this pistol much since that "breakin / reliability test.")

Q: Did you modified the feed ramp in any way?
A: No

Q: Also is it hitting the ramp before it comes in contact with the extractor?
A: I do not understand the the question - how does the extractor figure into this problem? I don't understand how the extractor is an issue here. Do you mean before the extractor hook is engaging the rim of the chambering cartridge? I do not know. How would I tell? On a side note: extraction / ejection of cartridges from the firing chamber have all been solid and reliable (fwiw).

Did you mean to ask "before it comes into contact with the slidestop?" If so, I'm not sure if the round is hitting the slidestop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
steve2267 said:
Do you mean before the extractor hook is engaging the rim of the chambering cartridge? I do not know. How would I tell?
Correct
Try to induce the malfunction again. Once you do so, look at the rear of the case. Is it still in the mag. or did the case come in contact with the extractor hook?
Never mind the slidestop right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hemicuda said:
Correct
Try to induce the malfunction again. Once you do so, look at the rear of the case. Is it still in the mag. or did the case come in contact with the extractor hook?
Never mind the slidestop right now.
I will do that tonite when I get home.

Out of curiousity... what are you suspecting? Could this fix be an easy one, saving me the time and money of shipping it off to a smith for a "reliability package"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
You could try a diff. jhp. Like Rem. GSJHP 230 gr.

First, you should rule out the mags.
Does it happen with one and not another
Are the mags new or need to have the springs, or followers replaced?

Next, if it does make contact with the extractor, the tension is incorrect.
Easy fix

If not your ramp is out of spec.
This may be the problem, since the Cobra mags are not working. Yes they do hold the top round slightly higher.
Send to Springfield. :(

Also, I assume that since the gun is new the recoil spring doesn’t need to be replaced. Some may say to use a heavier spring, but that only hides the problem, not correct it.


P.S. If I missed anything, one of the many smiffs we have here, will give you more knowledge.;)
Also let me take a wild guess. This only happens with your jhp type ammo, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hemicuda said:
First, you should rule out the mags.
Does it happen with one and not another
Are the mags new or need to have the springs, or followers replaced?
These are brand new, previously unused Cobramags (Officer 7rd; Gen 1) -- barely used.
hemicuda said:
Next, if it does make contact with the extractor, the tension is incorrect.
Easy fix
see pictures below; extractor is not yet engaging the round
hemicuda said:
If not your ramp is out of spec.
This may be the problem, since the Cobra mags are not working.
Really? without having seen the gun, how can you be sure the feedramp angle is whacked? Maybe it is... I dunno. It does seem a bit "steep" to me... but on the other hand, the angle of the round as it is coming out of the magazine... the nose of the bullet seems to be angling downwards... not upwards as it is held by the Cobramag. See pictures attached below...
hemicuda said:
Send to Springfield. :(
Nah... I bought it used. I'll send it to Virgil Tripp and see how well he makes a 1911 run... :)
hemicuda said:
Also, I assume that since the gun is new the recoil spring doesn’t need to be replaced. Some may say to use a heavier spring, but that only hides the problem, not correct it.
I do not recall having replaced this recoil spring. However, having shot other 4" 1911's, I am somewhat familiar with recoil spring weights for the type... and I describe the recoil spring in this 4" 1911 as very stiff!

hemicuda said:
Also let me take a wild guess. This only happens with your jhp type ammo, right?
As far as I can recall, yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
I think its mag related

From your previous post you shoot 200 rounds of ball ammo, and50 rounds of jhp without any failures correct? What type of mags were you using?
Before you send your pistol anywhere try loading the new mags to capacity, and let them sit for a couple of days. After that give them a try (or replace the spring if they are used). Also, replace your recoil springs, and it should be fine.
If not go back to using the mags you had before the problem.
I think your ramp is fine.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
I just saw your pics. That ramp looks like its sitting to far forward.:scratch:
I think you should wait for on of the smiffs to chime in. If not take to a local smiff before you send it anywhere.

Goodnight,
Smitty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regarding the barrel sitting too far forward... there is fore<->aft play in the barrel. The gap seen between the integral feedramp and the bright shiny area of the frame that I point out in the last photo almost disappears if I push backwards on the muzzle of the barrel. I'm guessing (haven't measured) that the barrel moves on the order of 1/16" fore/aft, maybe more.

Virgil Tripp spent a good half an hour speaking with me today. One of the topics he discussed was "stroke." FWIW, if this makes any difference, and if anyone understands the following: with the slide pushed all the way to the rear... the breechface appears to be aligned directly over the center of the disconnector / frame hole for the disconnector. Could the slide be short stroking, thereby not generating enough forward impact / impulse / force to complete the loading cycle?

This failure to feed is easily duplicated if I do NOT let the slide snap forward -- I don't have to ride the slide forward... just not let it totally snap forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Personally, I think it is from the very strong magazine springs in the Tripp mags. If they are indeed new, they are probably the strongest springs on the market. This creates lots of tension on the top few rounds of a fully loaded magazine. Just try to slide the top two rounds out of a fully loaded magazine to see what I mean. I have the Tripp upgrade kits in 7 Chip McCormick mags, I like them, but your mags probably just need to be loaded and left for about a week to kind of work the springs in. Especially since it fired fine before. A ramp angle is not going to mysteriously go bad!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
eng208 said:
Personally, I think it is from the very strong magazine springs in the Tripp mags. If they are indeed new, they are probably the strongest springs on the market. This creates lots of tension on the top few rounds of a fully loaded magazine. Just try to slide the top two rounds out of a fully loaded magazine to see what I mean. I have the Tripp upgrade kits in 7 Chip McCormick mags, I like them, but your mags probably just need to be loaded and left for about a week to kind of work the springs in. Especially since it fired fine before. A ramp angle is not going to mysteriously go bad!
Eh, as I review in my mind that earlier 250rd "test"... I am afraid I may have mislead some of you. I did fire 250rds (200rds ball, 50rds HST)... BUT I don't think those were without trouble. I think I was having the same problem I experienced this past weekend... but I think I thought I had resolved the issues (possibly by filing down the slidestop - if memory serves).

In speaking with Virgil Tripp today and having him look at the above photos... he immediately noted the distance the ramp of the barrel is forward of the frame magwell. He is of the opinion that adding material (via TIG welding) to the barrel's integral feedramp and then machining / finishing a new ramp angle will fix all the problems.

I am leaning towards sending the gun to Virgil for a reliability package, and to have him tune the trigger. I may call SA and inquire about whether they have a barrel that will resolve this large gap issue between the mag well and the integral ramp. I will post how things turn out including after pictures, but am still interested in other people's opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
If it is indeed a problem on Springfield's part, they will pay for shipping, fix the gun, and send it back to you repaired correctly, in a reasonable time. In most cases, they will even fine tune the fit of the frame and slide. I understand that you WANT a Virgil Tripp tuned gun, but if Springfield were to fix the gun correctly on their dime, you could then send it to Tripp to have him do the reliability package or whatever you want him to do to it. I am sure that would be much cheaper than the labor involved in having to tig weld up something and then fit it like it should be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eng208 said:
If it is indeed a problem on Springfield's part, they will pay for shipping, fix the gun, and send it back to you repaired correctly, in a reasonable time. In most cases, they will even fine tune the fit of the frame and slide. I understand that you WANT a Virgil Tripp tuned gun, but if Springfield were to fix the gun correctly on their dime, you could then send it to Tripp to have him do the reliability package or whatever you want him to do to it. I am sure that would be much cheaper than the labor involved in having to tig weld up something and then fit it like it should be.
I bought the pistol used... would Springfield still do what you say above? I thought I read somewhere that the limited lifetime warranty is only to the original purchaser of a firearm? Am I mistaken?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,485 Posts
Excessive extractor pressure can cause stoppages.

To isolate the extractor as the problem do this:

Remove the slide and pull the firing pin and extractor from the pistol so you have an empty slide.

Insert your full magazine in the pistol and rack the slide. The cartridge should feed. Won't extract, of course, so point the muzzle to the ceiling and retract the slide, allowing time for the chambered cartridge to fall out. Point toward your imaginary target again. Repeat for the entire magazine just to be sure the first round chambering wasn't a fluke.

If the rounds chamber it's the extractor.

Easy to adjust.

-- Chuck
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top