1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me first say - I'll post a pic in a day or two, no range report is complete without a pic of the gun!

I've actually been to the range twice with this gun, made some changes to the gun on the second range trip. I'm planning on shooting ESP and SS minor with this gun.

1st trip: Stock config. except for a dawson FO front sight. Basically just wanted to sight the gun in and run some different ammo in the gun. The gun worked with all ammo tested (didn't shoot groups yet) - WWB 115 gr, federal champion 115 gr, and atlanta arms 147 gr subsonic. I was using wilson ETM mags. Shot probably 200 rds, with 3 malfunctions. I atribute the malfunctions (FTF) to resting the mag base pad on a sandbag while sighting in the gun. Because this was the only time it happened. Will make a mental note when shooting prone in competition (probably 1-2x per year only) don't rest the gun on the ground.

One thing to note: The slide was cycling way too slow, I could actually feel it cycle between rds. Maybe this was due to the heavy ILS mainspring, but it was very bothersome for me. I'm not a world class shooter, but probably above average (IDPA master, USPSA A class). And with the slide cycling so slowly I felt like I was having to wait to pull the trigger again especially on two quick shots at 3-4 yd USPSA target.

The FLGR did come a little loose after 100 rds and have to be tighten back up. Since I got the pistol I have not been a fan of having to take the FLGR out with a hex key to break the pistol down, I'll have to replace this in the future. Trigger pull was heavier than I would like - I've heard the 28# ILS mainspring is a big reason why - I'll be ditching the ILS.

2nd trip: Added S&A magwell, Ed Brown extended mag release button, took out the ILS and put in a 19# reduced mainspring, Adherns combat wood grips, and had a handfull of different recoil spring weights to try. Friend of mine has the same gun and said the stock recoil spring weight was like 8-9# to compensate for the 28# mainspring in the ILS, which makes sense. When you cock the hammer and cycle the slide you could feel the weight of the recoil spring was really light. The gun is starting to look real slick with the add ons :rock:

Shot 200 rds again - WWB, federal, AA 147. No malfunctions. Ended up putting a 12# recoil spring in the gun to replace the stock one sense I had already changed the mainspring weight, 12# felt about right to me. The WWB ammo was much hotter with a noticeable amount of more recoil than the federal or AA ammo. The slide was cycling much quicker now that the mainspring has been changed, and the trigger pull was improved also. Accuracy was fine - I'm an action shooter so I'm not real worried about how tight the gun will group. Anything in the center 8" of the target is fine. But it was shooting 1.5-2.5" groups at 20 yds with all the ammo tested, the AA did seem to group a little tighter than WWB or fed.

In the future: I'll probably have the notch on the rear sight opened up a little and round the corners on the rear sight. I like the adjustable sight, but having real sharp 90 deg edges on the rear draws a lot of attention from my eye which I don't like.
The trigger is ok for now, but a 3.5# trigger kit from C&S is in my future also along with a different guide rod system either standard or FLGR that does have to be taken down with a hex key.

Overall I'm very happy with this gun, a few upgrades have made it a real shooter.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I bought a SA Loaded a few years ago in .45. Went through the same thing you are doing. Replaced all the ignition parts with Ed Brown and got a very nice trigger. Not sure why the SA triggers are so heavy.

Bought a Baer PII in 9mm a year ago, and it is my favorite pistol today. 9mm with slim grips and light reloads is a kick. Your gun sounds like it is just about there for you, good shooting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts