1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Springfield Loaded model comes with, I believe, a full length guide rod.

What type of guide rod plug does this weapon use?

Can it be replaced with a standard milspec guide rod plug? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a loaded full size ss,and it had a 2 piece full length guide rod with the hex head screw holding it in. I read from a thread here about replacing the recoil spring plug[ed brown part #881-std-s] and heavy duty recoil spring guide[ed brown part#882-std]. I got these from brownells and installed them, seems to work fine although haven`t shot it yet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
2 piece full length guide rod

Yep, if you don't like the 2-piece FLGR just take it out and replace with GI plug and rod.

I personally don't have a problem or issue with the FLGR in my Black SS Loaded and have left it in. It does not work loose and is functioning well. The only thing is needing an allen wrench on hand for disassembling. Of course if no problems exist why would you need to disassemble it anywhere or anytime unless you wanted to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some cool grip maker needs to insert a wrench in the grip instead of those useless medallions. Then no matter where ya go - there ya are.

·
Registered
48 Posts
guide rod issue

I am having a similar issue with my ss loaded. I am pretty sure that I have tightened the rod very well with the allen wrench. However, after getting home from the range the last time ( Apox 150 rounds) I noticed that the rod was loose. Thinking back I realized that it malfunctioned a few times in the middle of the magazine-- can't recallbut I believe that it didn't feed properly. I thought that I may have been tired and limp wristed-- but now I am wondering if a loose rod could have caused the problem.

Why is this getting loose? Could it have caused the problem? I have about 500 rounds through the gun.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Switch to a one-piece guide rod or a GI rod/plug combo and forget about carrying a tool with you for disassembly.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Another solution is to use some teflon tape on the guide rod threads. I do it to mine and it no longer unscrews, but is still easy to undo for cleaning. One roll of the tape is gonna last a couple years and costs a dollar or less.
Or, you can do as the other fellows suggest and replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Perhaps it's just my pistol, but my stock FLGR doesn't come loose after several hundred rounds and, with the action locked open, I can use only finger pressure to both tighten and loosen the guide rod.

Maybe over time this will become an issue but I'm glad I didn't go out and buy a new guide rod without seeing if my pistol needed it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Michealp,,No, the loose allen head half of the rod did not cause the malfunction.You can pull it all the way out and it will still function.You should choose what style you like both will work fine.............Chris

·
Registered
163 Posts
put a dot of green locktite on reassembly and it won't come loose and you'll be able to break the seal to disassemble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts