1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I recently purchase a parkerized loaded model. I have fired about 110 rounds through it. Occassionally ( about 4 or 5 times so far) a round chambers, but when I squeeze the trigger the hammer doesn't drop it feels like the trigger wasn't reset. So I drop the magazine, eject the round reload and go back to firing. So I am looking for advice here -- what is happening? what am I doing wrong? My only previous experience with a pistol was fam firing the 1911 in boot camp 25 years ago, help!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I reccoemend detail strip inspect clean and re-lube. maybe the disconnector is getting stuck, or maybe grip safety gettting hung up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ammo used

Started with 50 rds of Blazer 230 gr FMJ(don't remember any failures in it).
then had 50 rds of winchester sxz training ammo 230 gr FMJ (this is the ones I remember the failures in)

Now have moved on to WWB 230gr FMJ (thanks to walmart) haven't seen any failures in it so far.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No worries IMHO. Keep shooting decent ammo through >

it, no training ammo, and most likely the problem will not occur again. Sounds like an ammo related issue but you'll really know after you've shot 1000 rounds through you new pistol. And yes, stip and clean then pistol then head back out to the range and enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about the trigger adjustment screw, but didn't see how it could cause a failure that would be fixable by simply clearing, reloading and recycling the slide

·
Registered
581 Posts
New gun. They like to be ran WET when breaking them in.

Get a spray can of Break Free CLP and hose the heck outta where the slide and frame meet. Keep 'er WET!

Yes, your hand will turn black and CLP will dribble all over, but when you're done firing it, clean, re-lube and assemble.

Repeat as needed until you feel your gun is 100% reliable.

Then clean and lightly lube. NO GREASE!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
OP's problem is the hammer sometimes won't fall when pulling the trigger.

#1 cause would be the trigger adjustment screw is turned in too far.

#2 cause could be the disconnector is sticking and not resetting.

No way is debris in the firing pin channel going to affect the hammer not falling, and highly unlikely is the chance he's not using enough lube.

With the gun empty... Double check... take the hammer, hold it with your thumb, pull the trigger and ease the hammer forward gently. If you feel any resistance or hitches on it's way forward then the sear doesn't have enough room. You'll need to back out the trigger screw.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I'd check the trigger adjustment screw, back it out 1 turn, if it's loose then just remove it altogether
+1. I'd also do a complete strip, if you know how, and fully re-assemble the weapon after inspecting each part. If this continues, stop using the weapon and call the factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I checked the overtravel screw, I think we can rule that out as I was actually able to turn it in farther to get a better feel and I don't feel the half cock at all when I hold the hammer while releasing trigger as described above. I did detail strip it. Taking it apart was easy. Putting it back together took two plus hours. If I hadn't seen the post on the high roads forum about putting sear spring in slot a bottom and laying it on top of sear I might never have made it. likewise the advise to insert MSH part way then add grip safety finish the install of MSH then insert thumb safety (this alone took me 45 minutes before I found that gem on the internet). All parts looked ok to my untrained eye I am now leaning towards the diagnosis that the gun was a little dry. Thinking back on the failures they all occurred 50+ rounds into the session. Although I will also try backing out overtravel screw if it occurs again. Thanks for all the advice. Really hoping it isn't overtravel screw as the adjustment I made tonight has the possibility of helping with my low and right tendency (jerking I'm left handed)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts