1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I just took delivery of a Springfield Loaded Pakerized with Night Sights last night. I have to say that I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time. Things that I'm impressed with so far:
1) Flat packerized finish. I have to say that it is pretty good finish in a tactical sense. Compared to the $2000+ Black-T brother, it has a slightly flatter finish so it would not reflect any type of light. I can see a lot of wear on this pistola because I will wear it a lot, but I think it will build character that way. :)

2) Novak's tritium night sights. I guess I don't really need to say much here. The sights provides a soft green glow in the dark.

3) The tight, but yet smooth action. The slide and frame fit is tight and there are no vertical or lateral movements just like any other SA pistols. The action is pretty smooth out of the box. It is as if someone has worked the slide couple hundred times so it smoothed out. The TGOII and Professional certainly did not have this type of smooth action until I've hand racked it at least a hundred times or so with some CLP. Of course the actions on the TGOII and Professional are buttery smooth now compare to the Loaded. Hopefully it will get just as butter smooth. I highly doubt it because of the finish, but only one can hope. :biglaugh:

Now with the disappointments:
1) Fit and finish on the extractor. Usually on a 1911 pistol the extractor is flushed at the back of the slide. Not this Loaded. It protrudes out at least 1mm so it's kind of an annoyance. Although it probably doesn't affect function, it's still annoying.

2) Fit and finish on the thumb safety. This is where you can see the difference between this pistol and it's more expensive brothers. Although it has a positive click like it's brothers, it feels somewhat "loose." When I disengage the thumb safety, there tend to be a little play unlike the positive feedback like the TGO and the Pro. You can push down the safety a tad bit further if you don't realize it's been down.

3) The roughness of the feedramp. It's somewhat rough that it prevented the first round to chamber every time. As I felt the feedramp on the frame, it catches the bullet on it's way up when loading. I had to take the gun apart and smooth out the feedramp. It's a small annoyance, but was an easy fix. The pistol feeds okay now. I guess only a range session can tell if it really worked or not.

Summary:
I bought this pistol as my future main work horse. After, I'm done breaking it in and evaluate it's reliability, it will be my main carry weapon when I'm allowed to carry.
There is definitely a big difference in terms of parts and build quality of this Springfield vs. it's more expensive brothers. The fit and finish is good, but not when compare to others. I think my $1000 Kimber has better fit and finish than this $650 Springfield. As you can see, there is a $350+ difference between the two. I guess you generally do get what you paid for.
Couple of things I would like to change on this work horse. One being the two piece guiderod. Althought I never really had one come loose on me, I am more incline to switch that to a GI or a one piece guiderod. Many of you may say it's a waste of money, but in my little feeble mind it may increase reliability. I don't know. I guess I'll shoot 500 rds or so then find out. Another thing is replacing the Titanium firing pin. I know it's a safety feature, but I also heard it has a tendency to break. I guess you have to weight in safety vs. reliability.
All in all I think this is a damn fine pistol for the money. As a matter of fact, I think it's hard to beat. Other than the gripes I have, I think I can overlook them for the amount I paid. After it is broken in and reliability determined, I see it to be my main carry weapon for years to come. I'll probably write a range report after some range time. Thanks for the bandwidth and time. :cool:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
thanks for sharing and enjoy that gun.

one quick comment:

i had issue's (major with one gun and minor with the other) with both my loaded 9mm's and S A Service did an incredible job of taking care of the "problems". you might bounce your concerns with them and see if they will do the work (under warranty) needed to resolve them and put this gun in the shape you really want it.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mitrod3 said:
thanks for sharing and enjoy that gun.

one quick comment:

i had issue's (major with one gun and minor with the other) with both my loaded 9mm's and S A Service did an incredible job of taking care of the "problems". you might bounce your concerns with them and see if they will do the work (under warranty) needed to resolve them and put this gun in the shape you really want it.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:
Those are little issues I can deal with. I have to shoot it and see if it cycles okay first, then depending on how it performs then I'll give the guys at Springfield a call. I'm sure everything will be okay. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kinny--

It your loaded parkerized is hitting where you aim it, then you're ahead of me. Mine (that I purchased two weekends ago) had to be sent back to Springfield due to its propensity to shoot about 4" low. The only other gripes I had were a semi-sloppy grip safety and some really sharp edges on the ambi safety. Other than that, mine is smooth and 150-rounds-100%-reliable.

Hopefully, I'll have it back next week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had a SA Loaded SS for over a year. The extractor fits flush, the thumb safety is crisp and has a nice positive snap, and function has been 100% through 4000+ rounds, mostly ball, some various hp which fed just fine.

I also have a loaded champ and a loaded compact and the extractor and safety fit is just as good on these. The champ feeds 100% but I have only perhaps 500 rounds through it. The compact is close to 100%.

If I were to buy another loaded sight unseen and were to find the small issues you have found, I would send it back to SA to make it as good as my others.

I think SA loadeds are a great value.

btw, tighten the 2 piece guide rod well or it tends to loosen with lots of shooting. I have been planning to convert to gi rod and plug for ease of field stripping, but I have been getting more and more accustomed to the minor inconvenience of the long rod and reverse plug.

Congrats!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also have a brand new Loaded parkerized model and after putting in 750 rounds it shot 3' low at 7 yards and 6" low at 25 yards however it held a 1.5" group at 25 yards and shot all brands of hollow point. I sent it back to Springfield about 6 weeks ago and called today and they changed the sights to be point of aim/point of impact at my requested 15 yd distance and also reduced the sharpness on the ambi thumb safety and reparkerized it!!! I should have it back Friday or Monday they say.
While that Loaded model is at Springfield I purchased a Milspec parkerized .45 and I must say that this gun(which has an NM serial # and a one piece brl) is just as accurate than my Heinie built guns and my Les Baer gun. It too had sharp edges on the grip safety and thumb safety so i melted the edges down and when I get my Loaded model back I will send these parts back to Springfield for reparkerizing. The trigger job on the Milspec is much better than the Loaded model and it shoots point of aim/point of impact!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
roby said:
whats up man. where ya been? did ya fall off the face of the planet? yo got some sweet acquisitions now :)
No. Didn't fall off. I still go to ASC when time permits. School and work. Plus I don't post on the other forums anymore. I post here though. And thanks. My collection is growing slowly but surely. :biglaugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.