1911Forum banner

springfield loaded shooting 6" low at 25 yards

2008 Views 14 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Fatdaddy
i just shot my first 1911 a Springfield Armory loaded parked. it at everything i ran through it with no problem. the only issue i had with the performance was where the pistol grouped. the groups were tight but rested about 6" low on the target. is this a somewhat common problem with some guns from the factory? what measures can i take to move the groups up?

andy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes this is a common problem and it stems from the fact that Springfield uses the wrong front sight height in relation to how the barrel locks up.

You can send it back to the factory under the warrantee and they will fix it. For the life of me I don't understand why Springfield hasn't addressed this sooner but maybe it is cheaper to not address it and deal with the cost of the warrantee work and return shipping than it is to fix it on the front end.

In my case I have been using a Caspian adjustable rear sight to get it to hit POA. Lest anyone feels I am flaming Springfield I can assure you that I am not. I love my Springfield and think their loaded model is the best value out there. I just wish they would fix this particular issue with the loaded as it reflects poorly on an otherwise great company.

· Registered
347 Posts
psiderugger said:
i just shot my first 1911 a Springfield Armory loaded parked. it at everything i ran through it with no problem. the only issue i had with the performance was where the pistol grouped. the groups were tight but rested about 6" low on the target. is this a somewhat common problem with some guns from the factory? what measures can i take to move the groups up?

andy
This is a common problem with SA. especially their shorter barrelled pistols. Brownells sell a rear sight especially for SA's shoooting low. Probably be your cheapest alternative. I filed the front sight of mine down to the white dot and it shoots 230 grain to point of aim now but the lighter bullets go about 4 inches low.

sfnamvet

· Registered
2,235 Posts
Call Springfield customer service and explain your problem. They would probably be willing to send out a replacement sight, of a different height, to you if you feel comfortable replacing it. Or, they'll have you send the pistol in for correction.

One other option, (a friend of mine took), was to replace the fixed rear sight on his Loaded with the Springfield adjustable model which slides right in. They have it listed on their Loaded accessory coupon that comes with the gun for something like $29.

· Registered
159 Posts
My 5" Loaded went back to Springfield on Monday for this problem. They will send a replacement front sight (.180" comes on the gun, .160 & .140 available), but not if they are night sights. They have to change those. They didn't say anything about replacing the rear sight, but that's what they did for a friend who just go back his 5" Loaded last week. (BTW, it was 18 days out the door and back for him.)

You can send just the slide, or the whole gun. If you send the gun, they test fire it and I know at least a few people have had the gun returned with the test target.

Merry Christmas,
Chas.

· Registered
238 Posts
Request the Novak Officers model higher rear sight!!!! SA replaced my front sight witha a MUCH LOWER front sight and there was not enough height to get a good sight pic so I had a custom gunsmith put the taller rear Novak on and a new standart height front sight and it is POA?POI at 10 yds & 25 YDS with 230gn loads!!

· Registered
15,190 Posts
but first

No disrespect intended, but suggest letting someone else with demonstrated ability try your gun to see if it shoots low for them.
Then, if so, return for warranty service.

Excellent warranty service.

· Premium Member
9,785 Posts
No disrespect intended, but suggest letting someone else with demonstrated ability try your gun to see if it shoots low for them.
Then, if so, return for warranty service.

Excellent warranty service.
excellent advice, and may I also say, in conjunction with letting another shooter try, also bring an assortment of different ammo to the range to test along side.

Did you consider shooting it at a slightly shorter distance from a rest?? I would not address sight issues until you take the suspect shooter OUT of the equation, either by doing what Wes said, with different ammo, a sandbag rest, or all three together. Then and only then when the misalignment is confirmed, then start making adjustments. just a thought.

· Registered
479 Posts
Call Springfield customer service and explain your problem. They would probably be willing to send out a replacement sight, of a different height, to you if you feel comfortable replacing it. Or, they'll have you send the pistol in for correction.

One other option, (a friend of mine took), was to replace the fixed rear sight on his Loaded with the Springfield adjustable model which slides right in. They have it listed on their Loaded accessory coupon that comes with the gun for something like $29.
+1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.