1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Springfield Mil-Spec. Shot .45 alot of my 24 years of service. Since we are empty nesting now and I have a meager range set up here at the ranch, I have shot a couple of USPSA single stack matches at the nearest club. I am not trying to be a world champ, but I am practicing quit a bit (reloader is used constantly) and just want to be better.

Looking to upgrade from the Mil-Spec and have always liked the Springfields.

RO or Loaded?

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Realistically either will work fine. For ME they would make a good base gun.

For you it depends on what features you value more or less. The Loaded will come with both a full length guide rod and front cocking serrations.

The RO will be "supposedly" fitted to a higher standard. Also it will come with a standard guide rod and no FCS.

Both will have smooth front straps and basic beveled frame magwell instead of a add on oversized magwell, which will require the most urgent upgrades IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. What are your thoughts on adjustable sights on the rear? I have fired 10’s of thousands of rounds over my career at targets and tissue. Never really had a problem being accurate “enough” with combat sights. Now my practice is geared toward maintaining accurate enough to hit 11x6 inches with a little more pace.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Adjustable sights have this reputation of sometimes breaking, so some people who shoot a lot don't want adjustable sights. All the "Loaded" Springfields seem to come with fixed sights, and the RO with adjustable. For me, give me the adjustable sights any time it is a pistol for range use.

Are you sold on a full length guiderod for any reason? The "Loaded" version has one, and the RO does not. Some of my Dad's gunsmith friends believed they made a 1911 operate more smoothly, but I don't feel it. If I was constantly changing a .45 for a .22 upper, it would be a lot more convenient if both had full length rods, but I don't do that. If I pulled the top off all the time for some other reason, it might prevent wear on the barrel where it contacts the barrel bushing during disassembly, but I don't do that much either.

Think about what else you might do with the pistol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This pistol won’t, unless the world changes, be used for anything but targets. All day everyday I have a lever gun and a S&W N frame at hand. Those take care of feral hogs, coyotes and anything else that happen on the place. I have a Kimber commander that is in the truck when I am on the road. I actually have 2 safes worth of inventory. This purchase will just be something to enable fun, fellowship and competition. If I could get up to a C or B shooter that is the goal. In my 60’s I just need something to compete in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a pair of ROs. The parkerized one has 18k rounds thru it with 3 failures to feed or eject. The plunger housing loosened up on it this spring, but it has otherwise been trouble free. The stainless one is brand new, I'm looking forward to having a backup gun when I drive to bigger matches out of state.

I do replace the triggers, sears & hammers. I also fit a Dawson front sight and ICE magwell.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why not use your gun, but put a new quality barrel and tight barrel bushing in, as well as a magwell. You obviously are very familiar and comfortable with the feel and trigger of the gun, why change to something that may require some time to get used to again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Either will be fine assuming they are reliable. I shoot a lot of USPSA single stack with a magwell, fiber optic front and have both standard and adjustable rear sights. I've had bad luck with adjustables falling apart on me. Once I shot the first day of a 2 day match and the rear fell apart at my last shooting position on the last stage of the day. Had to switch to my backup.

I've been limited to sights that use the novak dovetail so others might be better. But now I have the correct height rear Dawson non adjustable to match my front and feel better knowing it won't fall apart. I'm 67.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Supposedly the blued model is a tiny fraction more accurate than the stainless model.
According to internet article comparison tests long ago.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I shoot a RO in USPSA with excellent results. Several thousand rounds with only the plunger tube loosening up a bit. Bought the tool and reswaged it back to perfection. I did have NHC do the front strap checkering, I also installed EB extended mag release with reduced power spring behind it as well as changed the grips. I'll be shooting it this Saturday in the VA State USPSA match, 12 stages!
20190404_163312.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good input from all you! Thanks

I think right now I am going to be running bunches of rounds through the Mil-Spec. I need to find a posted FO front and a rear that will go in the mil-spec grooves. I think Dawson has them. Will do some polishing on the rails. (Polishing, not filing) Probably do a complete strip and see where we are. Maybe a little polish on the disconnetor, etc. I will have fun shooting the heck out of this mil spec and figure out which way I want to go in the next year or so.

Thanks again.

PS... At least in this USPSA deal the targets don't shoot back!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Do NOT polish the frame rails. That will do nothing to smooth the feel of your weapon and will only simulate thousands of rounds of wear and tear.

Over on the gunsmithing forum someone asked how he can make his budget gun FEEL like a Wilson or other high end custom. The answer is you can not.

Wislon, Ed Brown, Baer and the other top tier brands start with oversized frames and slides. They then precision fit the slide to the frame, so the rails and slide ways are exactly parallel and have the exact same tolerance at all points.

You can NOT do that with hand tools after the fact, it has to be done when the gun is built at the beginning. The only way to come close is to recut the slide ways so they are the exact same size and exactly parallel, then weld up the frame rails and machine them down to exactly fit the slide.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd work more on body position, no gear will fix that.
I could feel so much stuff being "off" last event with basically the whole year of no practice.

My exit timing was inconsistent.

I felt like there was a voice in my head telling me my shoulders were too tight low.

I noticeably was AA left side of my body and right side I had 2 Ms and a ton of AC/AD going too fast on close paper.

I was zooming into right side boxes trying to make up time, left side barricades I'm taking my time to make shots. Mental errors all over the place I'm thinking about during the run.

I slowed down or sped up based on stage concerns when my pace should have been consistent and it was telling.

That weekend happened with 3 diff classes and similar results, so it ain't all 3 guns decided to become inaccurate pointed to the right.

I was just going too fast and I'd gained covid weight making my low tripod and high tip toe wobbly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I use an RO in IDPA. I added a FLGR from Wilson and a magwell from Smith & Alexander. 1000's of rounds, not a single failure. Just added a red dot. Damn it's fast!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts