1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing the grip safety on my blued loaded model to get a higher grip. I've tried to wade through previous comments here regarding the radius on the Springfield frames (.22 vs .25) and I'm guessing that the loaded models have a .22" radius?

If thats the case, it seems that the only choice for an aftermarket Grip Safety is Smith & Alexander (as trying to put a .25" radius part on a frame that's cut for .22" is going to result in a gap).

If Smith & Alexander is the only choice then the next question that comes up....what/who has Springfield installing on their Loaded models in the first place? If its already a S&A, there's no reason to get another one to start blending in as I can use my existing Grip Safety. If its their own, then perhaps the S&A part may be a better place to start.

·
Administrator
74,721 Posts
I think theirs is indeed the S&A unit.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I was under the impression it was a McCormick, he advertises the size to fit SA, I believe 220, or 225, whatever it is.
Regards SonnyD You might try his website
chipmccormickcorp.com

·
Registered
173 Posts
Springfield originally used S&A grip safties,
but now they use there own,which are just like S&A'S but hollowed out on the inside.
Tom Novak (HANDGUNNER)

Novak's Handgunner Outlet
(724)539-2774

·
Registered
19 Posts
I talked with S&A earlier this week. The part is a contracted out part that springfield CS rep didnt know. I am trying a S&A part on a mil spec gun. I have been wondering how the Ed brown will work on a mil spec gun. Do you have to weld up the grip tang for the Ed brown to fit real tight on top and bottom.

Thanks for the info

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Vapors, the grip safety that comes on the SA Loaded gun is about as high as you can get. The safety that came on my new 9mm SA is much higher than the ones on my Kimbers. I think any increase would be minimal. The area that needs the most attention is under the trigger guard. As a side note the grip safety on a Charles Daly is the highest I have seen on a production gun.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If you are careful during the fitting, you can use a McCormick high grip and not have that ugly gap. Just make sure you don't remove too much material from the tang.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts