1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend let me shoot his springfield M1911A1 the one with front serration ,beaver tail grip safty and full lenght guide rod ,it is lot prettier than my Norinco but the last emptied got smash up severely both side of case mount crumple. He use 230 grn S&B ammo .He told me that this happen quite frequent .My question is what cause this ? Bad magazine ,bad extractor or the S&B load a bit too hot making slide goes back faster ? Has any springfield owner experience this problem?

·
Registered
117 Posts
S&B is notorious for not cycling the 1911. The last round has little tension from the follower in the magazine. In the other rounds, the ammo in the magazine boots the empty case a bit faster than when the last case is tossed by the extractor and ejector without any "boost" from the follower.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi, I shoot exclusively S&B 230 gr FMJ at the range and I've put over 1,000 rds each through my 2 Wilsons, 2 Kimbers, and a Springfield Armory. I've use factory mags, Wilson Mags, Chip McCormick Star Mags, and Colt mags. I've only had about 3 failures total (2 failure of slide to lock after last rd, 1 FTE). Sorry to say, check the pistol, it sounds like a bad extractor or ejector or both. I've done so many combinations, I don't see it being the ammo at all.

[This message has been edited by ZekeLuvs1911 (edited 11-22-2001).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for the info. The dent brass didn't bother my friend as much because it happen only a few times . He paid $550 for this one brand new so it is a good deal ( now the price goes up to $705). Next time I will try Wilson magazine and other brand of ammo.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My SA 1911A1 used to do that until I changed the extractor. I put in a Wilson extractor and it hasn't happened since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts