1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I own over 30 1911A1's of various makes, the only "mil-spec" I own to date is a Norinco 1911A1, which is as dependable as my Wilson CQB. Today at the gunshop, I found a Springfield Armory 1911A1 Mil-Spec on sale for $474 so I got it. It's the basic gun, no throating, polishing, beavertail, no lowered ejection port. And I took it to the range upstairs along with a box of PMC Spitfire 230gr JHP. Firing at the 31ft range on an FBI Q target, all 20 rounds hit dead center, with not ONE malf.

I have to say, for a mil-spec weapon, it's functioning is so far flawless. Howerver, I'll say more this weekend after I take it to the range for it's 650 round break in period.

Though, to be totally honest here, I will most likely be adding a beavertail grip safety, as after only 20 rounds, I have the ever present 1911A1 syndrome on the web of my right hand.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
While I own over 30 1911A1's of various makes, the only "mil-spec" I own to date is a Norinco 1911A1, which is as dependable as my Wilson CQB. Today at the gunshop, I found a Springfield Armory 1911A1 Mil-Spec on sale for $474 so I got it. It's the basic gun, no throating, polishing, beavertail, no lowered ejection port. And I took it to the range upstairs along with a box of PMC Spitfire 230gr JHP. Firing at the 31ft range on an FBI Q target, all 20 rounds hit dead center, with not ONE malf.
I have to say, for a mil-spec weapon, it's functioning is so far flawless. Howerver, I'll say more this weekend after I take it to the range for it's 650 round break in period. Though, to be totally honest here, I will most likely be adding a beavertail grip safety, as after only 20 rounds, I have the ever present 1911A1 syndrome on the web of my right hand.
Enjoy that gun and thanks for sharing. The Mil Spec Springer is one fine weapon and you did right good on that price. My Springer Parked Mil Spec has a Marvel Unit 2 .22 conversion riding on it now but it saw a bunch of .45 go down range. My small hands kept me from having any problem with the grip safety/hammer. Mine started out as a fine shooter, but a custom fitted barrel bushing made it into one really fine shooter. Zippo problems and she ran like a champ. I ended up doing a couple of other mods for personal look and preference sake, but that was the only mod that directly related to her shooting and accuracy.

Edit: I lied.....I also had the trigger taken down a bit in pull weight.

2nd Edit: Just read the post below and your description does sound like the GI instead of the Mil Spec.....especially the ejection port. Are the sights decent sized or miniscule?

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
922 Posts

I have to say, for a mil-spec weapon, it's functioning is so far flawless. Howerver, I'll say more this weekend after I take it to the range for it's 650 round break in period.

Though, to be totally honest here, I will most likely be adding a beavertail grip safety, as after only 20 rounds, I have the ever present 1911A1 syndrome on the web of my right hand.
Ahhh so you didn't get the AO you were thinking about? Good choice! As you know Springfield customer service is bar none. I have a Springfield "Mil-Spec" and it has a lowered ejection port, sights you can actually see, slanted slide grooves, etc. I think what you bought is the GI.45. I wish Springfield would change the name of the Mil-Spec. Most people think of WWII config when they say Mil-Spec. But that's another topic. Your new GI is an excellent new addition!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have a Springfield "Mil-Spec" and it has a lowered ejection port, sights you can actually see, slanted slide grooves, etc. I think what you bought is the GI.45. I wish Springfield would change the name of the Mil-Spec. Most people think of WWII config when they say Mil-Spec. But that's another topic. Your new GI is an excellent new addition!
when i bought my GI45 the green tag on it said mil-spec.. so yeah they are confusing a bit.

as adressed above though, the easiest way to tell is the mil spec has the lowered ejection port and the springer logo on it, where as the GI45 doesnt have either.

you still got a good deal. i have mine and have been shooting it and carrying it for duty and off duty use. i havent had a single issue with it. its truely a good sturdy 1911 at a good price.

cant wait to see the range reports on it, mine is more accurate than i expected it to be..

keep us posted

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

My bad lol, yeah your right, it's the GI-Mil-Spec version lol, military issue sights and all. Only changes I've made are to install custum smoothwood grips with stainless screws, stainless extended slide stop.

The pic above is a B8R target with 40 rounds of PMC Starfire 230gr JHP and 10 rounds of Samson 230gr FMJ at 31ft. I shot these this morning to make sure the part changes I made worked out. I'll hit the range this weekend for the 600 round break in.

The one thing that surprises me is that I get the same accuracy from my Les Baer and Wilson CQB and RRA 1911A1 that I do with this GI Issue "mil-spec".

Amazing.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
My bad lol, yeah your right, it's the GI-Mil-Spec version lol, military issue sights and all. Only changes I've made are to install custum smoothwood grips with stainless screws, stainless extended slide stop.
Post a pic, if possible.....would love to see it.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
welcome to the world of Springfield...the thing being they are one of the best bang for the buck guns to be found....my GI ran like a top from the word go...and not only that, you have one of the best base guns for modding in the future if you wish...just a perfect plain jane 1911 if there ever was one. congrats on a great find. Don't even get me started on the stellar customer service and the equally fantastic Custom Shop over there...SA will always have your back.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This makes my 11th springfield in my safe, but, all my other Springfields have all been the modified such as the Loaded models, to the TRP, the Operator etc......

All told I have 1911's from :

Safari Arms
Colt
Springfield Armory
Sig
Smith & Wesson
Norinco
Rock River Arms
Les Baer
Wilson Combat
Kings Custom Combat
Israel Arms
Kimber

I'm glad I did decide not to go with the STS Loaded or the Kimber Custom Tactical II.

In my heart though, the 1911A1 shown below will ALWAYS be my 1st reached for defense weapon.

Or:

·
Registered
922 Posts

The pic above is a B8R target with 40 rounds of PMC Starfire 230gr JHP and 10 rounds of Samson 230gr FMJ at 31ft. I shot these this morning to make sure the part changes I made worked out. I'll hit the range this weekend for the 600 round break in.

The one thing that surprises me is that I get the same accuracy from my Les Baer and Wilson CQB and RRA 1911A1 that I do with this GI Issue "mil-spec".

Amazing.
Are you sure you are not pulling our leg? How is that good shooting done with those tiny GI sights? Well done.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Are you sure you are not pulling our leg? How is that good shooting done with those tiny GI sights? Well done
acutally im not surprised. i still see the gi sights pretty good. granted they arent the best for defense, but target shooting they are the same principal, line em up and shoot. my GI has been very accurate, i couldnt be happier with mine.

i think a lot of people are finding that this basic GI45 is a great buy and a great pistol.... i want another just to have one to tinker with...

congrats on the pistol, and congrats on the shooting!!!

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL 1Blue;

One item your forgetting is that I've been shooting the 1911A1 platform for 37 years, from IPSC, IDPA, Bullseye competition to my tour as a hospital corpsman with the Marines in the very early 80's (Beirut), to my 3 year IDF committment, then back to the states for LE and much more competition.

·
Registered
922 Posts
LOL 1Blue;

One item your forgetting is that I've been shooting the 1911A1 platform for 37 years, from IPSC, IDPA, Bullseye competition to my tour as a hospital corpsman with the Marines in the very early 80's (Beirut), to my 3 year IDF committment, then back to the states for LE and much more competition.
From your sig it appears you are 10 years younger than me. I'm 52 and I just can't see those itty bitty GI sights. So my GI received new sights real quick. Plus I've got a slight shake in my grip going on. Well that's my excuse/story for my less than stellar shooting skills and I'm sticking with it.... Hell I just shoot to have fun. Who am I trying to kid?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From your sig it appears you are 10 years younger than me. I'm 52 and I just can't see those itty bitty GI sights. So my GI received new sights real quick. Plus I've got a slight shake in my grip going on. Well that's my excuse/story for my less than stellar shooting skills and I'm sticking with it.... Hell I just shoot to have fun. Who am I trying to kid?
LOL, your so right about the sights. We have a gun show scheduled here for Jan 26-27. We have a local gunsmith, Dare Gun Room, who does Excellent work.

I plan on having them install Trijicon sights, polish and throat the bbl, lower the ejection port and flair it and install a beavertail grip safety. I'll prob end up trading him my Norinco 1911A1 for the work, he's been after it since I got it at over 100k rounds documented. Dunno if he just wants to tinker or what, but while I love the Norinco, I'm kind of leary after 100k rounds.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Sousana, I have the "G.I" as many other 1911's and decided to leave this one stock (except the grips and ILS-MSH). My G.I. shoots the black right out of an NRA pistol target at 50 feet! I love my G.I. and it has been running great! Congrads:rock:

·
Registered
387 Posts
sousana said:
Amazing.
Nice shooting!

You're right. I've got a couple of Springfield Mil Specs and they have been unbelievably accurate. Stephen Camp's results (see target pics) in his review of the Mil Spec/GI on "High Powers and Handguns" say it all. In my experience, the Springfield GI and Mil Spec are as under-rated as it gets in the 1911 world.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Critical Look at Springfield Mil Spec.htm

Looking forward to more range results.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This past year I was fortunate enough to get a GI and MilSpec...both excellent shooters but like many have mentioned, the sights on the GI had to go...gonna keep the Milspec original..but sent the GI out to Don Williams at Action Works...put the old guy wider 2 dot rear sights on, installed commander hammer and machined the top of the grip safety to accommodate the new hammer...plus a trigger job...now one of my favorite shooters...

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think in this day and age of convenience, where you can get any gun any way you want, we sometimes forget, that the simple guns are usually among the best around. All guns need a little tweaking, including the race guns.

I took my GI model out this weekend and put 700 rounds of PMC Starfire 230gr JHP, and 300 rounds of Speer Gold dot brass 230gr FMJ. I had not ONE FTF or MALF of any kind. The PMC was all fired at the 31ft target range and shots averaged 1.03". At 50ft, using the CCI Brass FMJ loads, accuracy was measured at 1.54", but when I purchased another box of PMC and fired the 20 rounds at 50ft, the accuracy improved to 1.14". It seems to me that the PMC ammo is best suited for my GI Model, so I'm going to order a couple cases from midway.

Field stripping the GI model after 1000rounds I found no wear or tear, the fit was still nice and tight, though the action was a tad smoother and the single action pull was measured at 4.5lbs, not bad for a factory weapon.

I think, at most I will have Novack High profile sights installed with trijicon, a commander hammer and beavertail grip safety. Since this weapon exhibited ZERO ejection problems, I see no need to lower the ejection port, and since the trigger pull is wear I like it on a non competition weapon, I'll leave that alone.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts