1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with my SA Mil-Spec 1911A1 feeding. It fires the round okay, ejects the spent case okay, but it hangs up feeding the next round. The round strips forward, but doesn't ride up the feed ramp very far. If I pull the slide back a half inch and let it loose, it usually chambers the round. It sometimes happens when dropping the slide on a new magazine or when feeding during firing.

The problem has occured with PMP, S&B and IMI .45 ammo. It has also occured with the SA factory magazine and two Chip McCormick 10 rd mags fully loaded or loaded with 7 rounds.

As a note, I only had one or two of these FTFs during the first 100 rounds or so. I initially attributed it to a break-in kind of thing. However, since then it happens almost every magazine, usually within the first round or so.

Initially I thought it was hanging on the extractor, but a closer inspection seems to indicate that the nose of the bullet is rubbing on the feed ramp. After a few magazines, I wiped the carbon off of the feed ramp and noticed a couple spots where the copper jacketed bullet was leaving rub marks. It sure looks like the bullet is dragging a little too much, as I have never really noticed this on my other pistols (9mm, .380, .32)

Can this be fixed myself? Is it as simple as polishing the feed ramp? If so, what's the best method? I have a Dremel and polishing tips at my disposal.

Thanks in advance,
LL

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'd say that yes, you could fix this yourself. But from the ammo you described, I guess you're talking round-nose, full metal jacket bullets? It really ought to be feeding those, out of just about any mag. My push-button cure would be to get some Wilson-Rogers mags (which is a must anyway). I'm sure that'll help, but being FMJ rounds, they still ought to be feeding in your current setup. Got a Dremel? Take a whack at polishing it if you trust yourself.... don't remove metal, especially at the break in the feedramp where barrel meets frame.

·
Registered
94 Posts
LightingLink:
If you check out the Topic "Help, feeding problems with ball ammo", you'll find similar situations that you're having where the 1st round noses up (locking the slide open) and when you pull the slide back, the back of the round raises up and then it will chamber. I'm having the same problem with my SA and it's now in the hands of a friend of mine (a gunsmith)who has my firearm and looking into the problem. He said he should have an answer for me in the next few days. I'll post the findings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts