1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Springfield fullsize 1911 available as a mil-spec stainless steel version? Or does mil-spec automatically mean carbon steel?

I am looking for a high quality base gun to be used for custom smithing and would prefer stainless steel.

Thanks for any information,

protodoc

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Having searched high and low for Mil-Specs, all I have seen are parkerized versions. I agree; a stainless version would be cool.

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
If it's stainless it wouldn't be milspec since the military hasn't spec'd a stainless gun (yet).

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
We use this term pretty loosely anymore, don't we? I think about the only thing mil-spec stands for any more is the terms "plain and parkerized".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I am looking for is an no frills stainless steel gun (well I guess that is a frill in itself). Anyway, Springfield responded to a email I sent them indicating that they are not selling such a gun nor are they planning to.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

protodoc

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
col132, while the stainless 1991 is a fine gun, there is just something about that matte stainless thats a turn off. I love the finish on the Ser 80 Gov't model stainless. Granted, on most of my guns I have them plated with Armor-tuff by Wilson Combat, but on some occassions I keep them with factory finish.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I agree sousana. But sounds like protodoc is looking for a quality base gun to build up at a decent price. Around here the XSE's are going for $200-$300 more than the 1991A1's. Didn't think he'd want to kick it up that much. Even the decent older Series 80's in my neck of the woods are $650-$750.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
So true Col132, I picked up tonight a Safari Arms GI model with a parkerized matchmaster slide fitted at the factory for $200 plus my Mossberg 500a. I'm gonna send it in to either Wilson or Kings and have either an Armor-tuff finish applied similar to my CQB's or have it metaloyed which is a stainless appearing satin teflon finish. I purchased today also a Gold Cup Trophy and the dealer had a brand new Colt lightweight commander STS for $649. If all your looking to do is buy a gun to build it up I would suggest looking for a Norinco 1911 or an Essex model. I've been told by gunsmiths that Thompson Auto Ordnance guns are good, but not heat treated. I might also suggest the AMT Hardballer which is now Gallina Arms I believe. Their good guns and not so expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts