1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally a 1911 owner. I went to the range today with my new Springfield mil spec. And things went great. No problems at all after a couple hundred rounds. I bought it, it came home got detail stripped, with a little help. And I added some lube and off to range. After the break in it actually feels a little smoother. I have a new dovetail from Wilson Combat on the way soon as well. Life is good.

·
Administrator
13,258 Posts
Glad you joined us !

Your range report has a familier ring to it . :) Most first time Mil-Spec owners are reporting the same as you . Reliable , rugged , great value .

They are definately a "Best Buy" !

Thanks for reporting in .

·
Registered
379 Posts
My experience is that you can spend more on a 1911 and have problems or spend less and have a 100% reliability. I know this flies in the face of you get what you pay for, but if I had to rely on one pistol if would be my Springfiled 1911 milspec (WWII ed.) ($400) rather than my Kimber compact ($700). Springfiled has been 100% out of the box w/CM SS mags. Kimber is now 100%, but it was a bumpy road.

Congrats on your new 1911.

tjg

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also picked up a Springfield milspec this year. It has performed very well from the "git go." My son-in-law who is a LEO was putting up 2" groups one handed at 25 feet and only an inch or so larger with his off hand. (I'm lucky to find the 4 inch circle now and then.) No FTFs or other problems at all.

I had forgotten that wonderful military grip safety that brings blood to the web of my hand after a dozen shots or so. I had the factory install a beavertail safety and skeletonized hammer for me. I also would have preferred a full length spring guide for easier reassembly. (Sorry purists.) On balance, it's a great shooting value.

Regarding Kimber . . . I have a Gold Match which I prize. It has worked flawlessly since the day I got it. It shoots FMJ, JHP and LSWC with equal facility. My only problem was a rear sight that I could no longer adjust, I think because I stripped something internal. Kimber replaced the sight no charge, even though it was long out of warranty. They really stand behind their product.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same problem with the grip safety. So I installed a "drop in" (yeah right) beavertail from Wilson combat. Also added a new trigger and hammer to work with it. Shooting great so far.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Mil-Spec and my experiences have been similar to other posters. Great value. Great gun and shooter that just keeps getting better with age. My experience with the grip safety is also similar to yours. I examined it and discovered that the offending piece (the mini-beavertail part) is apparently roughly shaped using what appears to be a grinding wheel. The person who shaped mine must have been myopic. The right side was nicely rounded. The left side was shaped with an edge like a prison-made shiv. I took my dremel tool and re-shaped the corners to a more skin friendly shape. No problem since then but I'm still trying to match the odd color of the safety with paint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Mil_spec WWII and i have no problems with it i like it,i like the regular guide rod it goes back together with no tools and i have no problem with the regular grip saftey and i have large hands, all in all i think it's a great pistol:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
springfield ww11

Hey guys just wanted to say that I love my Springfiels ww11 45. It fits good functions good and shoots good :)

Chevy's rule

:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
With all that good words I've read, I went and bought one and will pick up the gun Thursday. I'll join the club as well. Mark

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought one a year ago and it was the same story. No problems, no breakdowns, no malfunctions just a good solid 1911. I have no problem with the grip safety but I don't like the heavy hammer spring with the MSH lock.
Mike

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I agree the Mil-Spec is a good shooter and alot of fun. Since getting the front sight replaced (shot way low) I just keep shooting it and there's no malfunctions of any kind.

One thing - the grips will probably crack so get a backup set. I read this when I first got mine so I bought a cheap pair of grips from a member here, and sure enough last range trip they cracked. Got rubber ones on there now until I can afford good ones. :)

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Question about MilSpec features

I know the MilSpec is not pure WWII, but it doesn't have a lot of the features of other loaded pistols, beavertail, different hammer, etcetera.

What exactly does it have in the way of differences? I know it has HiViz 3-dot sight, rather than the WWII sights, for example. Is the ejection port lowered or not? Is the pistol dehorned or left sharp? Is the magwell beveled or not.

Can you let me know? Thanks. I'm looking into getting one for a minimal-mod pistol, mostly reliability work and dehorning, otherwise leaving it stock as much as possible. I want to know what to price.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Johncollins, the ejection port is lowered, magwell is beveled. I had to do a little filing on the magwell where the lip of the magazine rest. It was very sharp. I beveled the back of the slide stop where it touches the frame. I tweaked the extractor according to the Marshal's reliability secret:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm

It is a good looking gun. It will go to the range next Wednesday. Best price, I might buy another in the future. It sold for $469 in Northern VA at Galyan's. It also came with the loaded coupon with a great discount on mags, Novak adj. ect. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply

That's the one to start with! Planning my birthday present already (August).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts