1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've recently gotten the 1911 bug and would like to start expanding my 1911 collection. Right now I just have a basic SA Loaded with Hoque grip. Been thinking about a hicap 1911. A few years ago I shot a Para Limited P14. I found the wide body to be more comfortable than a standard 1911 body. Would you recommend the SA or Para Hicap as a platform for mild customizing (trigger job, smoothing out gun, etc.)?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
79 Posts
I will be the first to admit that I don't have any actual experience with either of the hicap guns you are asking about. But I remember talking with a local smith that does most of my 1911 work and him telling me something about the hardness of the Para frame causing him problems while he was doing something to it. I think he was attempting to put in a new mainspring housing/extended magwell, but it could have been using his mill to change something. Anyway, I know this is information is probably of little use to you, but at least you might put a post in the gunsmithing section of this forum and ask about issues with customization due to the hardness of the frame... I hope this helps a little and I hope you end up happy with the choice you make.

Maddux70

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The Para and the Springfield frames are dimensionally practically identical. I don't know the similarities/differences in the metallurgy.

You might also consider STI or SV widebodies. The frames are readily available for a complete build up of a custom gun, or both companies offer many models of complete pistols to choose from.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah, the two frames look about identical even the surface (lines) on the front strap, of course they both take Para hi-cap mags.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been shooting a SA High-Cap in USPSA for about a year now and am very satisfied and impressed. After another shooter here set me straight about crimp diameter, I have not had a single problem in the last 2500 rounds or so.

I know many would not consider this weapon to be a "true" 1911, but the first time I picked one up I knew it was just made for my hand.

Now if someone would just make a nice set of aftermarket grips............

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Cap Springfield 1911

Hi i have one and love the gun VERY accurate and reliable if i could only get after market grips it would be perfect it does take the para hi cap mags but comes with 2 aftermarket looking mags.

Hope this helps
Randy

·
Banned
108 Posts
Springfield Armory frames are forged, Para frames are cast. Most prefer forged because strength.

A good forging is better than a better casting. Of course the better forging is better than the best casting. And the best forging....well, you get the idea:D . Just my personal preference and opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got through adding some tuneup/reliability parts to a Springfield Hicap I got last week. First time to the range last Saturday I put 372 rounds through it with one FTF, Shoots a little left, which may be due to small hands and not enough trigger reach. I fitted a Gun Craft Para short trigger today, and the reach problem is gone. Also added a Wilson Bulletproof extractor and firing pin stop, 18.5 lb. Wolff recoil spring, and Wolff mags springs for the P14 mags I'm using. Got an Ed Brown Hardcore slide stop, but didn't have time to fit it tonight. This pistol is a real shooter. Headed to the range again tomorrow.

BTW, Para grips dont fit the Springfield.

·
Registered
84 Posts
GrandmasterB:

Doh! Why didn't I think of that?

A couple of guys I shoot with use Para P-14's. I'll have to research this a little.

Thanks!

Ah nuts, just saw that they don't. Not even with a little work maybe?

·
Registered
24 Posts
GrandmasterB said:
Do Para grips fit the Springfield?
I don't know about Para-O grips fitting, but I bought a set of Houge rubber wrap-a-round grips made for Para-O, beacuse the sales associate that I dealt with said that they would fit.

Well after test fitting them, they DON'T fit! :barf:

I tried to return them, but they would not take them back, because the package was open, since then I have never steped foot in that store.

<cough> Mega Sports in Plainfield Illinois </cough>

The only way to get the Hogue wrap-a-rounds to fit (half-assly) is to grind down the inside plastic part of the grip down to the rupper (this is after I couldn't return them).

They ended up in the trash.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'm 99% sure that the Springfield is on a Para frame, even the grips have the the extra little tab on them that fit into the frame in back of the thumb safety just like Para's......If it's not a Para frame, then someone is going to be in trouble for copyright infringement!!!! Every thing I've seen on it is Para, the only thing that's not Para is the Springfield engraving of their name on the side.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
30 Posts
SonnyD

No offense intended, but it doesn't seem likely that SA is using Para frames. Para's are made in Canada, SA frames are made in Brazil. Does the Imbel factory in Brazil belong to Para, or are they actually making Para frames in Brazil and just marking them made in Canada. If you compare a Para and SA hicap frame side-by-side, the differences are pretty obvious.

·
Administrator
13,255 Posts
wd is correct . I believe Imbel does mfg the wide body frame used in their Springfields .

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I think you are all wrong, unless Para gave Springfield permission to manufacture their frames. Looking at them both side by side, they look Identical, from the same lines on the front strap, to the little tabs on the back of the grips that fit into the cutout on the frame. I've never seen another frame that has that cutout. If you go to the Para site and the Springfield site you can compare them. The pictures on the Para site aren't nearly as good as the Springfield site, but you can still see. Even the cut in front of the trigger guard is the same as well as the grips, and the Para grips fit perfectly, we tried them at the shop. It might be manufactured in Brazil, but there was no Brazil under the grip on the one they had there that we swapped grips on......They look absolutely the same to me, maybe Guy can call Springfield and see if he can get an honest answer.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had always thought that Springfield Armory pistols were American made, at least that's the clear impression that all of their advertising conveys. If not, I think the average consumer is being misled. In any event, irrespective of how closely the Springfield hi-cap pistol resembles the Para, one thing is certain - Para was the first company to introduce a hi-cap .45, well in advance of any other company. It seems that with 1911 clones everyone knows the origins of the original and every manufacturer refers back to it because of the virtues of the design. However, with hi-cap 1911 style pistols, every manufacturer, other than Para, leaves the impression that their offering was a creation of their R&D departments, whether or not they actually have any such capacity; only those manufacturers know for sure. I guess what I'm saying, and I've said this elsewhere before, is that paint jobs and pin stripes don't dazzle me; I'm impressed by creativity.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yeah, the two frames look about identical even the surface (lines) on the front strap, of course they both take Para hi-cap mags.
-----------------------------------------

I own a Springfied PX9701 L with a 10 round mag and I can say that a Para high cap mag does not work, at least in mine it doesn't. It will go into the well just fine, but it will not lock up. Mag release notch is in a different place.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
The high capacity M1911 types are great for carry in an open holster, but I've not been able to get comfortable with them in anyother use and recently albeit reluctantly parted with both my Glock 21 and Para-Ordnance P14-45. Both ran flawlessly.

Only after lots of shooting was I able to come to grips with the grips (sorry). The P14-45 was the original lightweight frame and I went thru 3 or 4 sets of grips before I found the ones I liked. Actual width is no wider than my Colt's Commander, but is much blockier. A sample shooting at the range will probably not reveal if the grips fit your hand. The later frames aren't as wide, this pistol was in the PL1xxx range.

-- Chuck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts