1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my heart is now broken since I can't seem to find a single new Springfield PX9154L for sale on the planet. I talked to Springfield and they said it would probably at least the end of Feb before they made another batch. GRRRR.

So, I can't wait until who knows when. I found a S&W that I liked before I found this SA. But from what I have been seeing/reading and hearing, a great many of you guys that know what you're doing use the SA's. So I don't know if I should pick a different model of SA or go with this S&W.

I want a stainless gun. I also like stainless and black, it looks very nice to me. Now the S&W is stainless with black hardware, which looks pretty nice. I wish it was polished though. Otherwise, I will have to pick an SA model that is just stainless and put some black grips on it and thats as close as I'm gonna get (wish I could get black hardware/trim). But while I was writing this, I found the all black S&W at the bottom, I love it, if I can only find one.

So my question is, is the S&W as good of gun as the SA? I want honest opinions here and no flames. If there is some problem or one of these is missing something, I want to know.

What benefit/drawback is the external extractor of the S&W?

Is Scandium a durable alloy?

Is the Anodized Scandium a durable finish?

What about Melonite on a stainless slide?

Here are the three models I'm looking at right now. If you know of another SA model that is stainless (hopefully polished or black), 5" barrel with fixed novak carry sights, and hopefully around $800 (street price), suggest away.

Does S&W hide the little 'details' about their models on their website? Like what kinds of gunsmith love has gone into the specific models? How do I know if this model has a beveled magwell, or a lowered and flared ejection port, throat job, trigger job, etc.?

Springfield PX9151L

Pic:

S&W 108282

Pics:

I also REALLY like this S&W, but I can't find any 'street' price on it, haven't found it for sale anywhere, google brings up nothing:
S&W 108293

Pic:

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
The rail gun isn't supposed toc ome out until after the 1st of the year. It will be a scandium gun, from what I have heard. Everyone tells me the scandium frames are tougher than the standard aluminum frames, but I will not buy another alloy 1911 again.

The cheaper DK model has caught my eye. It sells for $899 in my area.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would and did buy the S&W 1911PD, except in blue. There are no problems with the external extractor on this gun, so says EVERYONE that owns one. The rest of my 1911s are internal extractor, but S&W got the external extractor right. I could not tell you about durability because I haven't had it long enough. But it appears to be a first rate 1911 for under $800 and the 10oz weight savings really makes it easier to carry.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ShipWreck said:
The rail gun isn't supposed toc ome out until after the 1st of the year.
Thats just fan-diddly-ass-tastic. Every one I really like is not available.

It will be a scandium gun, from what I have heard. Everyone tells me the scandium frames are tougher than the standard aluminum frames, but I will not buy another alloy 1911 again.
Hmmm, so the non-steel alloys aren't durable enough?

The cheaper DK model has caught my eye. It sells for $899 in my area.
Which model is that? Got a link?

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Well, here in the S&W forum, your responses will be stacked in favor or the S&W, but, IMO, it's an easy choice. Springfield Armory makes a truer 1911, with the proper internal extractor, and none of the firing pin safety nonsense. You seem to like the stainless guns, and they are pretty, but my choice would be the parkerized Loaded (PX9109L), because it comes with tritium night sights, and I love the finish.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you want a traditional 1911 go with the SA.

For the price go with the S&W.

Have shot both, family owns both. Could be an isolated incidence but the S&W ss just seems to be the better gun in just about every aspect. That and its all US steel. The SA frame we have was by imbel in Brazil.

I will say though, appearance wise, I prefer the traditional look of the SA.

Imho it all comes down to preference really.

As far as the alloy frames, again this is only from speaking with my father who is a machinist and engineer, the wear characteristics go like this. Carbon steel > scandium > stainless >> aluminum alloy

Again this is all personal experience, as to my knowledge there is no authoritative answer out yet on how scandium frames stack up.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
For a "first M1911" (there will be more!) I strongly endorse Seraph's recommendation of the Springfield Parkerized Loaded (PX9109L) model. It has all the bells and whistles folks seem to want (at first), yet remains a basic pistol with little real fluff. Take a 2 or 3 day course from a nationally recognized trainer using this pistol. You'll then know what you like and don't about the M1911 in general. Major benefit is standard parts availability and full size, all steel construction. The finish will get beat up during the course. You -- and your pistol -- will not only shoot well, you'l look the part when the course is over.

If you then think you need a lighterweight, slightly smaller pistol the S&W stainless-over-scandium framed 4-1/4" barrel pistol remains on my "wants" list -- just because! Trust me, I don't need another M1911 but this one may be the exception. Lightweight is always easier to carry.

Proprietary parts are unusual on the M1911 design. One of the great strengths of the system is everyone makes interchangeable parts and replacements are common across the zillion brand out there. External extractor on the S&W, however, remains proprietary and spares may be special order at your local gun shop. Same with the Para Ordnance PXT extractor. I've never needed a replacement, but I keep one on hand.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
49 Posts
i agree with seraph and chuck s.

i own a number of SA 5" and a champ and 2 compacts. also, a S&W blue 1911.

imho, first 1911 should be steel 5". ss is fine. i prefer the feel and look of parkerized guns.

nothing wrong with sa or s&w.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Springer or S&W? Both are making darn fine guns for the bucks. Now have four Springers and two S&W's. All are functioning 100% and shoot very well.

One of the Springer Loaded's (1911 9mm fixed sight model) went through a foul weather (just because it was outside and the weather really sucked) self defense course and outshot everything except a python and another all steel .45, which it matched.:) I would like to take my S&W PD through that class and see how it does with the lighter frame.

My 1st S&W was the SS model pictured above and my 2nd was a full sized blue PD with steel slide and scandium frame. Both are fine guns and very accurate.:cool: as are the Springers.

You will do fine with either choice.

Let us know which way it all goes and how it works out.

Be Safe, Shoot Well.:rock:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I came down to either a Springfield Parkerized Loaded or a SW1911PD for my next gun purchase. I almost ordered the Loaded until I realized how much I like the SW1911 I had previously and foolishly sold. I also feel that Springfields have a tendency to have minor problems out of the box, which may or may not require sending it back to Springfield. I didn't want to take the chance, since this is very annoying. The Springfield Loaded I had previously would fail to eject usually once every 100 rounds.

So, based on quality, I chose another SW1911 and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Also, another factor was that the Springfield comes with junk I don't want, like an ambi-safety and a full lenght guide rod. I have never dealt with a gun part more annoying than Springfield's full length guide rod.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
junior431:

I think Springer was given a divine mandate from upon high to teach 1911 shooters patience in the midst of massive frustration so they came up with the two piece FLGR. :scratch: :biglaugh: Something like Kimbers mandate to do the same with their External Extractor.......the one that S&W got right (guess S&W had a different mandate).

DISCLAIMER.....before I get flamed :mummy: ....I love my Springers, even those with the two piece FLGR and my Kimber Custom II.....which works 100% with the ext. extractor.....but of course that might be why I love it....it works.....no frustration factor.:cool:

My experince was close to yours also.

One of my NIB Springer Loaded's needed work right on the bat. The other was sent in because of something I did not like. Springer did do excellant work on both. The third, the TRP, was good to go out of box and is one really fine gun. The fourth (mil spec) was a used gun so don't know early history, but it was modded and tuned at some point.

Both S&W's have been 100% right out of the box and continue to do so.....and love that 1911PD....what a nice gun.

Be Safe, Shoot Well.:rock:

·
Registered
38 Posts
My first 1911 was a loaded Springer. I got bit by the bug and traded a Glock 21 for the SW1911. The Springer has a little better trigger in my opinion than the Smith, but the Smith has been a tad more reliable than the Springer and with the Smith magazines changes are easier because they don't hesitate going up the mag well like they do on the springer. I enjoy both of my 1911s very much, I think my Springer was like $50.00 less than the Smith. I had been shooting my Smith more lately because that was the one I got a Smith & alexander mag well on first, but that may be changing since my springer recently received the same modification.

I don't really believe that you could go wrong with either one, go fondle a couple and see what you like.

I've heard rumors that Smith & Wesson customer service is better than that of Springfield Armory, fortunately I haven't had to use either.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i believe someone posted they were having problems with a particular mag brand and the scandium frame, but i talked with S&W before buying my 1911PD and S&W service indicated they were not aware of any particular mag causing frame damage or any other issue related to mags and the scandium frames.

good luck and good shooting.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
The real problem was the Kimber alloy frame and their CMC factory mags with the leaf followers. The followers really chewed up the frame ramps. Just like the external extractor stigma from Kimber being applied to the S&Ws, they also apply the Kimber alloy frame stigma to the S&Ws. Face it, S&W got it right from the get-go.

I like my Kimber, but I love my S&W 1911SC.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.