1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, guys new here. i was just wondering what people thought of the pro.

basically i can get a good price on a never shot but owned one. i know pretty much everything about it. (all the criteria on getting the F.B.I contract.)

i just wanted to know if it shoots as sweet as they say it is.....

oh , and any major dislikes...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think the Pro is the best off-the-rack "semi-custom" 1911 that money can buy. It has just about all the features I'd want on a true custom piece, and it doesn't cut any corners.

Not much to say in the "dislikes" department, except the 20LPI front strap checkering, which is a little sharp to my hands.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
crodbum,

Welcome to the Forum! If you know all of the criteria for the RFP, then you already know how accurate it is, right? In the searches I performed, there were no common dislikes. The pistols specs are well laid out, though, so I highly doubt that consumers jumped in without knowing what to expect.

Damian

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Mine is everything it was hyped to be. I would take it over most any other high end semi-custom out there. And I actually prefer the 20LPI checkering. If you're looking for a gun with the features that the Pro has, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I liked mine well enough to buy a second one. (two is one and one is none).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
harry dog... cool :)

yeah, i am pretty much in love with this thing... lol. i like to shoot . plan on getting a loader and all that fun stuff in the next year or so. i have other guns but not a 1911. i guess one of the bigger quarels for me is to shoot it or not? of course i want to shoot it badly. but will this thing be worth some major money in say 20yrs.? im pretty young, but its a toss up, you only live once , so ill prob. shoot it...

oh yeah, it is a low number... somewhere in the 300 range.. does that make a differance??
'
only a 5,000 limtd run right??

·
Registered
893 Posts
If you want to buy one as an "investment" you may wish to think carefully.

Guns usually depreciate considerably as soon as you leave the dealer. Of course when classes of gun are outlawed they seem to acquire some extra cachet- check out the price of preban M4's to see an example of how a $600.00 gun can be worth $2600.00... this seems unlikely to happen with 1911's since they don't have bayonet mounts and flash hiders as a rule...

The Pro model is NOT a pretty "safe queen" type of gun, it is a hard use tool and it is built that way for a purpose. It is built to be used. My attitude is that I might get hit by a falling meteor sometime soon, so I may as well use it...

Since collectors decide on the value of things partly based on their taste and whiums of the time, there's no telling what your Pro would be worth in 20 years if kept unshot.

I also don't know if the serial number will matter or not, but I can tell you that no more than 2500 of these pistols have been built so far, based on the serial number of my second pistol which was built last month and has a serial number of 20XX.

In fact there are about 290 numbers between my first one and my second, and since the first was built in November of 2002, one might make the assumption that the production rate is around 300 per year or so.

Of course we all know how smart it isn't, to assume...

:p :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I love mine. I can't think of anything to bitch about. The saftey's a little stiff, that's about all I can come up with. I just put a couple of hundred rounds through it this morning. Had to get one last session in this year. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
archer,, ya, i totally agree with you. also,guns to me are like tools. i will never sell them. their is no need to. unless you win some in ppc competition and dont like em or something like that. in my opinion if someone has to sell a gun just so theycan buy another one you cant afford it......

yeah, the prod. number seems about right... 6 a week ... 50 weeks. =300 guns a year.(2 weeks for holidays,downtime ect.)

not to be nosey, but why did you buy 2??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Although I don't own one, I've shot one before and it was far and away the sweetest 1911 I've ever touched. One thing, though, it's not a "semi-custom" gun like someone else said. Sure, it has a specific set of features, but each one is made completely by hand in Springfield's custom shop. Hence the price tag and the fact that so few are made.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Not a nosy question at all.

Just a small idiosyncracy on my part.

I have several 1911 pistols, all of which work well, but this is the one that I seem to shoot best.

The attitude that "two is one and one is none" is a philosophy which has served me well in many situations.

For instance, if a pistol goes down in the middle of a match, or even during a week at a place like Gunsite where repair service is both easily available and fast, it is still a nice "luxury" to simply pull an identical pistol from the bag and go on. Though this has not been necessary yet, I enjoy being prepared.

Besides, I got a killer deal on the second one :)

(regarding the production rate, I was given to understand that thay are built in batches, every 90 days or so.)

·
Registered
497 Posts
i never handled a pro but it is my "dream gun". i own a couple springfields and would love the third to be a professional. i go to springfields website to drool over it several times a week, but two grand? it's gonna be awhile.....:biglaugh:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
archer.... yeah, it makes sense.....

hell, now you can be a pimp daddy with a mitch rosen shoulder holster with a pro on each side....lol.

oh, yeah, you gotta have a mitch rosen or knull holster for that thing.....

(ive got a rosen..beautifull)

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
crodbum said:
Because he can.

Personally Im jealous.

Those Pros sure do sound nice.

:)

Archer... would you mind sharing the price somone should expect to pay for one? I aspire to own one (or two!) some day.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Mus said:
... would you mind sharing the price somone should expect to pay for one? I aspire to own one (or two!) some day.
When I bought mine earlier this year you could find the occasional new one for around $2000-2100 and the very occasional used one for $1800-1900.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Archer... would you mind sharing the price somone should expect to pay for one? I aspire to own one (or two!) some day.

I bought my first one from an excellent dealer in my region in 2002, for what I thought was a fair street retail price of about $2100 (plus tax). Prices might be climbing a bit. I have seen prices (on net sales sites) as high as just below $2400 while, last year, I had heard two separate stories of people getting them for just over $2000.

It seems to me that anything between $2100 and $2300 is a decent price, depending upon your local market and the level of service you can expect from your dealer. I am afraid that the demand for these seems to be high enough that the wiggle room on prices isn't what it can be on other pistols.

Crodbum,
I'm pretty happy with my Alessi rigs for these pistolas.:cool:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Farnsworth,

If you tally up all of the features individually, and then do the math (look at a price list from any of the better pistolsmiths), you will realize something important: The SA Pro model is a full custom pistol which is actually less expensive than a custom built with the same parts and features from most other noted custom shops.

However, unlike a custom pistol from any other maker, if there is a more tested, effective and more proven 1911 carry pistol I have yet to hear about it. The FBI CIRG's rigorous requirements make this item capable of withstanding far more than what I might do to it, which only instills additional confidence.

It has a lifetime warranty from a custom shop that is second to none. It also can sometimes be found without waiting for the many months a custom house order would normally take (though my second pistol was ordered in February 2003 and was finally delivered in November, due to the FBI taking two complete batches in between).

Of course this pistol isn't for everyone. But if the feature set fits your needs (and it happens to fit mine very closely, or I would indeed have obtained another custom option pistol) then it only makes sense.

Don't like 20 LPI checkering due to delicate skin ? Prefer Heinies or adjustable rears over Novaks ? Like stainless or chrome instead of Black-T ? Want a fiber optic front sight or a Kart barrel instead of a Nowlin ? Then that would be the time to look at alternatives.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts