1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a few weeks ago I bought a non railed pro Fresh fron Springfield shop but have not shot it yet. I think it is a beautiful gun but I must admit I like railed guns. I have a TRP that is railed.
so I don't want to turn this into a debate about what you will use it for but rather just peoples honest opinon of aesthetic's and which may be more sought after. Yes they are both awsome.
Back to the story of why I am now asking this, my dealer just today got in a railed version and I know he would switch me out if I wanted but CAN'T decied what to do and I'm sure it won't sit there for but a day or maybe 2.
your thought's ?

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
I like them both, but in a pinch prefer railed. However, I suspect that many owners are owners because it is the civilian version of the FBI gun and the rail may hurt that if you were to decide to ever sell.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I don't know which is more sought after, but if you really like rails, and he'll switch you out, then by all means, get it while you can. I have railed 1911s, and while I've never used the rails for anything, I do like how they feel with a little bit more weight up front. It's all subjective, of course. I guess the utopian answer is 'get both', but alas, we live in the real world.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If you prefer the railed version, get the railed version. I'll probably never own a railed 1911, but if that's what you like go for it.

...peoples honest opinon of aesthetic's and which may be more sought after.
I'm sure there is somebody that thinks a 1911 looks better with a rail on it, and finger groove grips belong on a 1911, but I suspect the vast majority of 1911 owners would prefer a 1911 with no rail. That doesn't mean that there may be somebody that prefers a railed Pro somewhere. For instance, you maybe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even though I kinda want the tailed leaning towards keeping my non. I have a Nighthawk tailed and a few Wilson's with out so I guess I have a spread.
I would be courios if age also plays any part in people's rhoughts. I'm guessing the older crowd would go with non and younger with just a hunch 😎 I'm 40.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I have both and prefer the railed Pro. The little extra weight up front is nice when shooting. I like the look of the rail better too.

I just ordered a custom holster for it from Savoy: http://www.savoyleather.com/savoy-leather-on-the-waistband/ and love the fit and finish. It was hard finding a good holster but I couldn't be happier.

·
Banned
608 Posts
I'm sure there is somebody that thinks a 1911 looks better with a rail on it, and finger groove grips belong on a 1911, but I suspect the vast majority of 1911 owners would prefer a 1911 with no rail. That doesn't mean that there may be somebody that prefers a railed Pro somewhere. For instance, you maybe.
If I showed you a picture of my railed 1911 with finger grooves would your head explode? :p

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If I showed you a picture of my railed 1911 with finger grooves would your head explode? :p
Does it also have a bobtail and an adjustable rear sight? Hitting for the "what doesn't belong on a 1911 cycle".:) Of course everybody can get what they want since we have two to three dozen 1911 makers. Everybody can be happy.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I'm guessing the older crowd would go with non and younger with just a hunch 😎 I'm 40.
I think you're probably right. However, I would have guessed the "pro-rail" crowd would be younger than you. I suspect you may be right at the border. Of course, at 40, chances are good your entire shooting life has been in the "Glock era", where rails and finger grooves have been a common thing.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO8217 View Post
I'm guessing the older crowd would go with non and younger with just a hunch �� I'm 40.

I think you're probably right. However, I would have guessed the "pro-rail" crowd would be younger than you. I suspect you may be right at the border. Of course, at 40, chances are good your entire shooting life has been in the "Glock era", where rails and finger grooves have been a common thing.
At 68, I prefer the railed 5". Have 2 WC 5" with rails and sold a Springfield Professional with rail to a police officer who just had to have it.

A 1911 Purist will not like rails. Their loss. Just like they don't like bobtails. As other stated the weight up front makes them feel right.

·
Registered
335 Posts
50, always loved the railed look. For me, the Pro Operator was the perfect gun because it had the half rail, no FCS, fixed sights, and SACS :rock:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes sir, you would be correct ! 17 years in Law Enforcement. For the first 5 years I carried a SW 4586 boat anchor hahaha. Then we switched to Glocks after that and since. Currently a Glock 22 gen 4.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Yes sir, you would be correct ! 17 years in Law Enforcement. For the first 5 years I carried a SW 4586 boat anchor hahaha. Then we switched to Glocks after that and since. Currently a Glock 22 gen 4.
The law enforcement thing is probably another "pro-rail" point. You guys probably work with mounted lights all the time, and are trained to use them too, since you are actively looking for trouble. On the other hand, a concealed carrier would most likely have less need for one. I'm also not clearing any buildings and know the layout of my own house, and where the light switches are.

I've posted this from Tucker Gun Leather a few times in the past couple of weeks…

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/faq/

Q. Does Tucker recommend carrying a defensive pistol with a light attached to an accessory rail?

A. Tucker says, "If you're on a SWAT team, go for it. If not, your pistol is a quick-response tool for a sudden and extreme self-defense situation. If you have a light on the gun, you may find it distracting enough to slow down your response." (YMMV-Have your pistol your way.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The law enforcement thing is probably another "pro-rail" point. You guys probably work with mounted lights all the time, and are trained to use them too, since you are actively looking for trouble. On the other hand, a concealed carrier would most likely have less need for one. I'm also not clearing any buildings and know the layout of my own house, and where the light switches are.

I've posted this from Tucker Gun Leather a few times in the past couple of weeks…

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/faq/
I would agree with what you said and if I were going to be carrying this for duty I would really want the rail.
But for this case it's just a keep sake piece for me and was just wondering what people think astheticaly ( with or with out) the rail?
For on duty and as an operator on a SWAT team you just can't beat the Glock 22 gen 4 with a tlr2 light. Plus much better round capacity.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Do you like the classic look without the rail , Elliot Ness , FBI , G-man , style .
OR
Operator , Swat , tactical , Tac-light , Night / low light use , Railed operator .

Only you can choose . I'd get both . That way its a non-issue .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you like the classic look without the rail , Elliot Ness , FBI , G-man , style .
OR
Operator , Swat , tactical , Tac-light , Night / low light use , Railed operator .

Only you can choose . I'd get both . That way its a non-issue .
Wish I could have them both but the wife is not having it so I'm still leaning towards just keeping my non railed classic looking one. It's sexy and I have 4 other railed 1911's 4 non so I'm thinking I'll just sit tight. Funny I have to go by my legs tomorrow and I'm hoping it will have already have sold. This is a stupid reason to lose sleep over :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I would want the light rail version since I do use the rail to mount weapon lights. However, if I came across a non railed pro I wouldn't pass it up.

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
Railed...I like the weight just out front as some of the other do.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Why limit your options. Get one of each... I have 10 of them, 6 PC9111 and 4 PC9111LR's. What is your purpose of the gun? Nightstand gun always with a light? CCW gun?

I prefer the non-railed version. More holster options, less bulk, less weight, less drag on the draw, etc... Combined with a small pocket flashlight and training with the varied handgun flashlight techniques, a rail is unnecessary.

If you are an contractor, Operator or it's a LE duty gun, rail is a requirement. Putting a flashlight on a gun and learning to use it is a high level skill, which takes lots of training and practice.

My last two PC9111's will be here the end of next month after 31 months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why limit your options. Get one of each... I have 10 of them, 6 PC9111 and 4 PC9111LR's. What is your purpose of the gun? Nightstand gun always with a light? CCW gun? If you are an Operator or it's a duty gun, rail is a requirement.

I prefer the non-railed version. More holster options, less bulk, less weight, less drag on the draw, etc...

My last two PC9111's will be here the end of next month after 31 months.

OH YEAH your the man ! I'd have to give up to many of my others to pull this hat trick.
Answer to your Question is, it's just going to be a occasional range toy and a keep sake piece to pass on one day. I just purchased a Nighthawk a few weeks ago that was 3,700 so if I went to the wife now and said Honey I need to spend 2,700 more on another Springfield Pro like the one I have but it has a rail, I think she would attach that rail to my forehead :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts