1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying this model tomorrow, anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of this model?

·
Registered
159 Posts
My thoughts aren't worth much as it is the only 1911 I own and I just bought it this week.

Only thing I don't care for so far is the ambi safety. I'd rather have a non-ambi extended.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Black Bear said:
Only thing I don't care for so far is the ambi safety. I'd rather have a non-ambi extended.
Good to see right handed people having to go through the PITA to install the safety they want for a change.

Im glad theres a manufacturer that makes a plain jane model with an ambi safety.

:p

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have one, great gun, if possible find one with the NM prefix in the serial number ( slide and frame machined in U.S.).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all

thanks for the info guys, especially you jmurphy, i will look at the serial number for sure.

I'm going to go and make the purchase tomorrow....and I'll be shooting in 10 days. I hate the california laws

·
Registered
949 Posts
falable762 said:
I'm with you Mus. Good to see mighty righty jump through some hoops once in a while. ;)
:biglaugh:

Damn ambi safety :grumble:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same model also. I don't mind the ambi-safety. In fact for a home protection gun I prefer it since it makes the gun more "user friendly" if I need my right hand to dial 911 or whatever.

If I used the gun as a carry gun, then I might consider switching to a non ambi if I found it got in the way of holstering, or anything at all, but that is an easy change.

As for the gun itself, I am pretty sure they ALL have an NM prefix, since the guns are all hand assembled in the US. When you field strip the gun you will see that the pieces are marked so as to be specific to that gun. The fit of my gun is superb.

The gun is incredibly accurate. I bought the $29 coupon adjustable sight and that made me more accurate, but the gun itself was just fine with the fixed Novak sight (I may switch back).

I have probably 2500-3000 rounds through my 9151 and not one single hiccup of any kind. I have (and carry) an XD9 Subcompact which is also extremely reliable, but I have had two or three stovepipes with the XD (probably due to cheap practice ammo), but not one single stoppage with the 9151 using all kinds of ammo.

The gun is also an extremely comfortable gun to shoot. It has almost no muzzle flip at all. And the recoil is a pretty gentle push...the gun is a bit heavy and I guess that tames the recoil.

Others have complained about the FLGR coming loose, but I have found that if the threads are perfectly clean and dry (I use ProShot's Lead Free cloth which is just great for cleaning a stainless gun....gets all the residue off the muzzle and guide rod far more easily than using standard cleaners like CLP) the thing never loosens up...at least not between cleanings. I do clean the gun after each trip to the range. But I have also shot as many as 250 rounds at one time and never had any problem with the guide rod coming loose..at least not after I learned to keep those threads clean. Before that it did get a bit loose, but never came out. I now know that was caused by my fingers getting minute traces of gun oil on the threads. It takes being conscious of keeping the threads perfectly dry and clean. If you do, it will stay good and tight once you re-assemble the gun.

All in all, it is my favorite gun to shoot. And it is very nearly as accurate as my .22 target gun with a red dot sight (Ruger with 7 inch bull barrel). From a ransom rest I would not be surprised if it was just as accurate or even more accurate (the .22 is just easier to shoot for pretty much anyone).

No matter what it is a very safe bet the gun will be more accurate than anyone who shoots it.

From a rest (not a good one) I have been able to put 5 rounds into one ragged hole at 50 feet (I use only 5 rounds so I can be more sure of where my bullets go...I do this to zero the adjustable sights).

I am sure you will be very happy with your purchase. Congrats!!!!!

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Delija

Delija,

Although i have already plunked down the money your post maked me confident i have made the right choice.

When in the store i examined many 1911's Kimber, Colt and Para all seemed like great guns but the loaded SA in stainless just felt the best in my hand ( most likely because of the extra weight) and the biggest bang for the buck.

This is my first 1911 but i have put 100's of rounds through a few different series 70 colts and a Para LDA that belong to friends. The SA just seemed like the gun for me.

In 10 days when i pick it up from the dealer, i'll let you know what I think when i get home from the local range.

Thanks guys.

BTW, your cleaning tips are great, keep em coming

·
Registered
159 Posts
Went and shot my first 100 rounds out of mine today. Absolutely zero malfunctions. Worked like a charm, shot nice, and I had an absolute blast.

:rock:

Edited 'cause me no spel so gud...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Park'd model

I purchased the ful size parkerized model ove rthe weekend. Not one malfauction in the 120 rounds or so I put through it.

The only gripes I have are te fact that the ambi safety on mine is a bit sharp along the edges--no huge thing. But the one thing that does bother me a bit is the fit of the grip safety. Do any of you guys have any side-to-side play in your BT grip safety? Mine has a fair bit of play. When the ahmmer is forward, it also seems to catch on something if pushed in and to the right. perhaps the hammer strut? When the hammer is back, it's fine though-- just that play.

Mine also seems to be shooting about 3.5 inches low at 15 yerd or so.

Weird. Don't really want to send it back to SA, but may have to.

C

·
Registered
82 Posts
cjochetz said:
Do any of you guys have any side-to-side play in your BT grip safety? Mine has a fair bit of play.
My BT grip safety has a bit of play in it and after 600 or so rounds it is showing a fair bit of wear on the grip safety. (Mine is parked too) I just took it as a given but if this is a bad thing, I'd really like to know. I don't see how any BT could NOT have a small amount of play but I'm still very much a noob. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
My Mil Spec's beavertail is custom fit, very well, and it has a little bit of play. I wouldn't be too concerned about it if I were you, but only you know how much play yours has.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
one week to go!

I;ll be picking my baby up in one week from today. I can't wait...Damn california waiting period laws.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts