1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very dissapointed with the quality of TWO Springfield loaded 1911A1 that I purchased in September (one for me and one for my best friend). Over the first two hundred rounds in each firearm, one shot 12 inches low and two inches left - point of aim. The other (mine) shot 10 inches low and one inch left - again point of aim. I contacted Springfield, and bottom line, they did not believe me. They suggested to keep shooting and find someone with match experience to have shoot the guns. After having fired approximately 500 rounds thru each by us AND two experienced match shooters - the results were essentially the same (both 10 inches low and 1 inch left). This was at a distance of 7-15 yards and using a bench rest! I really did not want to send to Springfield for a couple of months and asked if they would exchange the front (night) sight for a shorter one. They said NO! I asked what the turn around time was and they said 8-10 weeks. I suggested that maybe since mine were returns under warranty, they could put them on a priority. They said they were "SWAMPED" with returns and my guns would be evaluated when my time came! Unfortunately also is that I had my friends 1911 engraved. Bottom line, If Springfield is swamped with returns, buyer beware - their quality control is non-existent! I'm wondering if these guns are even fixable or should I just cash out and go to a quality manufacturer? If the firearms are of that poor quality, is there any reason to feel that the same company can fix them, or is it just a crap shoot hoping that the next two out of the bottom of the barrel will be better shooters!
I know I'm going to upset some of you Springfield lovers by my comments, but place yourself in my shoes, what you think is a great gift to a friend, is at best a good paper weight.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not upset at all here

I tend to wonder how they could be that far off. It would be rare to have one but to have both shooting same place seems like a shooter problem.. I am not trying to piss you off .. That seems the most logical reason BOTH would shoot the same place.. even from the bench rest..

Also, who have you talked to at SA? Many times Deb has read these forms and offered help as has Liza.. both from customer service. Also, should they need to go into Sa they (SA) picks up the overnight shipping in BOTH direction..

If you have not you may want to have someone as they suggested that shoots match or just shoots 1911's a lot and see if they can confirm you results... If they do confirm your results then I wouold think SA would tend to believe the original results

This is just my opinion but the ones I have and the ones I have shot have never shot that low... or even close to it

Good luck... post your results..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had trouble with a 1911 MilSpec extractor and instead of taking the right part putting it into a box and shipping it to me they turned it into a ordeal.

I would not be surprised if they went bankraupt,again.Both their customer service and service departments lack professionalism .

Do what I do,if someone ask what 1911 to get tell them what brand not to waste their money on.

CWatson

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have two individuals who claim to be match shooters from my gun club shoot. They combined have 40 years experience shooting the 1911A!. I forgot to mention, both guns shot consistent groups of about 2 inches at 10 yards - just low and left. No offense taken as I give firearms training classes and know how shooters can screw up and swear they are executing proper hold, breath, and trigger control! I also screw up occasionally and throw one off. Both of these guns are consistent at grouping (very acceptable in that regard) - they just don't hit where you aim. I just got a little (OK a lot) concerned when they said they were SWAMPED with returns! Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
169 Posts
CWatson

you may be right but the thing I thing is funny .. when I was trying to decide whcih 1911 to start with I read the forum and found that when you do a search that each and everyone of the makes.. be it Kimber, SA of the expensive guys..) everyone has those type of comments

sad to say I really do not thinig any one manfacturer if the king bee.. zero problems etc.. we also each seem to have different experiences with the customer service of each.. again does not matter at all .. look thru each forum section .. they all have problems.... in quality and customer service.

My experience with SA was more then perfect...I had hard spots on the slide.. they paid overnight to them and back I had it back in I thik it was 5 or 6 work days..

On my Kimber I have an external extractor.. like an idiot I removed the firing pin stop and launched my small extractor parts accross my room.. Call Dennis at Kimber... told him what happened asked for the replacement parts that I lost.. he dropped them an d a spare spring in an envelope and mailed it too me.. I emailed him and asked him for what I owed Kimber.. he said the parts were listed at $1,000,000 total but he would discount them to me at a $1,000.000 discount.. another words it was totally free even the postage.. I have them and never lost a shooting weekend//..

I know it is not directly related but thought maybe if we all see that every gun manfufactuer has proved it sometimes is a crap shoot.. but two?? at same time..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Man, I feel for you, although I havent had any problems with my Springfield, I know it sucks to have bought a gun that wont shoot. I had heard rumors about Springfield but my $400 Mil Spec has performed as flawlessly as my Series 1 Kimber.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i have had nothing but good results with springfield customer serv so far. i boogered up a grip screw bushing and they sent me 4 new ones at no charge. i was gonna pay for them and she said to forget it. that was after my second springfield purchase. maybe they take that into account when they punch your name into the computer and see multiple purchases. both my springers are dead on the bullseye when i do my part.

sorry to hear about your experiences jerry...

i do try to be very polite and pleasant, even when angry, with any customer service person with any company. they aren't to blame and sometimes have the power to do, or don't do for you. and then again even politeness sometimes doesn't work.

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
Jerry

Welcome to the forum ! Many questions and issues have been resolved here . Some have not .

Forgive me if I'm being too nosey , but what was the reason for your post ?

You don't seem to be asking advice or stating how the issue was resolved . Fixed guns , sold guns , traded guns , threw guns in the river ? You bought the guns 4-5 months ago . Any issues should have been resolved by now .
Back on 9/28/03 in this forum , you described your problem with point of impact .
We are naturally curious how it was resolved as you seem unwilling , based on your story , to let SA look at the guns ?

If you read here long enough , you'll see members with problem Springfields . Most issues were resolved satisfactorily . Some members were not satisfied . Stuff happens . For the most part , you'll see how satisfied members are with the treatment they received from SA service .

Your post just seems to be aimed at the Springfield lovers you mention . Trying to draw fire ?

Please reread your post . If your post is sincere , I think you'll see our concern .
We do think you're sincere by the way .

How can we help ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Dear Mr. Exalted Moderator:

I have reread my post and suggest you do the same.
Of those who have responded to my post, only yours has a feeling of hostility. I sincerely apologize for having offended you and your prestigious office.

I will herein attempt to explain my post which seems to have been fully understandable to those others that have replied.

1. Reason for post: To advise the Springfield owners that Springfield may have a quality control problem (hopefully a short term one) based on THEIR comment that they were "swamped" by returns.
As posed by the questions in my post, I asked if the firearms were even fixable or should I go to another manufacturer to find a quality 1911?

You state that "you don't seem to be asking for advice or stating how the issue was resolved". That is precisely the point - the issue has not been resolved! My initial comments were greeted by Springfield by a request to keep shooting and see if that helps. They also suggested that I find someone with more experience (40 years of shooting handguns) to verify the results.
The latter is a fine suggestion and has been followed precisely.
I would be estatic if the "issues" would have been resolved by now. You seem to suggest that I'm intentionally keeping this issue alive just to have something to complain about. Just like everyone else on this forum, I only want to be able to go out and have fun shooting!
As to your suggestion that I was "unwilling --- to let SA look at the guns", this was their call, not mine. Now they are willing to look at the guns!
As to your comment that my "post seems to be aimed at the Springfield lovers", I AM A SPRINGFIELD LOVER that is dissappointed over their current problems. To the women and men who post on this forum - YOU ARE GREAT and I have acquired and incredible amount of information from your experience. If anyone else was offended by my post, PLEASE accept my most profound apologies (I only hope you can read this before the moderator banishes me from the forum)!
Again to the moderator - your comment "trying to draw fire" was seemingly only taken that way by YOU! If any comment was intended to "draw fire" - it was yours!
As far as SA is concerned, the customer service personnel I have talked to have been very polite and professional. They don't make the rules, they just have to follow them as terms of their employment. Deb, in the custom shop, in particular, has always been extremely pleasant.
It was nice meeting you all and again thanks for your many constructive pieces of information give to my and others posts. See you on the other forums (unless this moderator is big enough of a person to admit he jumped the gun).

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
jerry45 said:
My Dear Mr. Exalted Moderator:

I have reread my post and suggest you do the same.
Of those who have responded to my post, only yours has a feeling of hostility. I sincerely apologize for having offended you and your prestigious office.
No your not sorry, you are instead very sarcastic. I won't have you insulting other moderators who volunteer their time and efforts to keep this place civil and credible. You do not.

jerry45 said:
1. Reason for post: To advise the Springfield owners that Springfield may have a quality control problem (hopefully a short term one) based on THEIR comment that they were "swamped" by returns. As posed by the questions in my post, I asked if the firearms were even fixable or should I go to another manufacturer to find a quality 1911?
Please. Fixable? IF you know anything about guns, you know its fixable.

jerry45 said:
(I only hope you can read this before the moderator banishes me from the forum)!.... See you on the other forums (unless this moderator is big enough of a person to admit he jumped the gun).
He may be, but I am not. I won't tolerate rude sarcastic behaviour to one of my fellow moderators. From anyone...much less a troller that has only 8 posts to his name.

jerry45 said:
As far as SA is concerned, the customer service personnel I have talked to have been very polite and professional. They don't make the rules, they just have to follow them as terms of their employment. Deb, in the custom shop, in particular, has always been extremely pleasant.
You should take a lesson.

ADIOS.

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
Jerry
I gave you my best shot . Rather than use the rope I tossed you to pull yourself up with , you used it to hang yourself . You confirmed my suspicions by your unprofessional behavior/response .

The members at the 1911 forum know I let things pretty much run themselves here at SA . We have a well behaved adult membership .

Thank you .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.