1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Springfield rebuilt my gun, what else to be done while it's there?

About a year ago, I bought a NM Loaded Parked 1911. It started out very tight but with a somewhat rough action that I figured would smooth out. After a few hundred rounds it did smooth out but became sloppy loose in both barrel to slide and slide to frame fit and the accuracy wasn't where it should have been. Having said that the trigger was very good and there was never a malfunction (unless it was fired sans magazine). I figured there must have been burs or high points that must have worn away exposing the poor fitting.

I want to point out that I have owned/still own other Springfield 1911's that have been great (like my RO) so I'm not at all bashing Springfield, it's a production machine, every once in a while you get one from the low side. I called them with my concerns and they were very responsive and quickly had a shipping label to my email. A month later I got a call from them advising that they had replaced the slide/barrel/bushing, basically the top half of the gun. I am very happy with their service, the reason I always but confidently from SA is because if I get one of the few lemons, I know they'll take care of me.

As the gun is already there I asked them to send it to the custom shop for an Armory Kote refinish. Now I'm thinking of maybe adding a one piece S&A magwell as well. I have also been kicking around having them fit a barrel bushing since it's only $60 but at the same time since they just replaced that part I have a feeling they made sure it has a decent bushing fit so do you guys think it'd be worth it to have them hand fit one?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not really. If I know Springfield like I do, they have already done that for you. They have a tendency to go above and beyond,in most regards, to what the customer expects from them. Personally, I would not worry about it and have them ad the mag well for you. I would bet that when you do get the gun back, it will be more than you expected.

Good Luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would think that since they took the time to replace the top half, they also took the time to fit the bushing correctly. They are a top notch company, as I have sent a operator in recently to have some work done, while there they fitted a match bushing to the gun on their dime. One of the best companies to deal with.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I had them put a GI guide rod in my TRP when it was in for a defective brass explosion, locked up whole gun they only charged me for the rod.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I would think that since they took the time to replace the top half, they also took the time to fit the bushing correctly. They are a top notch company, as I have sent a operator in recently to have some work done, while there they fitted a match bushing to the gun on their dime. One of the best companies to deal with.
^^^This...if they are replacing the slide, barrel and bushing, it's all fitted. The magwell is a personal preference thing, and the Armory Kote is good if the finish on yours is worn.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have them fit the magwell. You could always put one on later but then it wouldn't be fitted and it won't have the AK. Have them coat your old MSH as well so if you decide down the road that you don't want the S&A, you can always go back.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Do you guys know if they keep a stock if 10-8 rear sights? I wouldn't know what size to order since I don't know what size the front sight is. I'm hoping the Custom Shop can match up the correct heights.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
There are two options for Magwell. SACS will bevel smooth and trim MAGWELL which is the frame portion of your pistol, OR you can have
a MAGWELL GUIDE added, and that additional part may be blended and fitted.
Make sure you specify custom work on Magwell, or if you desire, a Magwell GUIDE added to mainspring housing.
I prefer having pistols Magwell tuned and blended, and NOT adding a magwell guide.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had them add a one piece magwell to match frame with concealment bevel. Liked it so much had them do another pistol as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts