1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Springfield has sent me a completely new Stainless Loaded as a replacement for the one whose slide had broken in two see Something I'd thought I'd never see...

There are a couple of differences on this pistol as compared to the one they replaced. The main spring housing is not checkered, only serated. The barrel looks like black painted stainless, rather than completely unpainted stainless. The black paint is already coming off is most places just through racking the slide. The slide was extremely difficult to remove from the frame, and the inside of the frame and slide were very rough from machine marks -- much worse than my other Springfield. The bottom of the barrel has been cut down too much in the process of throating it and leaves too much of the cartridge exposed when chambered. It is definately out of spec on this area according to the Kuhnhausen books.

Most things are the same, both good and bad. The front sight is still way too tall to shoot to point of aim. The barrel lock up isn't as tight as I'd like. The MIM sear is pretty rough, contributing to a gritty and very heavy for a 1911 trigger pull. Note, that this is before I've broken the pistol in, but I still expect a decent trigger out of the box.

I'm taking it to the range this afternoon to see how it shoots. I expect it will be a good shooter after I replace the sear/disconnector/hammer group with a tool steel matched set, replace the barrel and front sights, and probably replace the two-piece guide rod.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd send this one back too! You shouldn't have to replace all that on a new pistol, especially after what you went through on your other new Springfield

------------------
If it wasn't for the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, in a perfect world, companies would care a little more about quality assurance, and I wouldn't have to replace the pieces that are out of spec. Half of me wants to leave it as is and build a good shooter by installing a couple of new parts and half of me wants to call Springfield again and wait another month to see what they send back. I've not decided what I'll do yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Having had problems a while back with my SA1911-A1 Loaded, I know your feelings! The best thing is send it back with a letter describing what you have posted. This is a little more than just replacing or fixing a few small parts. Unfortunately I'm always the guy that buys something brand new and it breaks! I have yet to fall into the group that says "yea! it's great! never had a problem! I think that SA should be advised to check out the postings on this forum! They might realize that their QC sucks!

Good Luck

·
Registered
703 Posts
Keep sending it back until they get it right. You might want to send a copy of your post and replies here so they can see that others know of your/their problems besides you.

------------------
If it wasn't for the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Welcome to the forum guys...Contact Dave Williams...I'm sure he's already seen your pistol. Just get in touch with him and tell him your concerns, he'll fix you right up. In fact, this didn't just start. I've been hangin around for almost 2000 posts and this sort of stuff has gone on with all the makers and their customers for one thing or another for as long as I've been around here. If you want to know how long things have REALLY been goin' on, contact George and he'll shoot ya' straight on anything you want. Have fun and welcome to the forum...

[email protected]

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts