1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange tale I'd like to share. I recently had my Champion in to Geneseo for a minor problem. I decided to have the custom shop put in nite sights while it was there.

When I got the pistol back, I noticed that there was no nice white outline on the front site for daytime shooting. I called Springfield and spoke to Dave Williams, and he told me to send back the slide to be fixed. No problem.

A week later they said the slide would be sent back untouched, because there was nothing that could be done about it, and that's just the was they did their sites.

Talk about dissapointed! At first I thought I was getting the run-around, and that they just didn't want to deal with it, so I called Trijicon. Their customer service told me that the parts they got from Springfield didn't have a counter bore hole to allow for the white paint that you usually see around the tritium capsules.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if the new Loaded models come like this.

Trijicon did give me the name of their custom shop if I wanted to have this changed out.

Tim

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Strange that you should mention this. I noticed this a week ago but thought it was just a fluke. I have a TRP and two parkerized 2001 loadeds w/night sights. All three have the white outline around the insert. My dealer received a lightweight 2001 loaded Compact with night sights last week, and he knew that I would be interested in it. I went to look at it, and one of the first things I noticed was that there were no white outlines around the inserts. Now this is no big deal until you get older, then you need all the help you can get. Holding the Compact up against another new Springfield he had, both with dovetailed night sights, it was obvious that the white outline gave a much better sight picture. So I'm not sure what to think of this situation because obviously they are putting them out both ways.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Isn't the white outline the major advantage of Meprolight Sights? Seems like I made the decision to add them to a pistol several years ago just for that reason (as opposed to Trijicon). I will be picking up a TRP in several weeks that has Novaks, but they aren't nite sites, which I will want to add. I was thinking of Meprolights, but today I talked to a gunsmith who told me I could call IWI (Innovative Weaponry) in Ft Worth, and that they could drill the exisiting Novaks and add the tritium inserts at a fraction of the cost. But alas, I too am afflicted with middle aged eyes and am wondering if I may not just be better off with the Meprolights, or Ashley Outdoors Big Dots. geegee

·
Registered
86 Posts
this is very strange that some do and some don't. my new 2001 fullsize parkerized loaded model has the nite-sights and they do have the white outline. i won't have any combat sights without white reference marks, beit lines or dots. now, if the damn thing will just run when it comes back from the warranty dept. (for the second time), i will be very happy with the pistol.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The P-T trintium sights I put on my Kimber have a nice white outline and even if they didn't the tritium really has a nice white color in the daytime to them, what is really awfull is that my 2000 Champion with the factory Novak sights don't have any marking on them at all, at my age and with my eyes, It's almost impossible for me to see the front sight at the range, on the black of the target. I have to point to the manila color of the target then try and pull back to the black of the target without......well you get the picture. Even a little dab of white paint would be better then the way it is. I love my Champion but think Springfield should have done this a little different, I really don't want to spend another 90 dollars on night sights.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear ya SonnyD. Believe me, If I had known that SA's custom shop does them like this, I would have sent it elsewhere. Now I'm looking at $90 plus the money I already spent with SA. To have it done right. It's aggravating.

I'll probably just shoot the pistol as is, and have fun with it for a while.

Tim

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
My 99 Champion hasn't any markings at all. I had a smith add a fibre-optic front and the difference is amazing. I have no need for lights, but these little fibre-optics are the greatest thing since sliced bread...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
gyp_c, you know I didn't even think of that. That would definitely be less expensive then tritium and probably look pretty cool. Do you have a picture of it you could post or email me? I'd appreciate seeing it.
Regards SonnyD

Originally posted by gyp_c:
My 99 Champion hasn't any markings at all. I had a smith add a fibre-optic front and the difference is amazing. I have no need for lights, but these little fibre-optics are the greatest thing since sliced bread...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts