1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Springfield Trophy Match and when you rack the slide, about half way back it begins to rub on the frame. Just appears to be sticking in one spot.

Is there a way to tell where the slide and frame are sticking at? I do not think it is the mainspring ILS system either, because it rubs even with the hammer already cocked back.

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you have full slide travel, and the rub isn't too severe, try running a couple of hundred round of hardball through the gun. Any high spots in the rails will either show up, or go away completely. Use common sense here. You'll know really quickly if the problem will go away, or if the guns needs professional attention. ==bob

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a stainless Springfield & the frame-to-slide was VERY tight. So tight it was a real bear to disassemble. It finally loosened up, but I did take some steel wool & gently rubbed down BOTH rails on the slide & frame. This seemed to help, but it's still very tight on the last 1/3 of movement, while disassembly.

If it's fairly new, as some else has already stated - run MORE ammo through it!

:rock: :rock:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'd remove the slde, take the barrel and bushing out of it and then install the slide by itself. Moving it back and forth will reveal any high spots...and as already mentioned...don't mistake the disconnector contact for drag.
And if there are indeed any high spots, I'd recommend you just shoot them out...couple of hundred rounds should do it. You could always lap it with some 1000 grit abrasive, but I wouldn't recommend it.
The best way of course, is to locate the high spot and remove it, but that's usually beyond the capability of most shooters.

Bob

·
Registered
232 Posts
Something I missed earlier. How far back is the slide when you feel the catch? If you are cycling the slide on a gun that is already cocked, you will feel a catch after about 3/4 to 1 in. of travel when the rear of the slide contacts the already cocked hammer. You won't feel this when racking the slide on an uncocked gun. ==Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts