1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me diagnose my SA TRP 10mm failure to feed issue. The SA in question had just about 1k down the tube. I haven't shot it much. Shot it today and ended up with some failure to feed issues. Using S&B which mic's a little wider than the Armscor ammo I usually use for target 10mm. The issue is happening with both Armscor and the S&B. It is also happening both with new Wislon 10mm magazines and the original SA mags that came with the gun. Seems logical to rule out the ammo and the magazines. The issue is happening with 2 rounds remaining in the magazine (occurring with both types of magazines).

Suggestions on where to begin?

Image showing what each of the FTF look like.

Hunting knife Grass Gun accessory Gun barrel Air gun

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It looks like the cartridge is in the correct position. It's hasn't been prevented from sliding up the breechface by the extractor or something goofy with the breechface. Could be crud in the barrel, a too tight chamber, or a seriously weak recoil spring. The thing is, none of those would seem to explain why this is only happening when there are two rounds left in the mag.

When this malfunction occurs can you complete the chambering of the cartridge by pushing forward on the slide?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Here’s what I’d do:
1. Check the barrel with a bore light to see if there’s any build up. If yes, clean it out with Hoppe’s 9 and a bronze brush.
2. See if a round will fall into the barrel easily. If not try another brand than the two you previously used. The lot of the ammo can possibly vary.
3. Measure the length of your recoil spring against a new one. If there’s significant variance install the new one.
4. Just for the heck of it try another mag.
5. If the problem persists check the extractor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the cartridge is in the correct position. It's hasn't been prevented from sliding up the breechface by the extractor or something goofy with the breechface. Could be crud in the barrel, a too tight chamber, or a seriously weak recoil spring. The thing is, none of those would seem to explain why this is only happening when there are two rounds left in the mag.

When this malfunction occurs can you complete the chambering of the cartridge by pushing forward on the slide?
You are good! I'm guessing the chamber might be a bit tight. Uneducated guess as 1911's are relatively new to me compared to Glock and Sig. Sooo, there is zero crud in the barrel. I am diligent with cleaning even if a weapon is not one I'll carry. Ramp and barrel are free of any build up. Recoil spring is OEM and has under 1k down the pipe. Shouldn't be the recoil spring, especially since I'm only shooting lighter target loads from Armscor and S&B. Good rounds, stouter than I expected but certainly not lighting up anything.

When the malfunctions occur, if I drop the magazine, the round moves forward and chambers, I then slam the magazine home. And it fires as it should.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here’s what I’d do:
1. Check the barrel with a bore light to see if there’s any build up. If yes, clean it out with Hoppe’s 9 and a bronze brush.
2. See if a round will fall into the barrel easily. If not try another brand than the two you previously used. The lot of the ammo can possibly vary.
3. Measure the length of your recoil spring against a new one. If there’s significant variance install the new one.
4. Just for the heck of it try another mag.
5. If the problem persists check the extractor.

Good luck.
No build up. NONE!

Ammo fits the chamber a ok on hand insertion.

No other recoil spring is available. This one is OEM and has under 1k of target (lighter loads than hot) ammo down the pipe.

I have 3 brand new Wilson Combat mags and the new SA ones that came with the pistol.

I could see the extractor needing fitting if it were a failure to extract, extraction is rather robust and inline with what you'd expect for a 10mm. I wish it were this, that is not a difficult issue to work to reliability.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I could see the extractor needing fitting if it were a failure to extract, extraction is rather robust and inline with what you'd expect for a 10mm.
Out of adjustment extractor not only causes failure to extract, but it also can cause feeding problem, if it's too tight it can keep the rounds from sliding up the breech face and get hang up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out of adjustment extractor not only causes failure to extract, but it also can cause feeding problem, if it's too tight it can keep the rounds from sliding up the breech face and get hang up.
Thanks. A lot to learn on the 1911 platform.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
When the malfunctions occur, if I drop the magazine, the round moves forward and chambers . . .
If you drop the mag, the slide pushes the round into the chamber and the pistol is in battery? You don't do anything other than dropping the mag?

If that is true then it's time to remove the recoil spring, the guide rod, the barrel, the barrel bushing, the hammer, and the disconnector. Pull the slide fully to the rear and seat an empty magazine. Very slowly push the slide forward while being alert to any contact between the magazine and the slide. Repeat this for each of the other magazines.

If there is contact, we may have identified the problem.

Another thought just bubbled to the surface. Remove the guts of the magazines so that all that is left is the tube and use it to test for contact. The reason is that the slide will necessarily make contact with the follower which will make you think there's the source of the problem but it's not.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you drop the mag, the slide pushes the round into the chamber and the pistol is in battery? You don't do anything other than dropping the mag?

If that is true then it's time to remove the recoil spring, the guide rod, the barrel, the barrel bushing, the hammer, and the disconnector. Pull the slide fully to the rear and seat an empty magazine. Very slowly push the slide forward while being alert to any contact between the magazine and the slide. Repeat this for each of the other magazines.

Another thought just bubbled to the surface. Remove the guts of the magazines so that all that is left is the tube and use it to test for contact. The reason is that the slide will necessarily make contact with the follower which will make you think there's the source of the problem but it's not.
Correct, drop the mag and the slide pushes the round into the chamber, fully in battery. Nothing else but drop the mag.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
@gunnut606 makes a good point.

If the stripped down magazine test doesn't show any evidence of contact, the next test would be to remove the extractor and manually feed cartridges from a fully assembled magazine.

To be extra safe you can remove the firing pin or the hammer when doing this test.

Push the slide forward just fast enough to strip a round from the mag and fully chamber it. Since this malfunction only happens when there are two rounds left in the mag there's no need to fill the mag to capacity. Just put in two or three rounds.

When I do this I put both thumbs on the back of the slide and push forward. Obviously, without the extractor in the pistol you'll have to upend the pistol to allow gravity to pull the cartridge out of the barrel.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I could see the extractor needing fitting if it were a failure to extract, extraction is rather robust and inline with what you'd expect for a 10mm. I wish it were this, that is not a difficult issue to work to reliability.
I had a similar problem as the OP with a used Les Baer 45 ACP. The gun had always ejected empty brass with no problems, throwing them about 10 feet at 3-4 o'clock. The previous owner claimed it was due to a tight chamber, although he didn’t tell me about the problem until the day after I bought the gun. After taking a close look at all the parts, I noticed that the extractor was a little long and pushing on the case bevel while not making contact with the case rim. Using Steve In Allentown's extractor fitting sticky, I shortened the extractor nose just slightly and adjusted the extractor. Fixed the problem for me.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm a complete nut when it comes to extractors. If the grip screws come loose, I blame it on the extractor. If the front sight pops off the slide, I blame it on the extractor. If the pistol goes full auto, I blame it on the extractor. I'm so into extractors that I even posted a little "how-to tutorial" about them. You get the idea.

However, in this instance where evidence has been presented that the malfunction is fixed when the magazine is removed, I just can't visualize how the extractor is at fault. I'm not saying it's not the problem. Stranger things have happened. I'm hoping the OP will take the time to run through the diagnostic tests and report the results so we can all learn from his experience.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Please help me diagnose my SA TRP 10mm failure to feed issue. The SA in question had just about 1k down the tube. I haven't shot it much. Shot it today and ended up with some failure to feed issues. Using S&B which mic's a little wider than the Armscor ammo I usually use for target 10mm. The issue is happening with both Armscor and the S&B. It is also happening both with new Wislon 10mm magazines and the original SA mags that came with the gun. Seems logical to rule out the ammo and the magazines. The issue is happening with 2 rounds remaining in the magazine (occurring with both types of magazines).

Suggestions on where to begin?

Image showing what each of the FTF look like.

View attachment 617767
I had stops exactly like this on a HC Caspian 5”45 built by Brian Bilby … I believe his Last full house build. The breachface dimensions were tight plus HC’d …certain ammo case head would not slide up the breachface channel. I took a fine needle file and burnished the channel side rails…. My terminology is off one can relate where a case heads makes contact. 100% after this even with GI ammo!! This gun originally sold to a guy on one of the big Hawaii island a big name smith couldn’t figure it out. I was lucky enough to acquire it Gun came with 10 unused Wilson mags in wrapper

Just a thought on clearances if extractor tension is correct. sorry for the length… a little Brian Bilby history should be tolerated here
H

·
Registered
949 Posts
I had an issue with my fairly new SA 10mm not chambering. S&B ammo was the original culprit. Won't pass the drop test. My chamber was too tight. I ended-up polishing it with a dremel and Flitz. I would assume this is an SA 10mm barrel thing? I than ran 5 different ammo brands through it (including the S&B) & it ran 100%. I tried around 8 different brands of ammo in the chamber, and they all seemed to fit differently. Winchester Silver Tips fit the loosest.

I'm nobody here, but I would polish the chamber/throat & get a fresh recoil spring. And try some US made ammo (if you can find any?).

·
Registered
392 Posts

Steve your bubble up is right on the money. Wilson Magazine have that little problem ,issues with there 9MM seems common.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had this same issue with my 10 MM TRP Operator. A local Smith polished the chamber and feed ramp as well as slide stop. Runs like a champ

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Possibly, probably low possibility, but still possible, as the # of rounds in the magazine drop, there's less weight in the grip, and shooter fatigue/limp wristing is the cause.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts