1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am having a difficult time deciding between these two pistols, the T.R.P and the standard fullsize "loaded". Other than the difference in price and the beveled mag well. What can be said in favor of the T.R.P over the fullsize? I know the differences should be clear to me but for some reason I don't see the distinction. What parts or custom work is done on the T.R.P that isn't done on the Full Size? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Kevin E.

·
Registered
101 Posts
To my knowledge, parts-wise the TRP has tritium sights, ambi-safety and the bevelled mag-well as you mentioned, plus alternative finish options. As for workmanship, all Springfields have the lifetime warranty but the TRP and the TRP-Pro have a little extra TLC exercised on them during production. The TRP is halfway between the $800 fullsize and the $2500 TRP-Pro (or Professional), which they can of course blag about the FBI contract (and i hope has a heck of a lot more TLC too!!). For $500, is it worth it to you? Certainly is to some people.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
It appears to me that Springfield has made the TRP much more attractive since they raised the price of the standard (2001) stainless loaded Gov't model to $829. And, this is without night sights. With those you're probably looking at close to $900. TRP has night sites, ambi safety, better "melting" on sharp corners, looks like a Brown mag well, and checkering on the frontstrap, all to go along with some obvious hand fitting of the barrel to slide, slide to frame. Most of this stuff ain't cheap. Add it up and it starts to even out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
293 Posts
it will all be up to what you want to spend. i found a place here in tulsa oklahoma that sells the 2001 loaded model WITH novak night sights for 699.00

the loaded also has a choice in finishs.

the springfield my brother bought simply needed polished on the ramp and chamber. its very accurate and smooth as can be while still being tight.

the trp is prob nice, but i wouldn't starve the kids for the price differfence!!

russel the cop

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Got nosey, so I checked the RSR wholesale prices on these guns. Stainless TRP with night sights is $954.95. Stainless loaded without night sights is $577.32. Add night sights to make them comparable, around $75, and you have roughly $650 wholesale in a stainless 2001 loaded Govt. Either way you look at it, retail, or wholesale, there is about $300 price difference in the two guns. Plus, you got to figure what you're going allow the dealer to make. Like Russel213 said, you gotta feed the kids first. But if your kids are feeding themselves, like mine, then in my opinion, and owning both, my TRP is a $300 better gun than my stainless loaded Gov't. Both excellent guns though.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have been looking at the Trophy Match and TRP lately. I gave Springfield a call and asked what the diffrences are besides adjustable sights on the Trophy Match. I was told the TRP has a better barrel and tighter slide to frame fit. Otherwise they are about the same. A local gun shop has both models with the Trophy Match about $100 less than the TRP. Right now I'm leaning towards the TRP. If it's alitte more accurate it is worth the 100 extra to me.

GunNut

1 - 6 of 6 Posts