1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've gotten lucky with gunbroker twice, but most of the time, I find their prices insane. so your experience matches up to that for sure. 1800 is too much
I agree. A couple hundred more and you're in used Springfield Pro territory.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Back from range, 100% function right out of the box, shot right to point of aim. with both Wilson Hap (760fps) and Rem Ball (835fps).
Again great trigger!
My son likes it better than the Colt Custom Shop Competition, me, it’s a toss up.
-Richard

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Back from range, 100% function right out of the box, shot right to point of aim. with both Wilson Hap (760fps) and Rem Ball (835fps).
Again great trigger!
My son likes it better than the Colt Custom Shop Competition, me, it’s a toss up.
-Richard
I appreciate the update, and that is very interesting comment about what you are comparing it to. That is helpful for me. Thank you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I pre-ordered one when they were announced earlier this year and it arrived about 2 weeks ago. I've owned somewhere around twenty 1911s over the years including factory stock Colts, Springfields and Kimbers, semi-custom Les Baers and full custom guns by Robbie Barkman and Ted Yost. I currently prefer SACS and own two Professionals.

I have not taken it to the range yet, but in terms of fit and finish I would rank the Vickers as one of the best out-of-the-box production 1911 I've handled and is on par with Dan Wesson, IMO. The fit and finish on my example is perfect. The thumb safety is very positive. The barrel lock up is just right. Makes that nice "snick" sound when going in and out of battery. The trigger breaks at a very clean 4.25 lbs. No extractor rotation. The Black-T finish is flawless. I paid $1,350 + tax for mine. Highly recommended. I hope they keep this in their product line-up for a long time. When people ask me which 1911 to buy this is now the one I will recommend.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I pre-ordered one when they were announced earlier this year and it arrived about 2 weeks ago. I've owned somewhere around twenty 1911s over the years including factory stock Colts, Springfields and Kimbers, semi-custom Les Baers and full custom guns by Robbie Barkman and Ted Yost. I currently prefer SACS and own two Professionals.

I have not taken it to the range yet, but in terms of fit and finish I would rank the Vickers as one of the best out-of-the-box production 1911 I've handled and is on par with Dan Wesson, IMO. The fit and finish on my example is perfect. The thumb safety is very positive. The barrel lock up is just right. Makes that nice "snick" sound when going in and out of battery. The trigger breaks at a very clean 4.25 lbs. No extractor rotation. The Black-T finish is flawless. I paid $1,350 + tax for mine. Highly recommended. I hope they keep this in their product line-up for a long time. When people ask me which 1911 to buy this is now the one I will recommend.

View attachment 599716
View attachment 599717
View attachment 599719
Eye opening comment and helpful with helping me spend less..... whenever I decide to impulsively buy that first true 1911. Maybe after the civil war?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a few minutes to kill today and even though I knew better I stopped by my favorite LGS and knowing I’m a sucker for 1911’s they showed me one of these Vickers Master Class guns. I thought about it for about 3 seconds and bought it. Haven’t shot it but initial impressions are positive. I agree with the previous comparisons to Dan Wesson. The slide to frame fit is flawless, not a hint of movement front or rear. The barrel and bushing are definitely not hard fit, which I prefer. The bushing can be turned easily by hand while fully assembled and in battery. That being said there is no movement at all pushing down on the hood. The extractor and ejector are blended with the rear of the slide perfectly. The Wilson Combat safety could have used a little more attention as there is a sharp edge on the bottom when the safety is off, you don’t feel it when holding the gun properly though. The trigger is averaging 4.5 lbs with just the slightest amount of creep, reset is perfect. The beavertail is fit perfectly, absolutely no side to side movement when depressed and is perfectly blended at the pin.
The texture on the slide, MSH, and front strap is interesting, I haven’t decided if I like it better than checkering or not, it does have a distinctive appearance and is very functional.

I love the sights, having a Wilson CQB already the u notch rear is very nice. Since this is my first Springfield I’m not as familiar with the “black-t” finish, it looks similar to parkerized to me, we’ll see how it holds up.

I will follow up with some pictures as well as a range report, all in all I’m pleased with the purchase so far, the only initial knock I can think of is I would have liked to see a magwell at this price point

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's alot of gun for the price.
Another option is I see alot of Wilsons and Nighthawks coming up on the used market.
About 5 months ago I bought a used Nighthawk 10-8 from Collectors firearms.
I detailed stripped and cleaned it. put a new Nighthawk spring kit in it.
So I have a Like new nighthawk and it cost me $2400 instead of the $3300 a new one would have cost me.
Alot of people buy these guns shoot them acouple of time and leave them in their gun vaults. Then when they need money they sell them off.
The guns are like new.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's alot of gun for the price.
Another option is I see alot of Wilsons and Nighthawks coming up on the used market.
About 5 months ago I bought a used Nighthawk 10-8 from Collectors firearms.
I detailed stripped and cleaned it. put a new Nighthawk spring kit in it.
So I have a Like new nighthawk and it cost me $2400 instead of the $3300 a new one would have cost me.
Alot of people buy these guns shoot them acouple of time and leave them in their gun vaults. Then when they need money they sell them off.
The guns are like new.
That right there is what I’m leaning towards. Waiting for a nighthawk or alchemy. While I wait, so some research on the custom builders. What I wasn’t expecting to find so soon, so many gorgeous options over on the other forum. I wanted to wait a few months

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am lucky enough to have a Nighthawk Agent 2 and an Alchemy Prime Elite, along with a Wilson, couple of Baers and a handful of DW, as far as fit and finish this Vickers is on par with the DW, nothing like the magic of Nighthawk, Alchemy, and Wilson, still for the price it seems like a good deal, so far, it decided to snow for the first time in 10 years so I haven’t shot it yet

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yeah that explains why the DW(s) sit and collect dust while that vickers is gone in one day. And thanks for sharing, I fell in love with a prime but doing more research on them. Already have a edc x9 and it’s great. But I figure it’s time to branch out. Get something I can work on too. Since the edc was so fun for me.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have been following this pistol since its introduction. It has a combination of features I find appealing, ring hammer, ball cuts, single safety, U notch rear sight with hi visibility front sight and checkered front strap. I have learned the initial run was 500 pistols and they may be gearing up for another batch soon. Availability was very tight until what seems like the last few weeks. I finally picked mine up today, serial number VT 197. I agree with previous comments, that the fit and finish is very nice. I would guess my trigger is close to 5 pounds but there is zero creep. I note that some online photos show a silver hammer and some show it in black-T, matching the rest of the gun. Mine is the latter. Other than the fact that the magazine is a Larry Vickers design made by Wilson, I don't understand why they used a design that hangs so far out the bottom of the magwell.Overall, I am certainly pleased by it, although I immediately swapped out the grips for Larry Vickers grips made by VZ. By chance, yesterday, I picked up another 1911 I had bought, while waiting for the Springfield. It is a Hillsdale made Les Baer Commanche in .38 Super and in excellent condition. As nice as nice as the Vickers is, it seems rather sterile beside the Baer, which has had time to develop some character. Looking forward to a road test of both. I used to know how to post a photo but as I got older, that was the second thing to go.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Larry Vickers base plates (first ones I think were Glock) were designed to have a good hand hold to rip out a stuck mag.

It appears the 1911 mags are the same but I agree, they are not lookers.... just functional.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm on the wait list for one of these. Great features at the price, arguably the best $1500 1911 out there. I've had Dan Wessons at similar cost, just something about them I'm not crazy about, can't quite say what exactly it is. I carry a SA RO Elite Compact almost every day and this Vickers Master Class would be an excellent companion for colder weather carry. Love the features of it.

About 17 years ago I sent a custom Colt to Walter Birdsong to have him finish in Black T. That pistol was used for carry and competition, the finish held up very well. The RO Elite aslo has the Black T finish, it's only about 6 or so months old but I'm happy with it as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
my priorities on this have shifted on this....and yeah, if I want to pursue this again, I like knowing that this is a value play. so thanks for your comment. Hopefully by the time I want to invest in this, it will be available under msrp.

I'm on the wait list for one of these. Great features at the price, arguably the best $1500 1911 out there. I've had Dan Wessons at similar cost, just something about them I'm not crazy about, can't quite say what exactly it is. I carry a SA RO Elite Compact almost every day and this Vickers Master Class would be an excellent companion for colder weather carry. Love the features of it.

About 17 years ago I sent a custom Colt to Walter Birdsong to have him finish in Black T. That pistol was used for carry and competition, the finish held up very well. The RO Elite aslo has the Black T finish, it's only about 6 or so months old but I'm happy with it as well.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts