1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Local shop has one in stock. I love the front sight, and it is nicely tight. Great trigger. I understand Vickers reasoning for the rear sight, but it's ugly, easy to change though. I thought the front strap treatment felt decent, though I like 25lpi better. The rear serrations are ugly. If it was in 9mm I'd probably whip my CC out, though I'm not a fan of celebrity branded guns.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm not crazy about the slide checkering, front strap checkering, or that huge rear sight.
The change of grips helps alot

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I'm not Whiten, of course. But those grips are sold by VZ, on their website.
I put the same grips on mine. Great minds think alike. Besides, who wants green grips on their guns? Several people have mentioned the rear sight. I have no problem with it. I like the U notch and the slight overhang bothers me not at all. Hope to get to shoot it this week.

·
Super Moderator
13,497 Posts
Several people have mentioned the rear sight. I have no problem with it. I like the U notch and the slight overhang bothers me not at all.
I don't have any problem with the rear sight either. It makes the gun looks retro-ish. Like the S&W 745 IPSC Commemorative and like LAV said, it's the sight that he had on his duty gun.

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
I don't have any problem with the rear sight either. It makes the gun looks retro-ish. Like the S&W 745 IPSC Commemorative and like LAV said, it's the sight that he had on his duty gun.
I completely agree. Plus it utilizes every bit of the slide!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I pre-ordered one when they were announced earlier this year and it arrived about 2 weeks ago. I've owned somewhere around twenty 1911s over the years including factory stock Colts, Springfields and Kimbers, semi-custom Les Baers and full custom guns by Robbie Barkman and Ted Yost. I currently prefer SACS and own two Professionals.

I have not taken it to the range yet, but in terms of fit and finish I would rank the Vickers as one of the best out-of-the-box production 1911 I've handled and is on par with Dan Wesson, IMO. The fit and finish on my example is perfect. The thumb safety is very positive. The barrel lock up is just right. Makes that nice "snick" sound when going in and out of battery. The trigger breaks at a very clean 4.25 lbs. No extractor rotation. The Black-T finish is flawless. I paid $1,350 + tax for mine. Highly recommended. I hope they keep this in their product line-up for a long time. When people ask me which 1911 to buy this is now the one I will recommend.

View attachment 599716
View attachment 599717
View attachment 599719
I have an old military buddy that is still on active duty that was able to get his hand on a Vickers Tactical at the end of October and he has been telling me that the Trigger on the Vickers is ALMOST as good as the one on his PRO Operator now I know how good the PRO pistols are and I have been trying to get a Vickers since I heard they where coming out! I have my FFL now and am on 3 different lists to get one from distributors but not joy yet but last email I got last week said that I should be able to get one the second week in January! Since you have BOTH PRO Modes is the Vickers that GOOD? I know that the SACS is working their magic on every Vickers pistol and they are using Wilson Combat Tool Steel Parts but the PROs are Tuned like a Swiss Watch!

·
Registered
341 Posts
The hammer strut, firing pin block, and ejector are mim. I’ll break my pistol back down and make sure that all.
View attachment 600349
Those parts are easy enough to swap out! My personal preference on Hammer strut is Titanium, Tool Steel for the Firing Pin Block and Ejector. Is the Ejector Pinned IN? Where did you get those GRIPS? I really like them!! Are they G10 or Micarta? They look really Sharp with the Pistol give it a MORE Traditional Look!

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don’t own a true 1911, and the Springfield vickers master class really caught my eye. Wanted to ask the group what their thoughts are on that and is there is anything else I should look at as well. I would like to stay with 45 acp or maybe 10mm.

with a msrp of around $1400, I typically over research everything. Perhaps there is a better value play out there that I’m overlooking. I’m thinking this might be a range gun or ‘Texas bbq gun’. So I’m in no hurry here, plenty of time.

I get that this might be vague but I like research and hearing what other people like to use.
This is a fighting, combat handgun. Def not BBQ nor range only.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The grips came with the pistol, I bought it used. The previous owner put them on. I don't like the green factory grips at all. You can buy a pair at VZ grips like I have in the pic.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I took mine to the range today for the first time. Only ran about 3-4 mags through it as it was a bit chilly out. I have a bunch of 1911's and this one ranks up there with some of the top brands. I love the sights. I think the U notch along with the large front orange ring is becoming my favorite combo. Accuracy left nothing to be desired. I'm a mediocre shot at best but at about twenty feet, it tore out the center of the target. The first few times I dry fired it at home, I noted that while it had zero creep, it was a bit heavy. After only running a few mags through it today, I noticed the trigger seemed smooth and considerably lighter. I measured it when I got home and found it to be 4.5 to 5 lbs but it feels lighter. To say I was pleased would be an understatement.

·
Registered
876 Posts
A well-made 1911 is not an inexpensive pistol. I think the best value in 1911s is Dan Wesson - they are half the price of a Wilson Combat (for example), but far more than half the gun. Dan Wessons are 100% machined metal - no MIM and no casting - and the fit is exceptional for a production gun. But several of their models push $2,000.
They are no longer the best value. They have raised their prices too far.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts