1911Forum banner

springfield vs. kimber

1393 9
Due to current econimic conditions, I have put off my handgun purchase for a couple more weeks which had allowed for additional research and browsing time.
A good warranty is very important to me since I have very limited knowledge of how to work on a gun. Springfield offers a life time warranty where as Kimber offers a 1 year warranty. What is everyone's experience when dealing with either companies regarding warranties? Has anyone approached Kimber with a problem after the warranty has ran out? What was their response?

In addition, I have decided to when I do purchase, it will be a full-sized grip, steel frame with a 4in barrel. This boils down to a pro-carry HD for kimber and a champion from Springfield. Anyone have comments on the advantages/disadvantages of either.

Thanks for your help,
-Chad
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
I have a stainless pro carry and I love it. I had Novak night sights installed and the gun has been flawless in about 750 rounds so far. I carry it in my job (security officer) and for personal use and it dissapears in the right holster. I own both Springfield and Kimber and Kimber seems to be a little better machined and so forth. Never used thier customer service though.
Hope this helps a little

· Registered
174 Posts
My Springfield Champion is great. I did have to send it back to SA for a slight adjustment to the slide lock, there and back in 4 days, SA paid for shipping both ways. Since then, no problems. I have never been able to warm up to Kimbers, shot some, held many, but there is something holding me back. I looked at them real hard 2 months ago, but ended up ordering a RRA instead. More money, but an outstanding reputation in the gun world. Now when I go to the range I bring my Champion and my Glock 30, the rest of my Glocks stay home. BTW, my Glock 30 is outstanding in the accuracy department, beats the Champion hands down-I am not kidding.

I like the Champion.

77Bronc

· Registered
130 Posts
Either are good I'd try both and see which fits you best. The Kimber has a lighter out of the box trigger, but the cocking serations on the SA are so sharp you can use it to grate parmesan cheese, so it's a toss up. My SA stainless loaded had a slide that broke in two (see 'something I'd thought I'd never see' thread on this board). The slide release lever on the Kimber is too small and the magazine release button is too long. Either is a fine pistol, but they both have their quirks.

· Registered
1,984 Posts
You can't go wrong with either one. Pick the one you like best. Personally I prefer Novak sights over thatever that thing is on the rear of the Kimber slide. But again, I don't like the boxy feel of the Springfield. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

· Registered
19 Posts
From my personal experience, and having owned and shot both, I prefer the Kimber for its out-of-the-box quality.

I have absolutely NO complaints about my Kimber Custom...On the other hand, my SA 2001 Loaded has an extremely heavy/gritty trigger, shoots 3" low and 4" left, and has an overabundance of sharp edges.

Even with the above short-comings, I am still happy with the SA because it is still a quality 1911 at a reasonable price. The problems are relatively easy/cheap fixes.

The attention to detail on the Kimber is superior both in form and function. Both launch .45 slugs reliably, but the Kimber is more accurate and has a MUCH better trigger out of the box.

The heavy trigger problem is something that seems to be vexxing SA these days.

Some folks intend on leaving their 1911's stock and expect a perfect running gun ot-of-the-box. And, in a perfect world, you should expect a problem-free gun at point of sale. In reality, SA, like many other 1911 "clone" manufacturers, mass produces their guns with a myriad of flaws. Some of these flaws are pretty much across the board in production (ie. heavy triggers) and some manifest themselves every few guns (ie. slides that break).

If you are just looking for a base gun with which to customize, go either way. But because these guns are generaly within $100.00 (the Kimber costing more), I'd go with the Kimber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.