1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Administrator
76,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Courtesy of JeffC and Seraph:

Basic Descriptions:

WW2 (GI) Model: Pistol closely replicates the basic 1911A1 as used by the US military for seven decades. Features:
  • high wall ("narrow") ejection port
  • low profile GI sights
  • lanyard loop on mainspring housing
  • vertical cocking serrations on slide

Mil-Spec: Pre-dated the G.I. model, adds some popular features/upgrades
  • stainless barrel and bushing (some models)
  • loaded chamber indicator (some models)
  • lowered and flared ejection port
  • high profile 3-dot sights
  • beveled magazine well
  • loss of the lanyard loop on mainspring housing
  • forward-raked cocking serrations on slide

Loaded: An upgrade from the Mil-Spec with even more of the most popular features/upgrades
  • beavertail grip safety
  • Novak sights
  • ambidextrious thumb safety
  • long 3 hole trigger
  • full length guide rod (2-piece)
  • front cocking serrations
  • flat mainspring housing

·
Registered
964 Posts
Kinda sad you guys had to make a sticky about this obvious answer.

My apologies and sympathies to you all. ;)

·
Administrator
76,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Locked In 1911 said:
Kinda sad you guys had to make a sticky about this obvious answer.

My apologies and sympathies to you all. ;)
Well, it was sufficiently obvious that we were getting two or three of this same question every week. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
GI.45 and Mil Spec Differences

If it's OK, I'm going to cut and paste my litany of Mil-Spec/GI.45 differences to this sticky. For months I have held on to it to inform folks. Subtle differences in finish packaging and such may or may not be up to date.

Original Mil-Spec
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-ms.shtml

PB9108L
Around $500
N or NM serial number
Lowered and flared ejection port
Slanted slide serations
Stainless barrel with chamber indicator
Three dot sights
Stainless bushing (some are parkerized)
Rounded front strap
Less machining marks under slide
Has crossed cannons logo on slide
No lanyard loop
Serated slide stop and mag release
Civilian teardrop safety
Short serated trigger
Sear and hammer pins are flat on right side
Black checkered plastic grips
Comes in parkerized, stainless, Armory Kote, and various sizes
Blue Plastic box

WWII Mil-Spec (GI.45)
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-GI.shtml

PW9108L
Around $400
WW serial number
GI style high ejection port
Straight slide serations
Parkerized barrel with chamber indicator (chamber indicator omitted on some newer models)
Military sights
Parkerized bushing
Blockier front strap (newer models have the rounded frontstrap)
More machining marks under slide
No ".45 Cal" or crossed cannon logo on slide
Lanyard loop
Serated slide stop and mag release
Sear and hammer pins are domed on right side
Civilian teardrop safety
Short serated trigger
Black checkered plastic grips (brown grips on newer models, and Springfield will send brown grips to you if you have an older model) Newest ones have wood.
Parkerized finish, Stainless, Olive drab Armory Kote and various sizes
Cardboard box, now Green Plastic Box

·
Registered
37 Posts
So what is the difference????

Just kidding. I just love when someone who knows nothing about firearms tries to act like they are an expert. I had my 1911 on one day when someone looked at it and said, "So how do you like your Glock?"

That was a bit different but thanks for the sticky...now if we can just get people to read it.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Maybe people will read it if we change the name of the thread to "Nude Pix of Hot Chix" or something catchy like that. :dope:

·
Registered
302 Posts
:rofl:

·
Registered
186 Posts
thanks...

thank you.

How does these functions...

1. "GI style high ejection port" vs. "lowered ejection port" ?
and
2. having a polished throat/ramp(?) in feeding to chamber...esp. LWC re-loads? Does the GI or the Mil-Spec have this polshed ramp?

...affect realiabilty at seven yards range.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Military specs called for vertical(or near vertical)ejection, hence the taller port. They can be tuned to be just as reliable as a lowered port, they are just less forgiving...and sometimes meaner to your brass ;).

I have gotten 100% reliability from every G.I. model I've had, with bullet shapes of all kinds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alright so I'll bite...

I have been hanging around the this forum for a while....and I think that I am going to purchase a Mil-Spec, in stainless. It is in my budget and it sounds like the perfect intro to 1911 pistols. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did My Homework

While it may be sad that a dedicated thread had to be created to distinguish the differences between the Springfield models, some of the external differences are subtle - especially to someone who hasn't done their homework.

I've been looking at getting an "entry-level" 1911 for quite a long time. I spend months just researching manufacturers and models - comparing one against the other. I finally settled on the Springfield Mil-Spec, desiring the little extras in this model over the "G.I." one.

Now I don't know about gun shows in other areas, but at the shows around the Tampa, FL area, I see several dealers with the G.I. models in their green plastic cases, but very few of the Mil-Specs. And even the G.I. cases have the words "Mil-Spec" printed on them, further adding to the confusion. At one point in my hunt for a Mil-Spec, my wife was convinced that the G.I. "Mil-Spec" guns were the ones I was looking for. When I finally found a table with a true Mil-Spec on it, I was able to point out the subtle external differences to her so she'd know the difference.

I've so far put 450 rounds through my Mil-Spec since I bought it this past weekend, and only had one failure to feed problem. I really like this gun, and it was worth every penny.

Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
I appreciate the effort that went into the detail of this comparison by DSK and XavierBreath.

At this point I think I'm going to do the SA GI. I was also offered an Auto Ordnance with a list price higher by $80, but a local dealer here offered me the AO for about $20 less than the SA GI. The GI seems to be at about $425 near Tampa.

ATF

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah yes the GI 1911

Just tried to squeeze the ol' budget for one of these beauties, but alas no blood left in the turnip this year. I can dream though. :bawling:

·
Registered
33 Posts
What about function?

I read this thread and I appreciate the outward differences but no one explains the functional differences.

Why is the Mil-spec more money normally? Does it function better than the GI Model?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
1 - 20 of 310 Posts