1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Springfield Armory XD's. I am impressed with the fit and finish. The XD has a beefy Locking BlocK compared to a Glock. I shot a .357sig and a .40 XD and was impressed. Recoil(muzzle flip) seemed a little more manageable than the Glock. I found the XD fits my hand better too. Any of you Guys Carry one on duty? Or been shooting one for awhile?

·
Registered
15 Posts
No XD for me

I don't like the XD that much. I think the Glock's trigger is better. And, from what I know and understand, Glock has a better torture test, better maintenence record, better failure ratio, and it has fewer parts to break. Its a superior handgun and might be the best pistol in the market after the ole' 1911s. XD has that weird chamber indicator in the back (not needed) and a grip safety that is one more bell and whistle than is needed with a DA gun.
Its just my opinion but why buy any other polymer pistol when you can buy the original and the best, the Glock? Glock simply doesn't break (well, not as much as all other handguns) and is combat accurate. When your life is on the line why settle for anything other than the most proven reliable gun on the market (excluding the 1911).
Of course, I carry a Glock for work and have fired the XD many times. I am trying not to be biased but I needed to tell you what I carry so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. I wouldn't ever carry any other gun for police work (patrol) for many reasons I won't go into.
Go for the Glock 22.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Two of the guys that I work with have switched to an XD, one from a Kimber, the other from a Sig 229. I have shot both of their XDs. Not for me, but they seem well built. I'm submititng a proposal for issued weapons, and it will probably be Glock, even though I found nothing to complain about the XDs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But lately

However, lately I have been thinking that I would choose the Glock first but maybe the Kimber Pro Carry II second. I am thinking that the SA maybe better than the DA/SA and DAO triggers. I am not as pro Glock as I once was but its still first on my uniform division LE list.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I will propose Glocks because of my experience with them in schools and matches, and they have proven themselves to me. Not for everyone, but I get to do the proposal as a Firearms Instructor, and there has been no feedback otherwise from the guys who will have to carry them, which I consider to be most important.

G

·
ITs GRRREEAAATTT!!!

Hello, I live about 30 minutes from the Springfield armory. My department is considering the XD for duty carry also. Since I am the Chief this may not be to difficult. I am aware that currently 5 departments in our area our carrying XD's. I have one also. I don't carry it only because, I love my 1911 to damn much. I have shot the XD, and consider it to a be great firearm. The only problem I have heard of is finding holsters....I know that Safariland makes one version.

G

·
Re: ITs GRRREEAAATTT!!!

usn rm3 said:
Hello, I live about 30 minutes from the Springfield armory. My department is considering the XD for duty carry also. Since I am the Chief this may not be to difficult.
A Chief that cares knows/cares what the troops are carrying. Fantastic:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
I used to carry an XD-40 for my duty pistol and it is still a nice weapon. I personally like the extra bells that an XD has. I had a glock and I liked the XD better. The angle on the grip is better for me. I like the trigger better, the glock wore my finger raw. I think it has better pointablity and it is resonably accrurat. I never had any malfunction of any kind using all kinds of good and bad ammuntion. I find it is much simplier to disassamble than the glock. My biggest complaint is the finish on the XD. Maybe it has a better finish now, I don't know. Why did I switch? I always come back to the 1911. Don't get me wrong the XD is a good duty pistol. Cheaper than the glock and though it does not have the track record, yet, I think it will be around for a long time. I have two of them. That is, until my buddy buys one of them from me.
Wolf

·
Registered
45 Posts
Greetings. I own an XD 9mm subcompact. It now has about 600 rounds through it. I compare it roughly to the Glock 27 I once owned and (thankfully) got rid of.

I had a lot of problems with the Glock which are too numerous to go into here. Suffice to say that FOR ME, the Glock 27 was an effort to stuff too much power and cartridge into too small a package, resulting in early and often shooter fatigue and a lack of reliability (misfire/slide out of battery every 20-30 rounds). The gun was difficult to hang onto, but was very accurate. The finish was very tough and stood up to weather, sweat and everything else like a trooper. Please note-I'm not knocking Glocks-my issued duty weapon at the time was a Glock 22, which I liked very much-very reliable, accurate and easy to shoot. The fault, if any, was mine. The problems with the Glock never got resolved and it got traded in.

The XD has proven to be an excellent pistol, easy to shoot and maintain. My XD was about $75 cheaper than the Glock.
The XD's grip, FOR ME, is much more ergonomic and controllable than the Glock's. The XD has proven to be reliable with all sorts of 9mm ammo and is currently loaded with Blazer 115-grain JHPs, which have proven to be very reliable in this gun. The XD is easy to field strip and clean. The gun is very accurate, although my particular piece shoots slightly to the left and there is no inexpensive sight tool available to correct this problem (unlike the Glock). The external finish on the XD is not nearly as sturdy as the Glock's Tenifer finish. I liken the XD's finish to Parkerizing +P.

The XD is slightly larger and taller than the Glock. As noted above, there are not yet many holsters for the gun, but I think that will change with time, because people are buying them a lot.

I think the XD is a very fine pistol and I recommend it highly. If you have the chance, try shooting the XD subcompact and the Glock 26 or 27 side by side and you'll immediately detect the better ergonomics of the XD. Springfield already makes the XD standard sized pistols in .40 and I hear that the subcompact will also be coming out in .40 before long. I don't personally care for the .40 cartridge and am perfectly happy with the 9mm, particularly with cheap practice ammo readily available.

Good luck on your decision.

Bob

·
Registered
189 Posts
SGT,

You also might want to try the Springfield section of the board...I think lots of them have tried the XD, although you may not get the LEO feedback you're looking for.

Good luck!

Travis

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a CCW holder and carry my XD-9 Sub Compact everyday in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster. I clean it every week whether I shoot or not and have had no problems out of it. I put about 600 rds of Win White Box through it and have not had one malfunction. It is the best gun I have ever bought and plan on buying an XD .40 cal when it comes out.

The finish has never been a problem for, even on a hot sweaty summer day. (May be due to the fact that I clean it every week!!!) I have found it to be very easy to conceal and shoot. My vote is for the XD. I dont think you'll be displeased.

BTW: I purchased a black stainless PX9152L yesterday and i think the wife stole my XD from me. I made the mistake of letting her shoot it over the weekend. She now prefers it over her Beretta Tomcat for her CCW.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here's a link to forum that has a lot of information on the XDs.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/

You may want to take a look, enjoy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
as a matter of fact

I asked the Chief of our Training Division about that last week. He hasn't had a chance to evaluate one yet, and the Springfield XD isn't on our department list of approved carry weapons.

This from a guy who likes guns, likes cops, and will put anything on the list that he has had a chance to evaluate properly. Right now, about a dozen weapons are on the approved list. If he has a chance to look at one, and it runs like it is supposed to, I'm sure it will be approved for carry.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Chuck Taylor, a gun magazine writer who owns the Glock 17 used in the famous 167,000 round (so far) torture test, also has a Springfield XD9 that he's putting through the paces, and he likes it as much or better than his Glock 17. He has about 10,000 failure-free rounds through it so far.

Chuck Taylor said:
However, with the XD-9 I did what no other HCM candidate or I had ever done before: I shot a perfect score. With the Glock 17 I did well, no questoin about it, shooting a 392. . . . Were I to use a feature-by-feature comparison to the Glock 17, I'd undoubtedly come to the conclusion that the XD-9 is a better pistol . . . it does handle better than a Glock 17 in the hands of most shooters.
For what it's worth, the "weird chamber indicator" on the back of the slide is actually the cocking indicator, a good idea of a striker-fired gun where no hammer is visible (or even present). I like both Glocks and the XD; I just feel that the XD addressed some problems that the Glock had and so far, is holding its own quite nicely.

Andy

The Big Dog said:
I don't like the XD that much. I think the Glock's trigger is better. And, from what I know and understand, Glock has a better torture test, better maintenence record, better failure ratio, and it has fewer parts to break. Its a superior handgun and might be the best pistol in the market after the ole' 1911s. XD has that weird chamber indicator in the back (not needed) and a grip safety that is one more bell and whistle than is needed with a DA gun.
Its just my opinion but why buy any other polymer pistol when you can buy the original and the best, the Glock? Glock simply doesn't break (well, not as much as all other handguns) and is combat accurate. When your life is on the line why settle for anything other than the most proven reliable gun on the market (excluding the 1911).
Of course, I carry a Glock for work and have fired the XD many times. I am trying not to be biased but I needed to tell you what I carry so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. I wouldn't ever carry any other gun for police work (patrol) for many reasons I won't go into.
Go for the Glock 22.

·
Registered
902 Posts
XD is hot!

I am going through our department's requirements regarding the submital of guns for the approved weapons list and the XD looks like it will get approved. Several agencies allow the pistol and I don't have the list in front of me but a few are issuing the weapon. I too like the feel of the pistol's ergonomics and it's natural point of aim seems more like a 1911 to me. I tend to have to bring the Glock down a bit to get it right on target for accuracy. I really like the XD's extras like the ambi-mag release and loaded chamer indicator. I went through the XD armorer cours a few months ago and I must admit the lower receiver is a bear to take apart and reassemble. One thing that really impressed me is the felt recoil. I have put a little over 2000 round through mine without a single problem. I intentionally "limp-wristed" it to try to stove pipe a casing like Glock tend to do and I could not get it to jam. Says alot for reliability. I was suprised to hear from the SA rep that the XD is considered a single action firearm by the American Pistolsmith's Guild. I look forward to carrying mine when we get the approval. Haugen Leather makes great holster for the gun!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
In regards to its similarity to the 1911, it's because both have the same grip angle of 105º, whereas the Glock's is 107º. :D A natural pointer for me. I'm always surprised at how well I shoot the XD at the range (the rental, that is).

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts