1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have trouble getting the thicker dustcover Springfields to fit well in good leather holsters (i.e. Alessi, Sparks, Rosen ,etc.) made for Colts?

I would imagine the fit would be very tight, but do they eventually break in?

Thanks!

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Yes, they can fit. Just insert the Springfield carefully into the Colt holster, leave it in for a little while, drawing and reholstering the pistol carefully every once in a while. The leather will adjsut.

When I got my new Rafter S holster for my Springfield 1911, it had been molded to fit a Colt, but before long it was easy to draw and reholster the Springfield, but still held the gun securely.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by Litespeed:
Anyone have trouble getting the thicker dustcover Springfields to fit well in good leather holsters (i.e. Alessi, Sparks, Rosen ,etc.) made for Colts?

I would imagine the fit would be very tight, but do they eventually break in?

Thanks!
Usually if you oil the holster down a bit and then put the gun in, it will break in.
Draw it and reholster it a few times, that will also help...

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
While leather will stretch a bit, kydex won't. I have some kydex holsters made for Colt 1911's that the Springfields will not fit in.

Rosco

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks everyone. Dad's new holster should be here soon, we'll try breaking it in.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Litespeed, if the holster is too tight, wrap the gun in a baggie, or put it in the bag it came in. Let it set in bag overnight. The next morning it should fit just right.

--------------
Raspy

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It'll break in fine. I use to carry my Colt Anaconda in a Bianchi Cyclone made for a S&W. The Springfield dust cover is a much smaller adjustment in the moulding.

Mac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts