1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always heard that Springfiled pistols were great foundations to build a custom gun on. I recently acquired a parkerized finish Springer compact frame, purchased as a complete lower at a great price! Being a Colt guy and not really knowing what I was buying, I assumed it was dimensionally similar to a Colt Officer frame and that it would accomodate a commander length slide. Boy was I wrong. It is about 1/4" shorther than a Colt Officer frame and my commander slide I intended to use has a gap between the slide and the dust cover. I think this frame is what they call an Ultra Compact.

My questions are:
1) Is there a manufacturer out there like Caspian that can leave the lower front part of the slide a little long as a "custom" slide or is there some mechanical reason this will would not be a feasible option for building a weapon in this configuration?
2) Also, is the ramp cut in this frame (the factory ramp cut from what I can tell) a Nowlin/Wilson cut or is it some type of Springer specific cut?Thanks!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Caspians frames do have a longer dust cover. An Officer's frame would work just fine. As for the frame ramp cut...mmmmm check that on caspian's site. I think they have a pic shown of the two types.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Ockenfuss ~

As I was reading your first paragraph, my first thot was 'its probably not a Compact frame, but a UC frame.', but your 1/4" remark reminds me - the Compact is 1/4" shorter than a Commander. That is why I like the Compact (vs. the Officers). It seems to have better balance, maintaining the full-size 1911 ratio of height to length.

Question 1 - Can you get a custom slide with an extended recoil plug housing? I am sure you can, but never have heard a cost. Does lengthening the recoil plug housing (front/lower part of slide) come into play during operation of 1911? Yep. Seems to me anyway. I can't give you a swap chart but I have tried various combos between full, Commander, Officers, Compact, UC, and Micro ... and mine aren't universally interchangeable.

Question 2 - 'IF' it is a SA factory cut it should be the W/N cut (vs. Clark/Para). If it were 'custom ordered', it might be a C/P, but not likely unless you are just one unlucky guy!

If you can, you should try a Compact slide on that frame. I think you will like the balance and shootability vs. any shorter or lomger slides. It is definitely my favorite for a carry gun that is also a shooter. Good luck, ay?

~ E Mont

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The ramp cut is definitely the factory profile so a W/N it is. I currently have a 40/10 Commander length slide made by Caspian for Clark and originally purchased the frame to use with that slide to build a "Pocket Rocket" 10mm in honor of Brian Bilby. Having mostly Colts, I guess the thought never occured to me that there was a "Ultra Compact" frame. DOH! I have decided at this point to call up Caspian and order me a Compact/Officer slide, but will probably get one in .40 caliber. I already have 2 Colt Officer's ACP in 45, so another one doesn't appeal to me that much. Additionally, I plan to use a Schuemann barrel for this build. Please let me know if there are any pitfalls in this plan I need to be aware of before starting as I this will be my first Springfield frame to base a project on. Thanks once again, and in advance.... Ock

1 - 5 of 5 Posts