1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this should be in the smithing section but more fellow DW members may see this here. You old timers probably already know.

Springs don't wear out by storing magazines loaded and hammers back!

Specifically the magazine springs and the mainsprings. You may carry condition one indefinitely and they just won't loose pressure.

Only cycling the springs will wear them out. Heavy cycle counts will weaken springs.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Maybe this should be in the smithing section but more fellow DW members may see this here. You old timers probably already know.

Specifically the magazine springs and the mainsprings. You may carry condition one indefinitely and they just won't loose pressure.

Only cycling the springs will wear them out. Heavy cycle counts will weaken springs.
I have some mags that have been fully loaded under stress for about 5 years,
that is my opinion.............

Clyde

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Springs wear out from use (being compressed, released, compressed) not from being compressed for any length of time. Plenty of stories around of old mags from back during WW2 being found loaded, and functioning fine.

·
Banned
2,416 Posts

Thanks for the reminder. I hear the other crap so much that I begin to believe it, and go down-load all my mags and drop all my hammers...

Your post has reminded me to ignore the bad advice of others! :rock:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a Glock magazine that I have kept loaded for over 18 years. Each year I fire off the clip and then reload it and put it away. I am just waiting for the spring to sag. The problem the only thing sagging is me thinking that it would happen after 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
359 Posts
thanks so much for the info! I JUST inspected my chip mccormicks right before I saw this thread, worrying about leaving them fully loaded for long periods of time. I guess I don't have to rotate my magazines around huh? with 8 round magazines, is it recommended to load all 8 rounds? Or just 7?

·
Registered
375 Posts
thanks so much for the info! I JUST inspected my chip mccormicks right before I saw this thread, worrying about leaving them fully loaded for long periods of time. I guess I don't have to rotate my magazines around huh? with 8 round magazines, is it recommended to load all 8 rounds? Or just 7?
good question, I always load 8

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is made for eight so fill that puppy up to the top!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts