1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back my IPSC open gun with a 4port comp. It got the slide lightened and hardchromed. It is pretty to say the least. I sent it out with my plate loads and a 9lb spring. I hoped that the lighter slide would help functioning with the plate loads(88gr jhp at 1250)but i am having more FTF. I then tried my experiment 165PF loads that are running 160pf(I know, I will bump up the powder on the next batch)
and the gun perks with the 9lb spring, just dumping out the brass about 2ft from the gun in a pile. I of course am estatic about this, but Am stumped about the dawgone plate loads. I guess I am going to go up in bullet weight, probably 115s, and or pumping up the velocity on the 88s. Anything else I can try? Mainspring is 19lb brown, FP stop is beveled at bottom, gun is reliable to a fault with good ammo, and I case gauge all my rounds. Appreciate your help in advance.

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

[This message has been edited by pingun.45 (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
88s will be hard to make work and for steel I think the 115s would be better.Been down that road. If the slide was just chromed it may still be a little tight/sticky. Try a 17#Wolff MS or a 15.5 ISMI MS.If you go down on recoil spring it will probably start getting a little clunky feeling when feeding.

Bill

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got ahold of my smith yesterday, He fessed up to putting the wrong recoil spring in, my spring is on the way back. No harm, no foul, ordered some 115s yesterday anyway to try, but I will get the 88s to work! Thanks, DC

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts