1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this hasn't been beaten to death in other posts (if so, just let me know) but what are the stock springs in a Kimber Custom Classic? I am at the point of replacing the important ones in mine and don't want to deviate too much from the stock springs.

The recoil spring seems stock at about 16#. I am wondering about the firing pin spring and mainspring. I usually use an extra power firing pin spring and a reduced power mainspring (19#) on my Colts and my one Wilson. Does Kimber use similar spring weights or should I expect to have to recalibrate the pistol with new springs?

There is nothing in the manual about spring weights.

Thanks,

Tim

------------------

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Tphipps

There is nothing special about the springs used in the Kimber Custom Classic, it is the pistols with the shorter (less than 5 inches) slide lengths where different spring rates matter in a Kimber.

You are correct Kimbers come with a 16# recoil spring, though most of us will probably suggest replacing it with an 18.5# spring. As the 16# spring is really not enough for ammo that may be loaded hotter than standard velocity. The extra power firing pin spring is a good idea, and Wolf Gunsprings sends one with their recoil springs. Since you have a Wilson and more than one Colt you probably already know this. So your current practice with your other pistols will work just fine.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with Str8_Shot. After 600 rounds fired on my Eclipse, I was still having FTF's with the stock Kimber 16 pound spring. I switched to a Wilson 18.5 pound and I haven't had a single FTF since.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I shoot 230 ball, and I put a Wilson kit in mine. 18# recoil, 16# hammer(main), and a firing pin spring(#?) and am quite happy. Also added a shock buff. This kit also came with a softer recoil spring for lighter ammo. I replace the recoil spring every 1000rds (more often than needed). To me, a 'fresh' recoil spring is pretty important, and the stock spring is too short, and not heavy enough for constant 230 shooting. It's sort of 'all purpose'. --HD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch. I just finished putting an 18 1/2# recoil spring, 19# mainspring and extra power firing pin spring in the Kimber and it is feeding better than ever.

Thanks,

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts