1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its sunday and no one at dillon to help. thought i'd run this by you...i will, every once in a while develope a weird timing problem with my SDB that effects the primer drop, ie: no primer or flying primer, etc.
i've cleaned it, made small adjustments to the set screw on the right side of the ram but nothing seems to work. i checked the plastic tip on the end of the primer fill tube but to be honest, i'm not sure what a bad tip or good tip looks like. and for that matter, just how do we know that tube and tip are installed right? i,m a 15-20 min drive from dillon
...but i was hoping to get a little shooting in today, thanks very much in advance!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have had both problems. No primer drop is usually caused by the setscrew under the small thin metal tab, which bends back by lowering the handle on the primer drop tube. By backing out the setscrew it will allow father travel of the primer cup so a primer may drop in. As for 2nd issue flying primers this is usually caused by the primer seating pin not seated all the way in the white plastic holder and is catching on your shell plate as it make its advancing turn. To fix this problem you must remove the primer drop tube assembly and reseat the primer punch pin inside the primer cup by losing the setscrew on the white plastic primer slide and pressing down on the pin while retighten the setscrew. Also remove your shell plate and clean under it any small material under may cause a timing hic-up and catch on the primer seating pin. I hope this is of some help

[This message has been edited by bowhunter (edited 11-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by bowhunter (edited 11-25-2001).]

·
Registered
126 Posts
My flying primers were caused by binding from dirt buildup. A can of compressed air solves that prob!!

·
Banned
217 Posts
Next time you buzz by Dillon, pick up some of those red plastic primer tips. Also make sure that the primer follower doesn't have a kink in it.

By the way, does it do this when the primer tube is full or empty? Full indicates something a touch more mechanical. Empty indicates the tip or follower.

One more thing, once in a while you can get an oversize primer, i.e. the diameter is just a touch too large. Said primer will mess everything up until it is cleared.

Up here in Oregon, where it gets below 100 degrees
, cold temperature will cause the tip not to flex enough to let go of a primer.

I'll assume your SDB is mounted on a bench that won't flex and jump while cycling.

------------------
Have a great day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts