1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reload 10,000 + shotgun shells a year and have decided it's time to start loading .45. I have 2 Mec 9000G progressive loaders for shotgun and I'm a little leary about getting anything but progressive for .45. The Dillon 650 is more than I want to spend right now but I'm not sure if I'll be happy with the square deal. What are the issues with the Square Deal? I've been told that even changing calibers is a real pain. If I only load .45 will I be happy with it?

I've also been told to look at the RCBS 2000 even though it doesn't auto-index. What can I expect from this machine.

Or...should I just wait and get the 650 in a few months. I shoot 100-200 .243s a year so I guess I could load them as well but it's not a big issue.

Additionally, what should I expect to pay per thousand for cast bullets? And which bullets seem to feed the most consistantly?

Thanks.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I'd get the SDB, setup for .45acp.

If you do outgrow the SDB you'll discover that they are easy to sell - they're very popular and hold their value.

I'm like you. I shoot zillions of .45acp and a couple hundred rifle round a year. I have an SDB for the zillions and a rock chucker for the hundreds.

I turn out 300 45acp during a 1 hour session, without trying, and that includes setup time. I probably suffer from ADD because I get pretty bored after an hour. I never usually shoot more than that per week.

Dillon's service is first rate. I did have a small part break after 30,000 rounds and they just about fell over themselves getting me a replacement. Nice folks to deal with.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
323 Posts
The only real limitation of the Square Deal is that it is a pistol caliber only reloader. You can't load rifle on it. You can buy tool heads to change it over quickly so that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The Dillon Square Deal is a great little progressive reloader. I am happy with mine. You can't beat Dillon's support and no BS warranty.

Ed.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Dillon is truly a giant in the business field (not just guns/reloadig gear). They actually do business with character, which is very hard to find these days. Everything I have ever bought from them has been top notch.

·
Registered
126 Posts
BUYADILLONBUYADILLONBUYADILLONBUYADILLONBUYADILLONBUYADILLON SHOOT SAFE!!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Another positive thing about Dillon, besides the great warranty and customer service, is that their product line has been pretty stable over the last 20 years. The task of finding parts and caliber conversions for Dillon machines is a simple phone call away, and many local gun shops have common parts and accesories on hand.

RCBS, on the other hand, has had at least 3 different progressive presses during the same time period. When was the last time you saw a full line of 4x4 shell plates for sale at your local gun shop? I used to see AmmoMaster shell plates, but they are also becoming scarce. RCBS changes their stuff too often, and we are stuck trying to find parts or caliber conversions.

I like the fact that Dillon's stuff is easy to find and that they back it up without question. My 550 is over 20 years old, and I am not the original orner. When my powder measure broke a few years ago, the sales rep didn't care how old the press was or ask for my original sales receipt. Instead, the Dillon rep said "we have recently ugraded the powder system on the 550, let me send you a new one." The day after I mailed them the broken one, the new one was at my door and included an updated 550B owners manual. How can you beat that? Dillon loaders are a bargain at twice the price!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'll probably be branded a heretic, but here goes:

The Dillon products I own are first rate. So are the RCBS and Hornady. AFA customer support, RCBS comes out on top. The cap on my Dillon kinetic bullet puller broke and sent the collet into the backyard. Never did find it. Called Dillon and they sent me a new cap free-of-charge, but I had to pay for the collet. I called RCBS and told them I lost my primer tubes and they sent me a set free-of-charge. Called another time after I broke my homemade adapter off in the trimmer shaft. Sent me a new one free-of-charge. Dillon is a fine company, but RCBS, IMO, has a shade better service. AFA product quality, I see no difference. Find what suits your needs.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get the dillon 550. You can load 45s by the hundreds or use it as a single stage for the 243. The nice thing about the Dillon is that they are flexible.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Get the 550,I have a SDB and a 550, if I had to do it all over again, I'd bypass the SDB, and buy the 550,you can use any mfg dies,they'll load just about any rifle cartridge on the planet,any pistol cartridge,they are very flexable, Don't get me wrong, the SDB is a fine machine,(it's what got me started on progressive presses) But it's limited to handgun calibers only,with the 550 you can do either rifle or pistol, I'm loading 10 diffrent calibers on mine, (2handgun calibers, 8 rifle) So far, it's been worth every nickel spent on it!! Would I go back to a single stage? Hell,NO!!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I have a Dillon XL650 and I'm not satisfied with it or their customer service. Some day when I have more time I'll write a post on all the bad experience I've had with this press and list what they said to do to cure the problems, some replies were comical. I'm seriously considering selling the 650 and buying the RCBS Pro 2000. I sold a Pro 2000 to a customer and he seems to be very pleased with it.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have owned an RCBS Rock Chucker since the early 70's with no complaints, I owned a Dillon SDB and eventually sold it, but not because it was giving me problems. The SDB did not allow me to reload wildcat ammunition like the RCBS RC, also there are more dies available for the RCBS RC than the SDB. Other than that both presses are fine to use just depending on what you are reloading.

TC

------------------
Member Disabled American Veterans

·
Banned
217 Posts
Frankly, I think the caliber conversion issue is a bit over blown. Why? Because if you are going to do multiple pistol calibers and you want to change over quickly you'll discover that magically there is not much difference in price between 550 and SDB conversions.

If you are really going to load a lot of rifle and a lot of pistol the 550 is the best route. But if you are going to load a lot of pistol, the only press faster than the SDB is the 650 with the various feeders.

Now for the clincher: If I was going to produce a whole bunch of two pistol calibers I would put two SDBs on my reloading bench.

The only negative I have with Dillon is that they are too lazy to support anything other than straight-walled pistol with the SDB.

There are one time costs associated with starting to load a caliber. After that you are either (a)reloading to kill time while your wife watches Gilmore Girls or (b)cranking out a bunch of ammo so you and the guys can do some shooting. The folks in the (a) category like to fondle/measure/polish/admire each round. People like me in the (b) category like to fill up ammo boxes with high-quality ammo - quickly.

The SDB suits my needs just fine.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you even have the slightest inkling that you might want to reload .243 down the road, then save your money and "wait a couple months" and buy the 650. I have a SDB and it is the absolute best I have ever seen for the money. You will be thrilled with any Dillon machine you order, just a matter of whether you're goiing to reload that .243 or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts