1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Have a new for me issue today - I decided to go with a different gun for CC today and the holster/belt combo is really really squeaky. It is an all leather Kelley's IWB (snap-on) on a MS 1.5 belt. I routinely carry in MS VM2 IWB holster and it is noiseless. What gives - does it mean the Kelley's holster isn't broken in yet? The Sparks is a much older holster but I never notices any undue squeaking from that one. Any leather treatment to alleviate the noise?

It may sound as a funny and petty issue, but my office is VERY quiet. It is one thing to pack in a mall, but any time I move I bet some of my coworkers take notice.

Thanks in advance!!!
Val

·
Registered
382 Posts
Really depends on where it's squeaking from, sometimes it can be the two pieces against each other(front and back of holster) but that's not common on a new holster. If it's where the loops go over the belt(if it's a loop style) then a little bit of wax there might help, you can use kiwi neutral shoe polish in most cases don't slather it on just rub some into the area the strap contacts the belt. You could also try paraffin or something along those lines, a candle in a pinch would work for the same reason. Wouldn't hurt to check with Kelly before doing anything but typically as long as your not oiling or conditioning the holster you won't do damage. The Kiwi has a little conditioner in it, which is why you don't want to overdo it;)

Take care!

Luke

·
Registered
382 Posts
Beware of overusing a chapstick, that's basically a Vaseline product which is petroleum which can/will break down the leather like an oil/conditioner over time. Might not hurt here and there but something at least to be aware of;)

Luke

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Luke!!!
I actually have some Kiwi so I can try it right away.
I checked it again and it is from the loops/belt friction. It isn't the holster itself.

·
Registered
382 Posts
That should be a fairly good safe bet, I find once and a while it's the edges of the belt on my one OWB rig that will get slightly noisy and a touch of something like that to lubricate the edge tends to do the trick. Sometimes it's just the main part though so it depends on the rig;) Good luck!

Luke

·
Registered
610 Posts
I assume it's the holster's loops squeaking on the belt. When I suggested Chapstick, I intended to transfer a small amount to the inside of the loops with a fingertip. It won't take much, & would probably stop squeaking soon enough on it's own. I can't envision a small amount of paraffin based lip balm doing any damage to your loops.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I assume it's the holster's loops squeaking on the belt. When I suggested Chapstick, I intended to transfer a small amount to the inside of the loops with a fingertip. It won't take much, & would probably stop squeaking soon enough on it's own. I can't envision a small amount of paraffin based lip balm doing any damage to your loops.
Actually your spot on for some reason I thought Chapstick was petroleum based but in a quick google it looks like they are paraffin and other waxes with other stuff. Probably fine for the purpose, the only reason I brought it up was typically with squeaking gear it's not a one time fix, so when it starts up a few months from now and gets another treatment it adds up over the life of the gear;) And loops are one of those things that get allot of stress and abuse over the life of the gear.

So just trying to air on the safe side for his new holster;) Anything used just use a small amount.

Take care!

Luke

·
Registered
150 Posts
For those wondering boot polish works to solve the leather on leather rubbing/squeak as well. But talc powder seems to work best if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I always use beeswax, like Sno-Seal. It also softens the leather considerably and makes it break in/mold to your body very quickly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Keep in mind that with some holsters you'll void the warranty adding oil and wax. Not sure how the hybrid companies handle that but may be an issue to consider.

Take care

Luke

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I like the idea of Sno-Seal. Did you heat the leather first?
I do. I typically set it nearby the wood stove or use a space heater to warm it up. Two or three applications really make it very pliable, just make sure to wear it to break it in. I put just a little bit on, cold, underneath the belt clips to keep those from squeaking and that will take care of those for a few months typically.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Keep in mind that with some holsters you'll void the warranty adding oil and wax. Not sure how the hybrid companies handle that but may be an issue to consider.

Take care

Luke
Just an FYI: I don't know about other companies, but Crossbreed and Old Faithful both recommend that you take care of the leather with a high quality product. They don't recommend any specific ones, but both companies emphasize the fact that the leather will perform better and last longer with good maintenance.

·
Registered
523 Posts
DoctorV,

Renaissance Wax is more expensive than other similar products. But I bought a 200 ml can of it from Brownells several years ago, and I'm pretty sure that's the only can I'll ever need to buy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts